ST11 Mirror Block Off Plates?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, the longer the ST1100s are on the road, and the more scarce the mirror/blinker assemblies become, the more interesting this topic becomes.
It's shame it would be so expensive to carry a left/right mirror cover to a ABS prototyper and have them make a batch up.
They would probably cost $500 a piece!

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100
Ray, we could boiler plate this post and apply it to dozens of other projects that show up here on a regular basis.

How much time and money will be spent buying, fitting and generally modding the ________________.
How much time, money and then some more time in making fitting the __________________.
How much are you going to spend on new _________ and the time involved in fitting them and associated bits and bobs.
Does _________ now sound cheap and easy?

nothing new to this site, just a different topic.

But on a practical note, I have to ask what he's going to use for turn signals that are normally integrated into the mirror housings.
That question has literally been answered 3 times so far in this thread.

It is either going to be mounted on forks, bar-ends, or I will custom fab something to integrate turn signals into my block off plates.

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100
Well, the longer the ST1100s are on the road, and the more scarce the mirror/blinker assemblies become, the more interesting this topic becomes.
It's shame it would be so expensive to carry a left/right mirror cover to a ABS prototyper and have them make a batch up.
If I could find somebody with mirror housings, I could 3D scan them and that would be half of the puzzle solved. We would just need to figure out something with the mirror mount. To be honest, I feel like everything could be 3D printed then just get a custom mirror made/installed.

I do have a few rolls of metal impregnated filament which would allow me to print a mirror bracket, then bake it and we would have aluminum brackets.

Probably would only cost $300ish for a set of covers and mirror mounts. And would go down as we make them.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
OK, I'll ask another obvious question, @Bush and me are good at that.
How much time and money will be spent buying, fitting and generally modding the bar end mirrors.
How much time, money and then some more time in making fitting the mirror aperture covers.
How much are you going to spend on new indicators and the time involved in fitting them and associated bits and bobs.
Does $200.00 now sound cheap and easy?
Good luck fella.
Upt'North.
Ray, we could boiler plate this post and apply it to dozens of other projects that show up here on a regular basis.

How much time and money will be spent buying, fitting and generally modding the ________________.
How much time, money and then some more time in making fitting the __________________.
How much are you going to spend on new _________ and the time involved in fitting them and associated bits and bobs.
Does _________ now sound cheap and easy?

nothing new to this site, just a different topic.

But on a practical note, I have to ask what he's going to use for turn signals that are normally integrated into the mirror housings.
@Upt' North and @dwalby , you both have a point here, but @Phunter103 has the bike he has and he's trying to make it his own within the means available to him. I suspect most of us here are older and have the means to source that elusive part to make our ST whole no matter the cost or challenge in finding it. That's what *I* would do.

But @Phunter103 will be happy with bar-end mirrors and some universal indicators to get himself back on the road and keep his mount DOT legal.

Unfortunately there's currently little to no market for the part you seek @Phunter103 .

If I were doing this I'd source the 6mm bolt with a suitable washer to secure the upper fairing to the cowl stay. Though the mirrors spec two bolts per side, I think without the mirrors one per side would do the job. Then rather than using the mirror mount bolts for the cosmetic cover, use the screws that hold the clips which the posts in the mirror cover connect to. I'd probably do it in two phases - first just to cover that area for cosmetics; that could be done with a thin sheet of ABS you might find at a hobby shop and cut with a saw or even scissors. @paulcb has the right idea that the shape you need is right there on the upper cowl of the fairing. And later you might follow up with a more sculpted, aesthetically pleasing effort that could be 3D printed or even vacu-formed over a buck you might carve out of wood (or even use the 3D printed part for that).

Good luck! We'd love to see what you eventually come up with!

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
If I could find somebody with mirror housings, I could 3D scan them and that would be half of the puzzle solved. We would just need to figure out something with the mirror mount. To be honest, I feel like everything could be 3D printed then just get a custom mirror made/installed.
Come on! Is there a Colorado ST-Owner out there with an 1100 that can meet this guy and get a scan made?

