Sportster Questions

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I just learned that Harley-Davidson has come out with a new bike that is a significant departure from previous offerings.

It's called the Nightster. It appears to target the same folks who would be looking at a traditional Sportster, but this one is lighter and more powerful. It's also water-cooled which might matter to traditionalists, but probably not to new riders.

Anyway, I've never been a fan of Harley for a variety of reasons, but this new bike looks interesting. I'll be watching for reviews and I hope it can help to keep Harley-Davidson viable in a very competitive market.
The "new" Nightster, not the Nightster from a few years back :rofl1: looks more like a modified Honda Shadow from the 80's.
Its such a shame, that they are using so much plastic to try and make it look space age etc.
A sportster used to be an Engine/Frame/Wheels, and Metal/Paint/Chrome.
Now everything is made cheaply out of cast parts and plastic.
With the new CEO trying to go back to the era of AMF wanting to only produce about 5 models, have a two year wait to have them built (after you pay your money) and jacking up the prices to $20-30K for a sportster, and $50-60K for a touring model. NOBODY will be able to afford them, nor want to buy one.
The company is grasping at straws to stay alive.
If you look back a few years, remember the Honda look alike bikes they only made for a year or two?
The V-rod was dropped, and now they are trying to make the new Import stuff look like it?
Its a sad day for HD.
They will probably end up going the way Oldsmobile and Pontiac went pretty soon.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
The "new" Nightster, not the Nightster from a few years back :rofl1: looks more like a modified Honda Shadow from the 80's.
Its such a shame, that they are using so much plastic to try and make it look space age etc.
A sportster used to be an Engine/Frame/Wheels, and Metal/Paint/Chrome.
Now everything is made cheaply out of cast parts and plastic.
With the new CEO trying to go back to the era of AMF wanting to only produce about 5 models, have a two year wait to have them built (after you pay your money) and jacking up the prices to $20-30K for a sportster, and $50-60K for a touring model. NOBODY will be able to afford them, nor want to buy one.
The company is grasping at straws to stay alive.
If you look back a few years, remember the Honda look alike bikes they only made for a year or two?
The V-rod was dropped, and now they are trying to make the new Import stuff look like it?
Its a sad day for HD.
They will probably end up going the way Oldsmobile and Pontiac went pretty soon.
Yeah, I get that they're straying far from their roots and a lot of the things that created the Harley appeal in the first place, BUT, things change and company offerings need to change with the times.

It's pretty much change with the times or become a historical highlight. All that said, it may well be too little too late. I probably will never own a Harley, but I hope an American company can survive in a world of global competition.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
I think emissions requirements are making the air cooled sportys difficult to sell into the future. I'm not a "Harley guy", but I want my Harley to be a Harley. I might just be ignorant, but the air cooled Harley twins just feel great going down the road. I hope HD stays viable, but for a liquid cooled, high output sporty bike, the market is saturated with good options already.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I hope HD stays viable, but for a liquid cooled, high output sporty bike, the market is saturated with good options already.
+1 I saw the Nightster immediately after you started the thread and was disappointed. The Iron 883 was more like the Sportster of old but still not quite it. Not crazy about that fat front tire a la bobber look.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
You can still buy an 883 (~$11k) or a 48 (~12k)... plenty of chrome on them. The Nightster and Sportster S is trying to attract a different crowd, same as the new LiveWire brand. Different strokes for different folks... choices, just like restaurants and menus.

What happened to Honda's VTX's? Gone. Yet they still sell the Fury? :rofl1: I give Honda props for giving more life to their Shadow lineup, even though I'm biased towards them. :biggrin: The smaller bikes are great!

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Welp...IMG_20220505_190137_01.jpgIMG_20220505_190148488.jpg
IMG_20220505_193852184.jpg
I need to put the mid controls, factory bars, and factory exhaust back on, and give it a good cleaning and maintenance go-over. And pull off the sissy bar and take the black vinyl wrap off of the chrome parts...
2008 Roadster, 14,900 miles.
I think it will come together nicely with a few hours' work.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Hopefully a progress post this weekend or next week. Will be changing all the fluids, removing the heavy breather intake, short shots, and power commander, sissy bar, putting oem bars and new grips on. Throttle sticks and idle hunts as it is, but I'm hoping that returning it to stock will remedy all the issues. The V&H pipes sound pretty cool but are silly loud.

