ST Available Tires

Bike
2005 ST13
Would it be an improvement to the table on page-1 to identify which tires are radials, or bias ply?
I believe the Storms are bias, while the Interact, and RoadAttacks are radials.

Another column could be for dual compound (BT021, Roadsmart, Pilot2).

Bike
2012 r1200rt
STOC #
ok, had a flat (rear tire) on the way to moto-gp. tire was wore out. dealer (westside honda in evansville, in) said they only had dunlops, exedras and bt-021s for st1300 in stock. i didn't like the stock dunlops and heard bad things about the bt-021 so i told them to put on the exedras. they were 850-R and i noticed tonight that their max load is 800 lbs. should i be worried since i weight 225 lbs or so not counting gear??? comments?

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
ok, had a flat (rear tire) on the way to moto-gp. tire was wore out. dealer (westside honda in evansville, in) said they only had dunlops, exedras and bt-021s for st1300 in stock. i didn't like the stock dunlops and heard bad things about the bt-021 so i told them to put on the exedras. they were 850-R and i noticed tonight that their max load is 800 lbs. should i be worried since i weight 225 lbs or so not counting gear??? comments?
Wish you had called me. I have a set of PR2's in the garage we could have installed and then you replaced them with a new set from TwoBrothers. Oh well...keep the RAN list in hand!

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Just had the Avon Storms installed front and rear last Saturday. Have not detected any front wobble/weave.

Keep you updated on progress. :biker:

Bike
2012 r1200rt
STOC #
Wish you had called me. I have a set of PR2's in the garage we could have installed and then you replaced them with a new set from TwoBrothers. Oh well...keep the RAN list in hand!
if it weren't for bad luck last thursday......had to get hauled to evansville from cave-in-rock, il honda dealer in illinois did not have any tires and i was feeling desperate. never thought of someone actually having a new set at home!! i need to download that list i guess to the crackberry. thanks for the offer even though it didn't come to pass. what do you think of that tire, i saw where someone else in the thread ran the same tire without incident.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Add the weight rating of the front tire, prolly 450 or 500. The rear doesn't do all the work.

Excedra's on the 1100 work fine tho I prefer the 020 to the rear Excedra. Diff size for the 1300, tho.

I wouldn't worry 'bout that tar, might lose a little life but that'd be the only problem.

Bike
2012 r1200rt
STOC #
Add the weight rating of the front tire, prolly 450 or 500. The rear doesn't do all the work.

Excedra's on the 1100 work fine tho I prefer the 020 to the rear Excedra. Diff size for the 1300, tho.

I wouldn't worry 'bout that tar, might lose a little life but that'd be the only problem.
thanks george, thats what i wanted to hear. maybe it will give me more than 8k miles.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
if it weren't for bad luck last thursday......had to get hauled to evansville from cave-in-rock, il honda dealer in illinois did not have any tires and i was feeling desperate. never thought of someone actually having a new set at home!! i need to download that list i guess to the crackberry. thanks for the offer even though it didn't come to pass. what do you think of that tire, i saw where someone else in the thread ran the same tire without incident.
I ran the PR2's one other time and had good luck with them. Got 9k out of the rear (the best I have gotten on any tire). I like the 020's also, but they are a PITA to take off and on. So I went with the PR2 agian.

Bike
06 ST1300
Got 6000 on the original tires. They were Bridgestone. Is there a beter tire out there. I liked the sticky tire of the brigdestone but would like to know if there is a better tire to replace them with. Do alot of high speed and tight corners.
Want a good sticky tire and a good wearing tire. Thanks Guys .....

Bike
06 ST1300
For the ST1300 there's also the Continental Road Attack. Front 120/70ZR18 (59W) and Rear 170/60ZR17 (72W). Both should be run at 42 psi. They stick well and have wet traction (but I don't know mileage as this is my first set).
Now that you have had a chance to try these ones, what do you think of them. Do they handle well in the twisties and what about the mileage? I have 6000 thousand on the OEM's so far and they are close to the wear bar...They handle the tar snakes very well, but am not pleased with the wear...

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Now that you have had a chance to try these ones, what do you think of them. Do they handle well in the twisties and what about the mileage? I have 6000 thousand on the OEM's so far and they are close to the wear bar...They handle the tar snakes very well, but am not pleased with the wear...
I liked the Conti Road Attacks a lot and had planned to buy another set as they have been the best set I'd used to date.

When I called to order another set of Road Attacks, I was discouraged from buying another set by the tire guys (as they're apparently not rated for the ST1300), therefore manufacturer liability/warranty would not apply in the event of a failure. The tire guys instead gave me a good deal on a set of PR2's that I also had my eye on.

So far, at ~4.2kmi the PR2s are doing well for wear and wet grip, but I don't like their annoying buzz.

My front Road Attack went over 10kmi before I pulled it a month ago. The rear Road Attack was pulled off earlier this spring at ~6kmi so that I could use up a half-used ME880 tire during a long straight ride. My rear Road Attack is flat spotted in the center as I had used it over the winter in a lot of straight rides, and it is on the shelf as my emergency spare rear tire.

I liked the grip and feel of the Road Attacks, and they were quiet (not noisy/buzzy). When new, their twisties grip and bike handling was great.

At the end of life (front Road Attack, rear ME880), I honestly didn't push them hard in twisties as the pair were real twitchy over tar snakes.

