Sportster Questions

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I find the mid controls way more comfortable than the forward ones.
They can be swapped, just depends on how much money you want to spend etc.
One other thing you may want to consider....well a few things....Most, if not all HD shops (dealerships) will refuse to work on a bike older than 10 years old now (just like Honda is starting to do)
And all the OEM parts that are over 10 years old are being marked Obsolete, and they direct you to the Screaming Eagle-Made in China stuff on the wall (aftermarket) and most of that stuff is horrible as far as fitment and quality control nowadays.
Will you be working on your own bike? Will you want OEM parts? You can always finds stuff, but it may be like an Easter Egg Hunt On Flea Bay to find stuff.
The Sportster Engine(s) your looking at are now discontinued and will no longer be supported etc.
If you just want something different, and do your own work, you may want to look at the Moto Guzzi V7's.
They are much cheaper price wise, have a great sound and they actually handle, compared to the Harley's.
I loved my Sportster(s), but mine were museum restored stuff, or flat trackers etc.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
I too prefer mids. The main reason I got rid of my intruder was the forward controls, with no real solution to them on that bike.

I generally do all of my own work, which I think suits old sportsters. (I hope) The only bike I ever had the dealership work on was my ZX12r, but that was a bit of a spaceship compared to a 30 year old Harley.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
You can find mid controls on eBay. As I said earlier, most guys get these nice bikes and immediately put forwards and other trash on them. If that's what they want, why not buy a bike that already has that junk on it.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
I saw one on display in a Huntsville (Ont.) restaurant.Year? Sweet though,amazing how small they look now.Was a big bike last century when I was a kid.Harleys we’re also rarer than hens teeth.
Nice to have one to go to the donut shop,or Al’s and do the Fonzi—-AAAA

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I know he was trying to be funny and even though I'm not a Harley fan, I get a bit tired of Harley bashing. If it works for you, ride, enjoy, give me a 2-finger wave. We're all on 2 wheels. But, please, please, keep your stock exhaust, Stock exhausts sound wonderful.
So keep my stock exhaust; but Staintune's and Delkevic's are ok for ST's, and all other aftermarket slipons for those VFR's, C14's, Triumphs, or other bikes owned on here are ok? The stocker's are 3", huge gap under the extended bags... I have 4.5 inch slipons on the way. I'm not replacing the headers or cracking the case for a new cam and stage III kit.

As I've stated numerous times... your bike, do what you want. My bike, I do what I want.

Yes, I was. I'm also jaded as my first bike was a sportster that would not run.
Also, I have had Harley stickered trucks try to intentionally run me off the road.
Condemning a barrel of apples for a couple of bad ones... and it was a truck with a sticker? You don't even know they ride. Do you where NFL, MLB, NHL, or NBA gear? Do you play for any of those teams? What sneakers do you where? Wow.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You do realize that the Stage one kit is just a horse and pony show, and does not really do anything right?
The dealerships are not allowed to tune anything outside of the EPA regulations (yes, even for off road use etc.)
Now, almost all the dealerships won't even work on any bike with aftermarket (including screaming eagle slip on mufflers) due to EPA fines they've been getting hammered with.
Your bike, do what you want, I have to wear dual hearing aids from hearing loss from riding/racing Harleys over the years.
I'd rather have my hearing back, than impress folks with noise at this stage in my life.

Bike
2010 ST1300
So keep my stock exhaust; but Staintune's and Delkevic's are ok for ST's, and all other aftermarket slipons for those VFR's, C14's, Triumphs, or other bikes owned on here are ok? The stocker's are 3", huge gap under the extended bags... I have 4.5 inch slipons on the way. I'm not replacing the headers or cracking the case for a new cam and stage III kit.

As I've stated numerous times... your bike, do what you want. My bike, I do what I want.

