Speaking of oil... anyone remember where it goes?

Bike
R1200rt
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS open the fill hole before the Drain hole. This is especially true on the final drive pumpkin.
Many have drained the final only to crack/break or be unable to loosen the fill nut.
Not necessary to open the fill cap when draining the oil. The crankcase is vented thru the breather hose to the air filter housing.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Not necessary to open the fill cap when draining the oil. The crankcase is vented thru the breather hose to the air filter housing.
I think the referral was more leaned toward how do you then fill the case again if you can't get the fill cap/bolt off/open after draining vs finding that out beforehand and still having a serviceable engine until figuring it out, not from the angle of preventing the drainage flow.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
My friend couldn't loosen the rear fill cap on his '02 GL1800. The cap is a thin stamping, meaning that the hex head is hollow. I got it by gripping the outer edge of the cap with a large pair of Channellocks.

And you always, always, always turn pliers or wrenches towards the lower, moving jaw.

OP
OP
Chris09
Bike
2009 ST1300
thanks post 8 and 9 I'm gonna run with that, I vaguely recollect, [well, acutually; I don't even recollect Sunday, but I know it happened] and was reminded of something I completely forgot about last oil fill which is that there are grommets or grommet that have to be plucked [the idea of it causes me stress] before I can disengage the hook retainers.
... I'm going in....

Bike
R1200rt
I think the referral was more leaned toward how do you then fill the case again if you can't get the fill cap/bolt off/open after draining vs finding that out beforehand and still having a serviceable engine until figuring it out, not from the angle of preventing the drainage flow.
Crankcase refers to engine

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Crankcase refers to engine
But applies equally to the rear drive. It would be wise to know ahead of time, whether you can refill the oil in the final drive.
Many of us also remove the oil filler plug before draining engine oil; but not so much for fear of breaking the filler cap, but to aid in draining the old oil.

Bike
R1200rt
But applies equally to the rear drive. It would be wise to know ahead of time, whether you can refill the oil in the final drive.
Many of us also remove the oil filler plug before draining engine oil; but not so much for fear of breaking the filler cap, but to aid in draining the old oil.
That's called a differential or final drive case. It does not aid in draining engine oil, there is another hole in the valve cover that directly vents to the air filter housing. There are post that members ask why there is oil in the air box because there is a vent hose for the crank case. There is no real need to remove oil cap when draining oil as I stated unless you are unable to find the engine oil fill cap. If you feel that it needs to come off go right ahead. But if you think more oil will come out or it will go faster that's not the case.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
The fill cap isn’t really under the valve cover, it’s just under the plastic trim that clips atop the right side valve cover. Lift the rear part until it pops up, then slide it slightly forward and off. Very easy.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
That's called a differential or final drive case. It does not aid in draining engine oil, there is another hole in the valve cover that directly vents to the air filter housing.
I apologize I was not more clear -- my point is ONLY as relates to the final drive case and oiling, NOT the engine oil.
If one has drained the final drive oil, and cannot refill it for whatever reason -- then one has a real problem.

Bike
R1200rt
I apologize I was not more clear -- my point is ONLY as relates to the final drive case and oiling, NOT the engine oil.
If one has drained the final drive oil, and cannot refill it for whatever reason -- then one has a real problem.
Apology not necessary I could have been clearer. :yr1:

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
that's not the case.
Crank, or final drive, or some other case? Sorry, couldn't resist. I think we're all clear that removing the oil filler cap doesn't help the oil drain, but if for some reason you can't find out how to fill something, any container, before draining it, you may be up that famous creek without a paddle as then the container referenced will be EMPTY with no way to replenish withdrawn fluid. End of conversation, from where I sit anyway. This has indeed been a case an example of specificity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom