ST Hesitation

I'm going to look at a 2002 1100 ST, according to the seller it has a slight hesitation at about 2300 rpms in second gear at in town speeds. Ideas what the cause might be? Thanks

Bike
R1200rt
I'm going to look at a 2002 1100 ST, according to the seller it has a slight hesitation at about 2300 rpms in second gear at in town speeds. Ideas what the cause might be? Thanks
too many to mention ,, sounds odd

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Haven't got a clue. But if it was mine I would start to look at:

It improves when the engine revs increase ?

Spark plugs seating properly.
Plugcaps faulty.
HT leads corroded at either end
HT leads cracked / has pinprick holes
Bad earth on coil mounts.

Fuel filter (an easy check on the 1100).

But this is not an easy diagnosis to make on a bike that you are wanting to buy and can involve deliberate systematic testing and improvement to come up with a solution.

These were my efforts on my 1300. ST1300 Poor Running - HT Leads & Plugs - Solved | ST1300 Related | ST-Owners.com
(I know the info is relating to a 1300, but the HT ignition system is very similar on the 1100).

Last edited:
OP
OP
It runs smooth and starts as it should other than this slight hesitation at slight throttle at the low rpm. Yes it runs as it should as the rpm's increase. It is an ABS/TCS model with only 20,000 miles.

Bike
R1200rt
It runs smooth and starts as it should other than this slight hesitation at slight throttle at the low rpm. Yes it runs as it should as the rpm's increase. It is an ABS/TCS model with only 20,000 miles.
different explanation . now normal maint like carb sync should be done first. That should help but it could be a carb cleaning issue. The bike must of sat a lot, I hope it was indoors.

OP
OP
different explanation . now normal maint like carb sync should be done first. That should help but it could be a carb cleaning issue. The bike must of sat a lot, I hope it was indoors.
It was stored indoors, super clean and I like ABS brakes on a moto. They saved me once (I believe).

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Yes, carbs. should be clean and the HT side needs to be 100% as well. Check the plug caps for damage and then take them apart (with a large screwdriver). There's a spring and a resistor inside that may need a clean.

Bike
2010 ST1300
A 2002 is old enough to vote, drink, and die for this country. If the bike has only seen 20k miles in 21 years, it has spent a lot of time entertaining spiders and other bugs in the garage...not good for these bikes. Absent a detailed maintenance record, you will have to do a lot of basic, routine maintenance to get this bike back in fighting trim, then it will be reliable and give you good, trouble free service. Do not think you can take this to a dealer...most of the guys here do our own work on our bikes and know more about them than the so called Honda Service Techs. Read the article below to get an idea of what you need to catch up on.

Were I in the market for an ST, I'd mortgage the house, and even the neighbor's dog (never my own) to get funds to buy this bike. You will never find another ST in the same condition as one after Larry has breathed on it. I'd even go out on a limb and guarantee this bike (below) will give you trouble free riding for several years.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Ride the bike and see for yourself how it performs. Then if you buy it...

I would say the cause is in the carbs. It's been run an average of 1000 miles a year. Pick a nice day, if you can find one this time of year, top off the tank and load it up with some carb cleaner. I would mix it a little heavy on the cleaner to gas ratio. Your choice on the brand. Several are favorites around here, Sea Foam, B12 (Berryman's ??), Lucas, Marvel Mystery Oil, and synthetic marine 2 stroke oil to name a few. Go ride it pretty hard running through the RPM range and then concentrating on the 2300 RPM (about 50 mph) area. Try to burn through most of the tank, about 200 miles. It'll probably take several tanks.

OP
OP
I'm pretty sure it was only ridden to Starbucks on weekends.
Seriously, for $2,500 I'm inclined to give it a go. I can do most maintenance stuff myself but I also know a cheap bike can get expensive in a hurry sometimes. I've been looking for the ABS version for awhile

Bike
VStrom 650
I'm pretty sure it was only ridden to Starbucks on weekends.
Seriously, for $2,500 I'm inclined to give it a go. I can do most maintenance stuff myself but I also know a cheap bike can get expensive in a hurry sometimes. I've been looking for the ABS version for awhile
I wouldn't be surprised that it just needs a service and to be ridden more. Put some SeaFoam through and enjoy.
Good luck.
Upt.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Maybe consider a lower offer since it’s not necessarily turn key (not yet anyway) given the hesitation issue- that should be good for some degree of $$$ off. There’s many out there, so if the seller doesn’t want to budge, keep looking.

Sad these bikes are so cheap, but that’s the market for a 20+ year old bike…also the reason I won‘t part with mine- I’d have pretty substantial sellers remorse.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I'd buy it if it were closer. If it was in Good shape.
I concur with the minor carb problems. Probably best to pull the carbs and physically clean the idle jets and circuit.
Then synch the Carbs.
Or you could try the carb cleaner and Italian Tune-up method. They always seem to run best after a couple hundred miles in a day.
Maybe dump any fuel in the Tank and replace with fresh stuff , Chevron has Techron, I like the mid grade although they run fine on Regular.

How many miles on it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Just under 20,000 miles, minor cosmetic issue, one of the side bags feel off and had a not great repaint, otherwise very clean.

Bike
1994 Honda ST1100
Two things - if bike has sat for a year or more would drain fuel, add fresh fuel with a strong cleaning additive (we use K100 -fuel stabilizer and water emulsifier) and replace fuel plugs. The fuel we burn today is not as "clean" as we are encouraged to believe. One last thing - replace air filter. First basic steps to do. If you have access to Honda's MCS one should be able to look at the live data (fuel trim both short and long).

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Partial-throttle opening just off-idle is transition from idle circuits to pilot circuit. Most likely clogged pilot circuit. While you can certainly use cleaners, most aren’t that effective anymore due to removal of chlorinated compounds. Thanks a lot crunchy-granola, bark-eating smelly hippies!!!

Other carb circuits are probably clogged as well. Best to completely disassemble, scrub out all secret hidden passages in carb body. Poke out all bleed holes with soft copper wire. Then ultrasonic soak everything along with final micro soda-blast before reassembly.

Top Bottom