ST Available Tires

Bike
'08 Varadero
STOC #
I put on a set of Z6's a little over a month ago to replace the worn out STorms. These tires are every bit as good as the STorms, a little better on turn in and mid corner changes. Not sure about the mileage yet but im trying to wear them out but winter is on its way.

Pyropat: Thanks for that info. Do you have any idea how long they will last? What kind of riding? My problem is I wear out the sides of the tires before the bottom usually. I think that is why I am getting so little mileage out of the dual compound tires I have tired so far (Bridgestone BT021 front and Michelin MPR2 rear).

Ernie
The problem with a lot of replacement tires is they cannot handle the wieght of the ST1300 - there is not sufficient side wall strength, the tire doesn't maintain its shape, especially when cornering, resulting in the sides of the tires wearing prematurely. I had the same thing happen with both the front and rear BT012's - Bridgestone does not recommend this tire for the ST1300.

Byron

STOC #
The problem with a lot of replacement tires is they cannot handle the wieght of the ST1300 - there is not sufficient side wall strength, the tire doesn't maintain its shape, especially when cornering, resulting in the sides of the tires wearing prematurely. I had the same thing happen with both the front and rear BT012's - Bridgestone does not recommend this tire for the ST1300.
If the tire is the proper size and has the appropriate weight and speed rating you can run it on the ST. It's the rubber compounds that determine how well the tires last. If it is more a sport tire then it will wear quickly. It if is more of a touring tire it will last longer. The conditions you ride in and your riding style will also affect tire life.

It's the same for car and truck tires as well. If you do you homework before buying you will have a better chance of ending up with a tire purchase that will fit your needs and enhance your riding enjoyment.

Bike
06' st 1300
STOC #
Ernie
I don't have enough miles to know how long they are going to last, but as with any other tire it all depends how much you twist the wrist & how hard you brake.
I have always like Metzelers on all my other bikes so we will see how these work.
Sorry I can't any mileage info.

Bike
One from below
STOC #
Bridgestone Exedra

The OEM Bridgestone Exedra:
44711-MT3-615 / TIRE (110/80-V18) / "Exedra G547 110-80-18 58V" / 36 psi
42711-MT3-616 / TIRE (160/70-V17) / "Exedra G548 160/70-17 73V" / 42 psi

They're bias tires, BTW, not radials.

Anyone know where in the UK I can get a set?

Bike
ST1300 ('04)
Re: ST Available Tires - 180 or 190 Rear Tire?

Has anyone tried a 180 on the rear? Seems to me the 170 is undersized for this bike's weight / power combination. And it looks like a 180 would fit.

Thoughts? Experience with 180 or 190 rears?

Thanks, Ernie

Bike
2015 GoldWing
STOC #
I just read Shinko has a new generation of sport touring tires coming out this year in sizes to fit the ST1300. May be another alternative. Info here...

011 VERGE RADIALS

Shinko Tire USA brings you performance combined with extended tread life in the all-new 011 Verge Radial, which is designed specifically for sport/touring riding. The 011 Verge rear features Zero Degree JLSB (Joint-Less Steel Belted) state-of-the-art technology for added stability and strength, while the 011 front is Aramid belted for enhanced high-speed performance.

Both are DOT approved and feature a tread compound created to provide excellent grip with extended tread life. The 011 also features a tread radius designed for enhanced high speed cornering.

?W speed rating (168 mph).

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=70

:03biker::06biker::07biker::04biker::biker:

Bike
2015 GoldWing
STOC #

Has anyone tried a 180 on the rear? Seems to me the 170 is undersized for this bike's weight / power combination. And it looks like a 180 would fit.

Thoughts? Experience with 180 or 190 rears?

Thanks, Ernie

No experience with a 180 on an ST1300, but I have recently installed a Shinko Raven in 170/60x17. It has a real flat tread, I wish I had known how it would have looked mounted as I would have gone with the 180 to gain a bit more curve to the side walls.:( It's a good tire for 90% of the riding I do but I've been up on the edge and lets just say it dosen't inspire confidence. Looks like a 180 would fit fine and I've heard others have mounted them also.

Bike
ST1300 ('04)

No experience with a 180 on an ST1300, but I have recently installed a Shinko Raven in 170/60x17. It has a real flat tread, I wish I had known how it would have looked mounted as I would have gone with the 180 to gain a bit more curve to the side walls.:( It's a good tire for 90% of the riding I do but I've been up on the edge and lets just say it dosen't inspire confidence. Looks like a 180 would fit fine and I've heard others have mounted them also.
Don: Thanks for info. Another response seem positive that 180 would be too big for ST. But I don't know why he said that. If you look at the side clearances back there they seem more than adequate. I myself am convinced that the 170 rear is over stressed by the ST with any kind of hard riding. That's why there are such huge differences in mileage achieved depending on riding style. Straight and level, no problem. But work it hard and the tire is inadequate.

Anybody used a 180 - Please speak up and tell us about it.

Thanks,
Ernie

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I did a somewhat scientific poll a few months ago to find out more about what tires performed the best on the ST based on 11 questions that affect to tire performance. Unfortunately I only had a total of 22 responses including myself so it doesn't give near as good of a sample as I would have like to have seen. Regardless, below are the questions asked and their results:

1. Age = 52 average

2. Preferred Tires and why
Bridgestones = 56% - Good performance and price, no reason to switch, tire wear, works well for skill level and price
Avon Storms = 38% - Excellent grip and mileage, tire sticks, tire feels good, handles great and wears symmectrically
Dunlop Roadsmart = 13% - Feels good and handling in wet and dry
Michelin Pilot Road = 12% - No reasons given
Metzeler M3 = 6% - No reason given

3. Mileage on front tire before replacing - Averaged
Avon Storms = 12,750 mi
Bridgestones = 11,750 mi
Dunlop Roadsmart = 10,000 mi
Michelin Pilot Road = 4,900 mi
Metzeler M3 = 2,500 mi

4. Mileage on rear tire before replacing - Averaged
Bridgestone = 8,833 mi
Avon Storms = 8,250 mi
Dunlop Roadsmart = 10,000 mi
Michelin Pilot Road = 4,900 mi
Metzeler M3 = 2,500 mi

5. Tire least preferred and why
Bridgestone (4 resp) - tips, oversteers, twitchy on grooved pavement, terrible in wet, funky wear, poor mileage
Dunlop (3 resp) - poor handling
Metzeler ME880 (1 resp)
Michelin Pilot Road (1 resp) - too hard center tread

6. Are you a sport or touring rider (pick only one)
Touring 50%
Sport 45%
No response 5%

7. Heavy gas and brake (yes or no)
Yes - 50%
No - 50%

8. Percentage of stop and go riding = 23% avg

9. Rider/pillion/cargo weight = 268 lbs (some were two-up)

10. Front tire pressure = 40.7 lbs avg

11. Rear tire pressure = 41.7 lbs avg

It would be great to continue this survey on this thread. If anyone starts posting their experiences based on the above questions I'll continue to tally the responses.

Dewaine

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
Dewaine, this is good information and I will use it - thanks for the effort. I wish there were more responses as I am nearing that tire decission and have an 8,000 mile trip planned behind it where I'd like to return home on the same installed set. As for now, based on your survey, I'd be comfortable installing another set of the factory installed Bridgestones or the Avon Storms.

Thanks again,
Gordon

Bike
ST1100
I am getting ready to replace my Roadtec Z6's at 17K+ miles. Wear was great but I was never quite pleased with handling. The tire size choices for the 1100 SUCK. Might try Avons if I can get the right size. I would really like to go with ME 880's since they are by far the best wearing tires I have ever used.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I had a quality issue with my Avon Storm front tire, but one thing that really impresses me about Avon is that they stand behind their products. I assume they were aware of the QC for the Storm ST's and that may have been what prompted them starting their new Storm ST 2 Ultra series, which is what Avon sent me recently as a replacement. I'm getting it mounted this week. I'm curious how it will differ in handling and longevity. This tire is supposed to grip better and last longer. I never wore my first set of Avon's out so I'll have to use my own data to compare the new tire to.

Mellow, thanks for your table of tires. i wanted to try a different brand as they are both due. i'm going for the road 2's having good luck with michelin in the past. happy riding! Tom Scheidecker Missoula, Montana

Bike
'05 ST - R.I.P.
Bike
ST1100 2k
As per Metzeler web site, the ROADTEC Z6 INTERACT is now available for the ST1100 Reg rear size (160/70ZR 17). The table on page one should be updated.

Top Bottom