Condemning a barrel of apples for a couple of bad ones... and it was a truck with a sticker? You don't even know they ride. Do you where NFL, MLB, NHL, or NBA gear? Do you play for any of those teams? What sneakers do you where? Wow.
I do know some nice people that ride HD. My opinion on HD is not just on one interaction. Bad apples ride all makes and models, there just seem to be more on HDs.:biggrin:
Haven't followed pro sports in over 20yrs. Their nothing but a bunch of whiney snot noses who are over paid and think they should be paid more. Same with Hollywood. But, I will stop here so we can keep this site friendly.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
You do realize that the Stage one kit is just a horse and pony show, and does not really do anything right?
The dealerships are not allowed to tune anything outside of the EPA regulations (yes, even for off road use etc.)
Now, almost all the dealerships won't even work on any bike with aftermarket (including screaming eagle slip on mufflers) due to EPA fines they've been getting hammered with.
Your bike, do what you want, I have to wear dual hearing aids from hearing loss from riding/racing Harleys over the years.
I'd rather have my hearing back, than impress folks with noise at this stage in my life.
Like I said, I'm NOT having a stage *ANY* done to my bike... it's already 114ci's (~1868cc's), plenty for me. I CAN easily have a SE stage III kit done at my stealership, as I was quoted a price when I bought the bike. As an aside, slipons don't have anything to do with EPA rules since the bikes cat's are in the headers.

I have hearing loss too, job related. Not trying to impress anyone... just someone trying to get a deeper tone, like a nice V8 in their muscle car.

Have a great day!

I do know some nice people that ride HD. My opinion on HD is not just on one interaction. Bad apples ride all makes and models, there just seem to be more on HDs.:biggrin:
You know it! :thumb:

Haven't followed pro sports in over 20yrs. Their nothing but a bunch of whiney snot noses who are over paid and think they should be paid more. Same with Hollywood. But, I will stop here so we can keep this site friendly.
Yeah... touching that proverbial line... :biggrin:. As a former Mod here, I know how close I can get to it... touch it... not cross it. :rofl1:

Riders don't let riders buy Harley :rofl1: because then they don't get to ride anymore. They just have a paper weight in the garage.
Funny, My ST1300 has been in and out of the shop since January (fork rebuild, seat recover, thermostat replacement and vacuum line check) while my 2013 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom Police model has been what I've been riding with no trips to the shop since I bought it. It is fuel Injected, it has an upgraded Saddlemen seat and has been maintenance free, other than tires and oil changes. Is it fast, no, compared to the Honda, is it comfortable, not too bad, and with the 3.5 gallon tank I can go 140 miles between fuel lights. I like both bikes, using the harley for a couple hundred mile rides through the twisties as it feels soo much lighter to flick around and I use the ST1300 when I ride down to GA and back in a day, usually around 700 miles round trip.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
I wear earplugs when riding my stock exhaust Hondas, so I probably fall into the Ned Flanders category of motorcyclists.

There is something wonderful about an air cooled Vtwin with loudish but not obnoxious pipes rumbling through the gears that makes red blooded, mustache men smile, and children giggle.
murica-ronswanson.gif

Bike
2010 ST1300
Funny, My ST1300 has been in and out of the shop since January (fork rebuild, seat recover, thermostat replacement and vacuum line check) while my 2013 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom Police model has been what I've been riding with no trips to the shop since I bought it. It is fuel Injected, it has an upgraded Saddlemen seat and has been maintenance free, other than tires and oil changes. Is it fast, no, compared to the Honda, is it comfortable, not too bad, and with the 3.5 gallon tank I can go 140 miles between fuel lights. I like both bikes, using the harley for a couple hundred mile rides through the twisties as it feels soo much lighter to flick around and I use the ST1300 when I ride down to GA and back in a day, usually around 700 miles round trip.
Uhm, you did see the giggling emoji, right? It is a joke. But love how triggered all the Hardly Delivers guys get. :rofl1:

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Aww boy. What have I done? To be Switzerland about it, my two most beloved bikes out of 15 or so were a HD engine Buell, and my ST1300. They all have their place!

Except maybe the Buell Blast. I'm not sure it has a place...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If I had the room I'd definitely have an H-D. A bare bones 883 Sportster would most likely be the ticket for me. A whole different bike than my ST. I wouldn't think of expecting anything the same out of an H-D other than it has two wheels which is always my primary metric. :rofl1: Metric. And lots of smiles.

