Sourcing a part (SMC) and not having to pay my liver..!!

Hello All,

I'm in Nova Scotia. Price for replacement SMC full assembly (called a "bracket" according to the parts rep - don't ask for SMC because they won't know what it is) is $308 CDN plus 15% tax. Total about $360 CDN.

QUESTION #1: Does anyone know a source where I can get this part cheaper...??

I'm not 100% sure the SMC is dead. One fellow just posted that SMC was replaced with brand new, but the back brakes are still binding. So, I'm not looking forward to paying $360 CDN and labour costs to replace the SMC and still look forward to the possibility of binding rear brakes.

And the fellow that just posted that his back brakes are still binding said he replaced with OEM pads, not the "thicker" aftermarket EBC pads... I just ordered OEM pads. Dunno if it will do a thing...

Question(s) #2: I read that some people modified their brakes to remove the SMC from the system. Will this kill the ABS feature...?? How easy or difficult is this...?? Should I just sell the bike and take thousands of dollars loss...??

Seriously, I'm filled with stress and anxiety... This was my dream bike for about 18 years...

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
Looks like $176 on Partzilla, but unsure of price in CAD...

BRACKET SUB-ASSY., L. FR.

06454-MCS-G03
$179.52
$175.30

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
That Cdn price is correct. Joys of exchange and shipping. The US price would work out basically the same if you could get it shipped here... you pay exchange on the US dollar (30%-ish) then shipping (with US exchange), then duties in $Cdn on the $US amount and 15% #Cdn in taxes.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
@The Dark Shadow I'm not aware of anywhere you can get a NEW smc in Canada for much less, and buying used is a crap shoot.

I agree paying that kind of money on an uncertain fix is not fun. I'm in a similar spot as you are currently.

OP
OP
The Dark Shadow
Maybe shop around a bit. Seems Honda Canada has a different price.

It has been a few years, but when my SMC needed to be done, I found it easier (and not that much more expensive), to just replace the whole unit. I can't remember for sure but I think I paid less thatn $150 Cdn for the whole assembly.
Thanks for that... I just checked the site and my VIN. Mine is listed on that site as a "Police model" (lol) and the price is exactly what my local dealer quoted... Bummer... Didn't think I bought a Beemer... lmfao

Bike
2010 ST1300
Thank you, @Al st1100. Its been said before that throwing parts at a problem is a hit or miss expensive way to fix things. Best bet is to do a search for SMC (blue band atop this page, right end) and read some threads. Also read John's articles on brakes and SMC's (blue band, >Articles>ST1300). Educate yourself, this is not rocket science but you will probably spend a couple of hours reading some of these twice. There are few enough decent mechanics out there let alone mechanics who know that the ST1100 and 1300's are motorcycles to believe your guy will get it right the first time. If he doesn't know the proper bleeding/flushing sequence you will not be happy with his results.

Some of those threads describe how to diagnose a real SMC issue. If you are not sure, do a bang up perfect job of replacing the rear pads - clean, inspect, replace and do it slowly and carefully and see what the results are (I'm assuming the pads need to be replaced). Read the manual, read the threads. It is not difficult. BTW, most SMC problems are our own dang fault for deferring maintenance until the hygroscopic brake fluid begins to resemble vegemite.

Just for giggles, how often have you flushed and changed the brake and clutch fluid?

Yanking the linked braking and SMC is not a trivial task, and by the time you finish paying for the new brake lines (some will be custom made from what I've read here) you will a. be an expert mechanic, and b. have spent a lot more than the cost of a new SMC. Taking a loss of thousands of $$ makes no sense for a brake job and SMC replacement. Are there any other ST owners near you who can help out?