Would I buy another set of Road Attacks? Yes, absolutely. But at the moment, I'm going to get further into the life of the PR2's before ordering my next set (whether Road Attacks or PR2's).

Bike
ST1300 ('04)
Re: ST Available Tires - My Experience

Quick summary of my tire experience (lot of twisty and Blue Ridge Parkway riding):

Replaced OEM Bridgestone BT-020's, front and rear at about 5,500 miles. Rear was down to cords on the left side. Front was badly scalloped.

Ran several sets of Michelin Pilot Roads (MPR1). Decent handling and mileage. Got about 6,000 on the rear and 8 or 9K on the front. But the tires whined like a truck tire for the first 2 or 3K.

Ran a Bridgestone BT-021 front tire and only got 4K miles. Last thousand or so miles the bike handled terribly. Did not want to hold the line in a turn. Terrible tire !!

Ran a couple sets of Avon Storms. Best tire in my experience. Great handling. Got about 6K on the rear and 8 to 9 K on the front. No bad handling through out life of tires.

Ran a MPR2 rear tire. Great handling with an Avon on the front, but got only about 4.5K miles before both sides are almost worn out. Not much scalloping though.

Have not tried Metzelers. Would like to hear from others who have.

My preference so far: Avon Storms.

Ernie

Bike
07 st 1300a
hi ernie,

really interest in avon tires as i was very satisfied on my valkyrie.

got only 17,ooo km on my st1300 and my second set of bridgstones are done !!! did 7k km not miles!! on front tire only with my 2nd set...left side all gone...

wondering why avon rep. says that avon are not recommended for st!!!
have you ever run over 100 mph with avon tires on ???

not that i run often at that speed but once can be too much with bad tires...

thx, waiting for your reply.

jacques

Bike
ST1300 ('04)
Jacques:

Yes, I have ridden my ST with the Avon Storm tires on over 100 mph and I think up to about 120 mph. Not often. Only a couple times when I had a long straight road, no traffic on the road, and just wanted to see how it would feel. No problems of any sort. Also, I have ridden quite aggressively with a passenger on board. Again no problems. The Avons stick well, handle well and wear well.

I don't know why the tires are not actually rated for the ST1300. If memory serves me right, the load range (pounds or kilograms) for both the front and rear tires do meet the recommended load rating for the ST. But I don't have that data at my finger tips now or I would quote it to you.

Also, 2 others with ST1300s in my town also have had good experience with the Avon Storms. Also, on the ST Forum, others have praised these tires. I have never seen negative comments about these particular tires in the ST1300.

I think you will be quite safe and satisfied with the Avon Storms.

Ernie

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I have to replace my Avon Azero's now that the rear is running on cords. The front is not badly cupped at all, but I'll probably replace that as well. They have been fantastic tires all the way through their life. Only a little wobble on decel through 40MPH. They have been ridden in the mountains, on the highway and at over 120MPH and the handling did not deteriorate with wear.

My tires are worn edge to edge with some peg grinding and they have never slipped out on me, except on wet road paint and sand. What a great tire. I wish they still made them.

I think I'll try the Storms out next, from everything I've read here.

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
A little tire update here for the 1100. I've run Z6 Metz on front and rear 1st couple -3 tire changes and this last time I tried the ME 880 on the rear. I really can't tell a change in bike behavior and really pleased to let it be known I'm pleasently surprised to get 17,146 out of the rear. Check the pic out....would you run it a bit more?(note the slice) ;) I thought to myself.....no bloody way! Went back through the maint. log to make sure, man Tom P. told me I'd get good mileage out of the 880....just didn't think that far. Front Z6 was getting a little lumpy at 14,182, so it went 1st. I run pretty close to the 42 psi recommended by Metz front & rear. As I've stated before I use the scoot as a commuter tool so alot of the miles is straight up slab between Belen & Albuquerque, but this combo set of tires did absolutly great running down ol`666 in AZ a few months back.

Ride safe, cheers, EJ

Attachments

The Bridgestone BT021's should be removed from the list of available tires for the ST1300. I replaced my BT020's (17,000 Km) with the BT021's (7,000 Km). I wrote to Bridgestone regarding my concern with the BT021's - poor mileage and severe cupping. Here was the answer I got:

"Due to the heavy weight of the ST1300 and the additional strain that it puts on the tires, the only tires that we recommend for it are the OE BT020?s that were specifically designed for that motorcycle. You should be sure to always maintain your tire pressures at the maximum 42psi to keep the proper load carrying capacity."

I recently dropped by the local Honda dealer and guess which tires they recommended ...

Bike
06' st 1300
STOC #
Ernie
Go with the Metzler's Z-6 Roadtec.
I love the way they feel, smooth ride and solid feel.
For what it's worth try 38 psi on the front & 39 psi on the rear that's the ticket.
I'll be riding all winter here in California !

Bike
ST1300 ('04)
Ernie
Go with the Metzler's Z-6 Roadtec.
I love the way they feel, smooth ride and solid feel.
For what it's worth try 38 psi on the front & 39 psi on the rear that's the ticket.
I'll be riding all winter here in California !
Pyropat: Thanks for that info. Do you have any idea how long they will last? What kind of riding? My problem is I wear out the sides of the tires before the bottom usually. I think that is why I am getting so little mileage out of the dual compound tires I have tired so far (Bridgestone BT021 front and Michelin MPR2 rear).

Ernie

Top Bottom