Article [11] ST1100 - Fuel Pump Replacement

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
Last weekend I took the plunge and installed the HFP-360 that's being advertised on ebay using the Airtex model number.
(riding the old CBR600F through heavy rains isn't all that great - I forgot how much less protection from the elements you get from the fairing & windshield)

Sofar so good, rode almost 450 miles in two days with almost 250 miles of it @ 80-100 mph, didn't show any signs of running out of fuel like it did with the OEM pump (when running cold it still performed within specs)

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Good additional info, Woonjas. Mine (lipSTick is still running fine with STick's pump 'n tank in place,,, and STick is running fine with ReSTored's rebuilt stock pump.

So, I have three of the after market pumps setting on the shelf (juST in case) plus the aux. pump installed with a power switch on lipSTick. <knock on wood> So far, so good. :D

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
A couple of weeks ago i experienced the hot weather rapid altitude change fuel pump failure that left me on the side of the road twice in one weekend for about 10 minutes. I replace my stock pump with a Facet 40178 cube pump mounted right where the former vacuum fuel cutoff valve was located. I chose this particular Facet pump because it is rated a 2-3.5 psi and has a lift of 36 inches and 15 GPH. The other thing this pump has is an anti-backflow check valve and it cuts the fuel flow when it is not powered, other Facet pumps do not share these features. I removed the original pump from its mounting by removing the white plastic snap on clip and cut a disc out of aluminum sheet and inserted it in the mount where the pump was removed and used the original o-ring and plastic clip to hold it in place. Now the new pump will pull the fuel through the original pickup screen. There is a check valve in the fuel pickup just where the original pump fed into the fuel line, I left this in place. I wired the facet pump directly into the power wire that fed the original pump. I rode the bike about 50 miles and ran it wide open against a stiff wind with less than a gallon of fuel and so far no signs of starvation and everything runs fine.

Dan

Last edited:

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
You have done more homework on the Facet than I have. I have gotten three from them. The latest is a lower flow than the other two, I hope it is the 40178 for the added fearures. I will look tonight. I also need to get my fittings on so if I need to put it on, it will be ready to just hook up wires, fuel line and go.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I removed the original pump from its mounting by removing the white plastic snap on clip and cut a disc out of aluminum sheet and inserted it in the mount where the pump was removed and used the original o-ring and plastic clip to hold it in place. Now the new pump will pull the fuel through the original pickup screen. There is a check valve in the fuel pickup just where the original pump fed into the fuel line, I left this in place
Thanks for the report, Dan. Good job, more good info on this issue! Not quite sure I understand the above, though... pictures would be great.

John

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I should have taken pictures - sorry about that. What I am referring to is, the original fuel pump is held in place by a white plastic cage, that snaps in place to hold it in the mount. When you pry this plastic cage off the pump, the pump will slide out of the mount. With the pump removed, there is a large opening in the end of the fuel pickup screen, where the pump was originally mounted. I cut a disc out of aluminum sheet and placed it in the opening, where the original pump was inserted, and used the original o-ring that sealed the pump to hold the disc in place(placed it under the disc) - the original white plastic cage was then snapped back in place to hold the sealed disc in place and close the end of the fuel pickup screen. I was concerned that the original pump, if left in place, may restrict the fuel flow. It may not hurt anything to leave the original pump in place but I did not test this.

Dan

Last edited:

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Well,,,mine is the 40163 W/O the positive shut off valve. Too bad. But on the up side,,the 40163is a 1.5 to 2.5 lb pump which if I'm not mistaken is close to the OEM. And that may be a moot point too as I had run the 40105 in my 97 for some time and noticed no mileage or performance issues. That pump is even higher output than the 40178. The 40105 pushes 3.0 to 4.5 :shrug2:

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Here's an update. Since I installed the Facet 40178 cube pump I now have about 400 miles on it. Rode today in very hot weather over the paas that my original pump quit on me a couple of weeks ago. So far so good - hot weather, cold coastal weather, in traffic and wide open 120 MPH runs beautiful. MPG is normal as well. Now to see if it is reliable, I bought a spare pump to take with me just in case. Found the Facet 40178 online for 54.00.

Dan

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Mine worked well too, as should be expected from an aviation unit. Good luck with continued good results.

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
Looks like my mileage is down from 49mpg to 39 with the Airtex clone (hfp-360).
No signs of leakage, but I noticed that I no longer (or barely) need to use the 'choke' in the morning, probably because of the higher pressure & throughput.
Bike appears to be more responsive as well. Other than that I did not notice anything 'off' in the way the engine sounds to account for the extra thirst.
l'm wondering what my options are in increasing my mileage back to the original values - lower voltage to the pump perhaps, or modify jets?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
What pressure is the hpf-360 rated? If it is more than 4-5 psi this may not allow the float needle seats to completely shut off. To fix this you would have to install smaller float needle seats (smaller hole). Another option would be to add a fuel pressure regulator though finding room for it could be a challenge. The Facet 40178 pump I installed is rated at 2- 3.5 psi and so far has not effected my fuel mileage.

Dan

Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Quick update from Indy - installed the Airtex back in March during the Indy Tech day and it has been running fine all year...until last week. Haven't had time to trouble shoot the issue yet to determine if it is fuel pump related, but within 2 1/2 blocks the bike went from running fine to chugging a bit to stopping. I was able to get it restarted briefly with full choke, but as soon as I engaged the throttle even slightly the engine sputtered and died.

Not sure when I'll have time to dig into it, but will keep everyone posted.

[Edit] - with GaryZR's help, we found that one of the power lead connectors to the pump right under the seat was not fully seated - fully pushing it onto the connection solved the issue.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
All the fuel pumps, all years, are the same unit,,, search for parts at Service Honda. Click on easy oem parts lookup. All the fische for all years are on there.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
update: the rebuilt OEM pump in STick gave up the ghost a couple weeks ago. When tested, it would output only a trickle. Mike Turley sent me the OEM pump out of Will England's wreck; it, too, was frozen up after setting for a few years. Nothing I tried would free it up. So...

I installed one of the Airtex pumps in the stock bracketry and installed it. It pumps a ton, too much in fact. My gas mileage fell from ~40 to low 30s. I have 3500 plus miles on it and I'm tired off paying the diff at the pump. Just ordered a Spectre adjustable fuel regulator at Advanced Auto Parts if Pflugerville, TX. It'll be here tomorrow. It will fit easily in the space left vacant by the vacuum fuel cut-off device. Hope this helps as all else seems good. STick has run the past week at an average 500 milles/day without a stutter. She now has nearly 204,000 miles. Can't complain about that.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Hey George and others - I have been running the Facet 40178 pump now for about 6K miles with no issues at all. It is a 2-3.5 psi with a check valve to prevent back flow. No mileage difference at all from stock pump. I removed the in-tank pump and plugged the hole in the pickup screen. mounted the pump where the vacuum shutoff valve used to live. So far so good.

The facet 40178 pump usually is found at Marine supply stores as these are commonly used in boats. You can order them on the internet as well.

Dan

Top Bottom