OP
OP
The Dark Shadow
Thank you, @Al st1100. Its been said before that throwing parts at a problem is a hit or miss expensive way to fix things. Best bet is to do a search for SMC (blue band atop this page, right end) and read some threads. Also read John's articles on brakes and SMC's (blue band, >Articles>ST1300). Educate yourself, this is not rocket science but you will probably spend a couple of hours reading some of these twice. There are few enough decent mechanics out there let alone mechanics who know that the ST1100 and 1300's are motorcycles to believe your guy will get it right the first time. If he doesn't know the proper bleeding/flushing sequence you will not be happy with his results.

Some of those threads describe how to diagnose a real SMC issue. If you are not sure, do a bang up perfect job of replacing the rear pads - clean, inspect, replace and do it slowly and carefully and see what the results are (I'm assuming the pads need to be replaced). Read the manual, read the threads. It is not difficult. BTW, most SMC problems are our own dang fault for deferring maintenance until the hygroscopic brake fluid begins to resemble vegemite.

Just for giggles, how often have you flushed and changed the brake and clutch fluid?

Yanking the linked braking and SMC is not a trivial task, and by the time you finish paying for the new brake lines (some will be custom made from what I've read here) you will a. be an expert mechanic, and b. have spent a lot more than the cost of a new SMC. Taking a loss of thousands of $$ makes no sense for a brake job and SMC replacement. Are there any other ST owners near you who can help out?
No other owners near me who can help. I've asked a few times...

I just got the bike 1.4 years ago. Had the brake fluid replaced recently.

I have no idea why you talk about yanking the LBS and SMC and replacing brake lines... ???????

I have said this before... I CANNOT DO MY OWN WORK!!! NO SPACE, NO TOOLS, NO INVENTORY SPACE FOR TOOLS, I RUN A FINE WOOD WORKSHOP AND CANNOT RISK CONTAMINATING MY HANDS, TOOLS, AND WORKSHOP WITH ROAD GRIME AND OIL/GREASE/FLUIDS. I don't want to be an expert in everything, nor should I be required to be an expert in everything... Is everyone in our society who eats food expected to be an expert farmer...??

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
No other owners near me who can help. I've asked a few times...

I just got the bike 1.4 years ago. Had the brake fluid replaced recently.

I have no idea why you talk about yanking the LBS and SMC and replacing brake lines... ???????

I have said this before... I CANNOT DO MY OWN WORK!!! NO SPACE, NO TOOLS, NO INVENTORY SPACE FOR TOOLS, I RUN A FINE WOOD WORKSHOP AND CANNOT RISK CONTAMINATING MY HANDS, TOOLS, AND WORKSHOP WITH ROAD GRIME AND OIL/GREASE/FLUIDS. I don't want to be an expert in everything, nor should I be required to be an expert in everything... Is everyone in our society who eats food expected to be an expert farmer...??
No, probably not a farmer, but a line cook, server and dishwasher will help.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Not trying to be a jerk but you mentioned removing the SMC
Hello All,

Question(s) #2: I read that some people modified their brakes to remove the SMC from the system. Will this kill the ABS feature...?? How easy or difficult is this...??

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I get it.
You've told us before:
No garage.
No tools.
No skills.
Yet, I maintain that EVERYthing is figure-out-able.
But first and foremost is your COMMITMENT and your DETERMINATION... so if you don't have either, or if you don't want to fool with it, you certainly can list it for sale and pick up another Japanese bike, maybe newer, maybe simpler, but you will ALWAYS need to do something, even if it's just changing the oil or adjusting the chain. Most bike shops will be willing to take your money for routine maintenance, if it's a newer or more common model.
Nobody here is interested in being a jerk or giving you a hard time, this is a SUPPORT and SOCIAL group for sharing information, ownership experience, rides, and... coffee.
And peaches, when they're in season, but I digress.
Yet, I maintain that EVERYthing is figure-out-able.
All the information you need is here. We cannot build you a garage and probably won't buy you all the tools you need... BUT! do you not know anyone with a garage (with a little additional space you can use temporarily) and tools you can borrow? If you think about it, do you not know anyone who can help in any way?
If you truly are in such a predicament, or are not really inclined to sort this out then you may have your answer -- sell it, cut your losses and the frustration.
I won't tell you what to do, as it's your decision.
But you have made it quite clear of your limitations, and there is no "easy fix" for the current state of your motorcycle. Someone will have to do something to it before it's safe and rideable, so you come down to 2 choices:
1. Find a place and tools you can put the bike where we can help you.
2. Unload it and move on.
So, without any animosity whatever -- it's time to decide.
We will do all we can do, but in the end it's up to you and how bad do you want it**.
Obviously the vast majority of us on this platform enjoy the bike for what it is, or at least have enjoyed at some time, before moving on to a different motorbike. And more than a few of us have dealt with the precise mechanical issue you now face.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do about it.