@Phunter103 , you do have a means of performing a 3D scan, right? :)

Bike
2000 ST1100
Yeah almost makes me think I better attach some kind of chain and padlock to them.....since all they do is pop off and cut the plastic strap and its gone.o_O

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100
@Upt' North and @dwalby , you both have a point here, but @Phunter103 has the bike he has and he's trying to make it his own within the means available to him. I suspect most of us here are older and have the means to source that elusive part to make our ST whole no matter the cost or challenge in finding it. That's what *I* would do.

But @Phunter103 will be happy with bar-end mirrors and some universal indicators to get himself back on the road and keep his mount DOT legal.

Unfortunately there's currently little to no market for the part you seek @Phunter103 .

If I were doing this I'd source the 6mm bolt with a suitable washer to secure the upper fairing to the cowl stay. Though the mirrors spec two bolts per side, I think without the mirrors one per side would do the job. Then rather than using the mirror mount bolts for the cosmetic cover, use the screws that hold the clips which the posts in the mirror cover connect to. I'd probably do it in two phases - first just to cover that area for cosmetics; that could be done with a thin sheet of ABS you might find at a hobby shop and cut with a saw or even scissors. @paulcb has the right idea that the shape you need is right there on the upper cowl of the fairing. And later you might follow up with a more sculpted, aesthetically pleasing effort that could be 3D printed or even vacu-formed over a buck you might carve out of wood (or even use the 3D printed part for that).

I really wish I had the funds to just buy parts for the bike, I originally got it for like $1k since the old owner could not get it running (ended up just needed a carb clean and new gas) and quickly realized that while I got a great deal on the bike, it is extremely hard to find parts. This is why I want to 3D print as many parts as I can.

Ill definitely keep you guys updated, who knows, maybe I will make a few extra for some people here.

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100
Come on! Is there a Colorado ST-Owner out there with an 1100 that can meet this guy and get a scan made?

Yep, as long as I can get my hands on one side cover, I can scan it then mirror and print it.

We could print theoretically everything in the mirrors, and any small parts that are hard to find/expensive.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Yep, as long as I can get my hands on one side cover, I can scan it then mirror and print it.

We could print theoretically everything in the mirrors, and any small parts that are hard to find/expensive.
I like your style young man. You sound a lot like my son (that's him peeking over my shoulder).

Suggestion... If you want the metal posts that engage the clips in the upper fairing, mirror covers for both the ST1100 and ST1300 that are broken beyond recovery could serve as donors. They could be embedded/glued into the parts you'd print and allow a similar breakaway function that the OEM mirror covers do.

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100
I like your style young man. You sound a lot like my son (that's him peeking over my shoulder).

Suggestion... If you want the metal posts that engage the clips in the upper fairing, mirror covers for both the ST1100 and ST1300 that are broken beyond recovery could serve as donors. They could be embedded/glued into the parts you'd print and allow a similar breakaway function that the OEM mirror covers do.
If they are just ball/socket type of pins then that should not be a big deal to print inside of the cover to give the breakaway feature. We could even reinforce that area in order to keep them from breaking off.

A lot of parts I have seen need more reinforcements compared to OEM.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #

I don't know first hand of any ST1100 owners here in Colorado, and I haven't owned one in a couple of decades.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Get a Dremel out and buzz the whole base off the cowl/fairing and glue in a piece of ABS sheet. Putty, sand and paint. Call it done. :biggrin:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, once you're done, there are some ST1300 guys that would like some 3d printed maint lids that have fallen off. Good luck on your efforts.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Yes indeed, please keep us poSTed. [now that I’ve poSTed this thread is in my ”watched” thread list]

Edit: many years ago I cut out the brass bayonet pins in one of my broken mirror covers and drilled-n-threaded two of them in a misguided attempt to solve the ‘saddlebag flop’ problem. Long story - didn’t work and is really unnecessary… let’m flop!’ Anyway, there should be a lot of broken mirror covers that the pins can be harvested from. :confused:

John

Last edited:

I do have a few rolls of metal impregnated filament which would allow me to print a mirror bracket, then bake it and we would have aluminum brackets.

Probably would only cost $300ish for a set of covers and mirror mounts. And would go down as we make them.
Do you have theSoftware for the right hand St 1100 mirror cover ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom