ST11 Mirror Block Off Plates?

Bike
1991 ST1100
Hello all!

Does anybody know if there are mirror block-off plates we can buy for these bikes?

I am missing my mirrors, but refuse to pay $200+ for a set. I am wanting to try to find some block-off plates to make it look less trashy.

If anybody has a 3D scan of a mirror, that would work also and I can just modify it for block-offs.

Or if anybody lives in the Denver area and has a mirror cover laying around, I can grab some measurements of it and create a 3D file of it.

Bike
VStrom 650
OK, I'll ask another obvious question, @Bush and me are good at that.
How much time and money will be spent buying, fitting and generally modding the bar end mirrors.
How much time, money and then some more time in making fitting the mirror aperture covers.
How much are you going to spend on new indicators and the time involved in fitting them and associated bits and bobs.
Does $200.00 now sound cheap and easy?
Good luck fella.
Upt'North.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
3D files on hand would be nice. One day we’ll be able to print any tupperware as needed.
I don’t have an 1100 to scan though.
would like to scan wind deflectors for the 1300 if I could find half a set.

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100
OK, I'll ask another obvious question, @Bush and me are good at that.
How much time and money will be spent buying, fitting and generally modding the bar end mirrors.
How much time, money and then some more time in making fitting the mirror aperture covers.
How much are you going to spend on new indicators and the time involved in fitting them and associated bits and bobs.
Good luck fella.
Upt'North.
I won't need to modify the bar-end mirrors, they just screw in.

If I can get a mirror cover to 3D scan, then very little money. I also travel for work, so it is not like I have anything to do during the day after 11 AM, and I am only home 2 days out of the week.

I am just gonna grab turn signals that mount onto the forks, not very hard to wire them in.

I also just went and looked again for mirrors, and looks like the $200 set is gone, it is more like $400+ now. Especially since I live in the US, I have to pay shipping rates that are ridiculous and deal with customs.

Whats a project without some trial and error? Sounds boring to me.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
So, you want block offs for the mirror covers, not the mirrors themselves?

If so, maybe you could print a solid plate that matches the mating profile between the cover and the fairing. You've got all the dimensions you need from the existing fairing.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Blocks the hole on the side of the bike where the mirror goes, nobody makes them.

567077-1-medium.jpg
They probably don't make the plates because it's a safety hazard since you need your mirror assembly which also contains your turn signals. They figured if they made them there would be almost no demand.

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100
They probably don't make the plates because it's a safety hazard since you need your mirror assembly which also contains your turn signals. They figured if they made them there would be almost no demand.
You can mount the signals elsewhere. I am either mounting them to the forks or the bar-ends.

I think with the part availability dwindling, the demand would go up as it would seal the mirror opening from water and dirt and provide less turbulence in the intake tubes and inside the fairings by sealing that hole, just my thought, I haven't taken it to a wind tunnel to back that up haha.

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100
The plate would need the three 'prongs' that the mirror cover uses.
Also, be sure to put in the two bolts where the mirror normally goes as they hold the upper fairings to the cowl stay.
Do you know what the size of those bolts is? I bought the bike with both mirrors removed/broken.

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100
So, you want block offs for the mirror covers, not the mirrors themselves?

If so, maybe you could print a solid plate that matches the mating profile between the cover and the fairing. You've got all the dimensions you need from the existing fairing.
Yeah if I can not find a mirror cover to scan, that is what I am going to do. I wanted some of the curves from the cover to make it look a little better than just a flat plate on the side.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Do you know what the size of those bolts is? I bought the bike with both mirrors removed/broken.
Not off the top of my head, but I'll check when I get home this evening and let you know.
I know they have a 10mm head (socket size that fits).
If you could make a 'snap-in' cover with a little bit of curve it would look pretty neat.

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100
Not off the top of my head, but I'll check when I get home this evening and let you know.
I know they have a 10mm head (socket size that fits).
If you could make a 'snap-in' cover with a little bit of curve it would look pretty neat.
Definitely what I am trying to go for, keep some similar curves that the mirror has then slope it down towards the back.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
The OEM fasteners are flange bolts, 6x20mm with the mirror. 8mm head.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Ray, we could boiler plate this post and apply it to dozens of other projects that show up here on a regular basis.

How much time and money will be spent buying, fitting and generally modding the ________________.
How much time, money and then some more time in making fitting the __________________.
How much are you going to spend on new _________ and the time involved in fitting them and associated bits and bobs.
Does _________ now sound cheap and easy?

nothing new to this site, just a different topic.

But on a practical note, I have to ask what he's going to use for turn signals that are normally integrated into the mirror housings.

Top Bottom