** as a complete irrelevant aside, I relate everything in my life to music and motorcycles, and both Don Henley and Tim McGraw have published songs with the title "How Bad Do You Want It."

Bike
2010 ST1300
Ok, then if you are going to pay someone to do the work for you, then become an informed consumer. Read those threads and articles. Know what needs to be done/inspected/cleaned and go over the job with your mechanic. These bikes are unfamiliar to many Honda certified techs because they often don't go into the shop, and there are relatively few of them compared to more popular bikes. If you place yourself in someone's hands without knowing the details of what needs to be done, bite the bullet, pay the fare, and don't complain (tho the last is optional).

You did begin this thread asking for a cheaper source for a part and a number of other questions. The easiest reply would be to take it to the mechanic and ask him to source it.

BTW, every decent mechanic can halve or better the flat rate manual. Honda wants the engine to be removed for a clutch slave cylinder replacement (I know you don't need one). Threads here describe how it can be done by a knowledgeable mechanic in an hour to two, and a first timer in about 4 hours without removing said engine. Absent that knowledge, what will your garage guy charge you?

Alas, @Sadlsor, a peach a day doesn't keep the doctor away, but I'm enjoying them.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
This is not a good bike for someone like you to own.
Replacing the SMC with a new unit is removing two bolts, and replacing four crush washers.
The flush and bleed takes 45 minutes , going slow with a $15. Dollar check valve.
I have walked many folks through this swap over the phone who have never used tools before.
The simple matter that this is freaking you out speaks volumes of why you should probably pick a difficult style bike.
These bikes do not like to sit, or be neglected, or just run into the ground like a car, and it kinda sounds like that is what your expectations are.
Larry has been specialized in this model for almost 20 years, and throws wrenches at these more than any other brand or model out there.
These are bikes you need to understand and have a relationship with.
Oh yeah, Larry just pointed out that you shouldn’t do anything else BEFORE removing the EBC pads first.
This thread has been driving my poor husband nuts watching all this needless drama.
Time for his meds….

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Which shows everyone just how committed he is to helping people maintain and preserve this model.
And I shall point out also, that he could not do all he does without YOUR support, so we appreciate hearing directly from the Mrs. Igofar.
Give Ĺarry all our love, and we know he can't wait to put this behind him.
Thank you!

David Fyffe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 ST1300/1978 GL
OK, this might be a crap shoot. HONDA OEM Motorcycle parts: BRACKET SUB-ASSY., L.FR. 06454-MCS-R02 $111.03 Including freight.
This part number is listed as for a 2010 ST1300.
I bit the bullet and ordered one as mine has been rebuilt by the local Honda Power Sports dealer.
The bike was still under the factory extended warranty.
https://Japan.webike.net/products/24655812.html Do a Google search.
http://japan.webike.net/

Order Date:
08/30/2023
Total Amount:
16,260 JPY
Ship to:
David Fyffe

Order Number: g00000366956
Order detail
Waiting for Warehousing (Estimated Date of Shipment: 09/21/2023)

HONDA OEM PARTS Part Number: 06454MCSR02 13,560 JPY

Top Bottom