I don't check their site often but it seems they make some significant styling changes far more frequently than Honda. Gotta love the sound of a twin. A big twin is even better but probably wasted on me.

Roll the bike out on a sunny afternoon and go for a putt. Belt drive low RPM and a great exhaust note. I love my ST but there are some things it just can't do. Yeah if I had the room...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
But love how triggered all the Hardly Delivers guys get.
If you check the thread you'll see it's not all H-D guys. And anytime there's a mention of H-Ds there's always some guy who's just got to bag on them. Jokes are made about oil leaks probably by people who've had to mop ST coolant off the floor. Or pull a mouse house or two out of their STs.

A lot of the time there's no clue that it's a joke. Jokes get old. No wonder some H-D riders may get triggered. Other times it's just plain bagging thinly veiled as a joke. Not much of a joke when it's only the one making it who's laughing. And it's the H-D riders who'er expected to have thick skin.

Ah well. It doesn't matter what you ride – just that you ride. Right?

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
So keep my stock exhaust; but Staintune's and Delkevic's are ok for ST's, and all other aftermarket slipons for those VFR's, C14's, Triumphs, or other bikes owned on here are ok? ...
I never said nor implied that loud exhausts on non-Harley bikes was OK nor am I opposed to aftermarket exhausts in general. I truly dislike needlessly loud exhausts which. for whatever reason, happens significantly more with Harley's. And I find it ironic because the 45° V twin with offset firing is already one of the best sounding exhaust notes out there.

Even the name of one of the most popular aftermarket Harley exhausts (Screamin' Eagle) is intended to connote "loud".

I also dislike "fart pipes" and whenever I hear one I think "children!" as it reminds me of playing cards in the spokes of a child's bicycle wheel.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I never said nor implied that loud exhausts on non-Harley bikes was OK nor am I opposed to aftermarket exhausts in general. I truly dislike needlessly loud exhausts which. for whatever reason, happens significantly more with Harley's. And I find it ironic because the 45° V twin with offset firing is already one of the best sounding exhaust notes out there.

Even the name of one of the most popular aftermarket Harley exhausts (Screamin' Eagle) is intended to connote "loud".

I also dislike "fart pipes" and whenever I hear one I think "children!" as it reminds me of playing cards in the spokes of a child's bicycle wheel.
I guess you didn't read why I was putting on the new slipons... loud, no... SE, no... Neighbor Haters, no.

I don't even equate "fart cans" to cards to spokes on bikes... not even close. :biggrin:

The stocker's are 3", huge gap under the extended bags... I have 4.5 inch slipons on the way.
trying to get a deeper tone, like a nice V8 in their muscle car.

turbomaker

I live one commute mile at a time
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Back on topic; you can use the stripped bar mounts from the mid controls on the front as highway pegs. I did that for a long time, until I found a nice set of dyna highway pegs (they are the chrome ones in the picture).

I had mids on the bike, and took my extra set of mid controls, took off the shift/brake bits, and bolted them to the holes in the front. Cheap highway pegs, and the best of both worlds; mids for regular riding and highway pegs (forwards) for highway miles and posing. :)

With the apes, 'cool sac' grips, and the mustang seatback rest, it was a very comfortable ride.

Attachments

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Turbo I think your year/color/model is my favorite. I'm going to look at a 2008 Roadster tomorrow in maroon/black!

HorSt, the wee is a great bike. I had one for years. Never really clicked with it, but I think that was me not the bike.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I just learned that Harley-Davidson has come out with a new bike that is a significant departure from previous offerings.

It's called the Nightster. It appears to target the same folks who would be looking at a traditional Sportster, but this one is lighter and more powerful. It's also water-cooled which might matter to traditionalists, but probably not to new riders.

Anyway, I've never been a fan of Harley for a variety of reasons, but this new bike looks interesting. I'll be watching for reviews and I hope it can help to keep Harley-Davidson viable in a very competitive market.

Top Bottom