Sooo, CAt' got scratched,,, finally !!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
So what happened? What caused the accident?

Does this bring your Bazzazz project to an end, or is it being transferred to the 2012?

OP
OP
Catmandu2
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
So what happened? What caused the accident?
Two days after the incident,,, I was still asking myself the same thing,,, Andrew. But the basics were that I was on the tail end of a 4 vehicle chain reaction. I swerved hard,,, but needed another inch or two,, to clear the skidding suv in front of me. The lead vehicle left the scene,, and was faulted by the police,,, but no charges or tickets were laid. When I came up on my feet, in the right hand lane,,, and took a big step backwards onto the sidewalk to safety.

So I was very fortunate to have a glancing contact on the suv's rear side quarter panel (but her RR wheel was twisted out about 10-15 degrees) ,,, and then dissipated the remaining energy with a lucky judo roll. My biggest injury is to my right shoulder,,, no break or fracture,, just soft tissue. I am pretty sure I will be able repair BlueSTar,,, and will keep the Bazzaz project on it. Although I had been neglecting my Bazzaz thread,,, that project was really going great. I will update that thread soon,, but I doubt that I will do much more than test ride BlueSTar before the spring. I am just waiting for the insurance company to release her back to me. I already have new side cowls and a few other parts waiting for me to pick up in Toledo (border is closed to me). No worries,,, as riding ThunderSTruck is the best therapy for me,,, better than wrenching (no pun intended) in this heat wave. My inclination is to keep ThunderSTruck mostly stock,,, and maintain BlueSTar as my totally farkled wonder bike !!! Wow,,,, pass me the tylenol,,,, CAt'

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Hey Cat.....glad to hear you're ok!
Accidents usually don't fare very well for a motorcycle rider, good to see you were lucky to not receive any major damage.
Don't you find the ground gets harder as we get older? :)
Another successful ATGATT story though!
Take care.....

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Wow Cat. So sorry to hear about your incident and very happy to hear that all of your injuries are recoverable. So you have done more than just get back on the horse ..... you've bought a new horse!

Fred

OP
OP
Catmandu2
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
So,, bit of a follow up to my safety gear descriptions,,,, in particular, the armor in my Joe Rocket mesh jacket. I knew that the elbow armor was busted up,,, and just assumed it was a result of the accident. But after I bought new elbow armor,,, and started wearing the jacket again, I noticed that the shoulders did not feel right. In total,, here is a photo of all the pieces I pulled out. There should be 4,,, btw. I asked Joe Rocket Canada if this was a known issue,,, and they said that the USA Joe Rocket jackets had a history of fatigue with aging dark foam pads. No matter where you got your J-R padded gear,,, I suggest keeping an eye on it. Who knows when you might need to rely on it. Cheers,,, CAt'

20210907_145241.jpg

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
It's just shy of two years since my get-off under similar circumstances (caught in chain-reaction panic stops; no place to go...)

My Joe Rocket jacket was about five years old at the time and it died a hero's death. The pads did their thing, but the exterior gave up the ghost at a couple contact points, as well as opening several seams. I walked away with a bit of abrasion on one elbow where the pad displaced, and nothing more.

I bashed my right shoulder pretty solidly but didn't break or tear anything, as far as I could tell; after a month or two the stiffness faded and I was able to roll over without really having to think about it. What I am noticing now is an occasional "crackling" sensation in that shoulder, as if there's something not quite up to factory spec. It doesn't hurt and I have full range of motion, but I wouldn't want to be taking up gymnastics or cricket bowling at this stage.

PB230466w.jpg

PB230471w.jpg

PB230467.JPG

PB230470.JPG

PB230469.JPG

Top Bottom