Also, PSA, never use a tank bra. While the paint under it is pristine, the clear coat at the leading edge is dull and will need correction, and it was a high quality HD item. Doesn't make sense to cause damage to prevent possible damage.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Remove the air filter and spray the throat with some manifold intake cleaner to remove all the brown crap on it and your idle will stop hunting.
The heavy breather crap sucks all kinds of oil and dirt into that area.
Also check the rubber on the manifold connectors, as they dry out and cause air leaks.
You have a very nice stable there.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Well, yesterday I pulled off the heavy breather, cleaned the throttle body, serviced the air filter, and bled the brakes. I adjusted the throttle cables, which to my surprise the open cable was just about unable to be adjusted properly and achieve full throttle. Stretched that bad in 15k miles? I'll give it another go when I put the factory bars and new grips on.

Still hunting at idle. I suspect that the bike sat for several years, so I decided to fall back on my mechanical go to and took it out and gave it hell.

I was surprised how snotty the bike was, quicker than I expected. It came with a Dyno sheet showing 77hp and 78 ft lbs, and ran pretty good on the road. I was surprised to hit the rev limiter in 1st, probably the first time I've hit one on a motorcycle in a decade or more. It jumps in sooner than I expected, and pulls hard right into it.

Forward controls are truly terrible (for me.) Past about 40mph, I felt like I was doing some torturous exercise trying to keep my feet on the pegs. The mids will have to go on tomorrow.

Upon my return, and to my surprise, the bike settled right into a smooth idle at about 1050 rpm.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The throttle cables are at the end of their adjustment probably because of the stupid son's of anarchy handlebars. The prior owner probably didn't change the cables out when he replaced the bars.
The throttle could also be hunting due to tension on the cables, or routing of them with those bars.
The way they have the sportsters set up, you'll bang the rev limiter if you try and ride it like your other bikes.
They like to shift every few feet.
If you think forward controls suck, wait until you get a wasp up your pant leg ;)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have never owned a Sportster, but have ridden one and I was not very impressed with it. Here is an alternate small Harley to consider, a Harley-Davidson Deuce.
I found it to be a much better small Harley. I have no idea how long they made them for or how hard they are to come by, but I would look for one of these to fill a small Harley itch long before I would look for a Sporster. It was a really nice bike, highly reliable, comfortable, more than enough power. I did some long trips on that bike, including some multiple 500 mile days, and had no real complaints about it.

Deuce Oct 6.JPG

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Beautiful, looks like a motorcycle again.
Now just loose the crash bars :rofl1:

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
It's funny that you say that, I'm on the fence about leaving it or taking it off. I don't really like the look of it, but protection can be handy. I don't think I can touch it down in normal riding, at least I haven't yet. I ground the left peg some, and something scratchier... Kickstand maybe? Fork springs are set up for a small child, I seem to bottom them closing the throttle.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
It's funny that you say that, I'm on the fence about leaving it or taking it off. I don't really like the look of it, but protection can be handy. I don't think I can touch it down in normal riding, at least I haven't yet. I ground the left peg some, and something scratchier... Kickstand maybe? Fork springs are set up for a small child, I seem to bottom them closing the throttle.
Remove the 5 wt fish oil and put some 15wt in the forks and it will feel like a bike again.
The crash bars will cause more damage than they will prevent.
Look at the small tabs that they mount with etc.
The snap those off causing frame damage.
Just learn to ride the bike without dropping it :rofl1:
Your doing a nice job.

OP
OP
Cincykz
Bike
2008 ST1300
Just an update, been enjoying the sporty. My only real complaint with the bike is suspension quality. I would say my static sag is 80% of the front suspension. Constant bottoming on the front, and a surprising amount in the back too. the biggest downside (besides jolting my wheels and spine) is that I'm often scraping the pegs in corners, especially if I encounter a bump. I actually scraped the lower muffler half way around a sharp right hander today! Eek. Going from about half throttle to pretty much wide open picked the bike up enough to get it off the muffler, but also started pushing me wider, less than ideal.

I've decided on progressive 13.5" 412 HD shocks in the rear, but am torn between progressive HD springs and new oil or their monotube front end that replaces all the fork innards.

I'm mainly going with progressive stuff because it's reasonably priced. I usually prefer straight rate springs. My big concern is the monotubes only come in one spring rate (std) and I'm afraid they'll still be too soft. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks

I have to second
Igofar

here. The early Sportsters were the bike to beat and my 70's chopper was decent bike with more comfort than the hardtail bikes.

But in today's bike market, you'd be foolish to goto the Sportster, given the quality and performance of the Indian Bobbers. And you can buy a VTX for next to nothing... .a MUCH better choice than the Sportster.....

Here's another thought... instead of going HD...why not go exotic? Ducati Diablo. Moto Guzzi, Royal Enfield, Yamaha V-Max, one of the Victory's? These would be alot more fun and interesting bikes than just "another Sportster"....... FWIW

Top Bottom