st1100 handle bar risers

I'm a new ST1100 rider, a 1997. My other riders are PC800 Honda Pacific Coast. I am looking to get a more upright feel to my ST1100 like the PC. Suggestions on risers? Thanks

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
I'm a new ST1100 rider, a 1997. My other riders are PC800 Honda Pacific Coast. I am looking to get a more upright feel to my ST1100 like the PC. Suggestions on risers? Thanks
Welcome to the forum.
I would second the above recommendation.
Best way to go.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hello, and welcome to the forum community.

Here's a link to a past discussion about the same subject, you might find some good information there: Question on Risers.

What I did to my ST 1100, about 18 years ago (and I'm still happy with it), is what is called a "flip-clip" mod. It's easy - you just order two of the OEM top clips for the handlebars (Honda part number 53131-HB6-000, about $13 each) and install them underneath the handlebar. You then install longer bolts (commonly available).

This gives you about a 1 inch rise, which was sufficient for me. It also allows you to retain the existing plastic cover for the handlebars, something you often can't do with other risers.

You might want to consider doing this "flip-clip" mod first, see if it solves your ergonomic problem, before getting into more expensive alternatives that often require new brake and clutch lines.

Lastly - since you are a new ST 1100 owner, here's a link to our forum's amazing collection of ST 1100 Technical Articles: ST 1100 Tech Articles

Michael

The 'Flip-Clip' Modification - for a 1 inch handlebar rise
This is a seriously old photo - the odometer shows less than 60 km, but the bike now has more than 200,000 km on it :)

OP
OP
sjsavin

Here's a link to a past discussion about the same subject, you might find some good information there: Question on Risers.

What I did to my ST 1100, about 18 years ago (and I'm still happy with it), is what is called a "flip-clip" mod. It's easy - you just order two of the OEM top clips for the handlebars (Honda part number 53131-HB6-000, about $13 each) and install them underneath the handlebar. You then install longer bolts (commonly available).

This gives you about a 1 inch rise, which was sufficient for me. It also allows you to retain the existing plastic cover for the handlebars, something you often can't do with other risers.

You might want to consider doing this "flip-clip" mod first, see if it solves your ergonomic problem, before getting into more expensive alternatives that often require new brake and clutch lines.

Lastly - since you are a new ST 1100 owner, here's a link to our forum's amazing collection of ST 1100 Technical Articles: ST 1100 Tech Articles

Michael

This is a seriously old photo - the odometer shows less than 60 km, but the bike now has more than 200,000 km on it :)

clever, thanks

Bike
1999 Honda ST1100
I just put 3-1/2" Rox risers on my 2002 st1100 yesterday. I will post pictures and a review soon.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Glad you found the information useful.

One last tip - if you go this route (the flip-clip mod), and you are new to working on Honda motorcycles, be careful to not over-torque the 4 bolts that hold the handlebars in place. The handlebar bolts are one of many examples where Honda has used a steel bolt to thread into a tapped aluminum casting. If you over-torque the bolts (and not too much over-torque is needed), you will inadvertently strip out the threads from the casting. The torque spec for these handlebar bolts is 27 N·m (20 foot-pounds).

Michael

Former PC800 owner here. I loved that bike. ST1100 seems a bit like a natural progression. One day I think I'll have another PC800.

Bike
1999 Honda ST1100
Here are the images of my ST 1100 with the 3-1/2" Rox risers. I did have to remove both the clutch and brake levers and move the cables down and under the handlbars. Also, for the clutch side, I had to fish the lever down between the fairing and the the handlebars, between the forks and back up on the inside. A bit tricky but it works. I also had to disconnect the little bracket that hold the front brake line to the fork to allow for enough slack. I think for peace of mind I will have to order a longer brake line or make a modified bracket to reconnect the brake line.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Bringing that brake hose in behind the top bridge gives more play. Can be done without breaking the line, but I had all the plastic off when I did my riser install. My pics are on that other thread you have linked to.

Also, you appear to have routed the clutch line same as I did, but I found that turning the bars full lock either way caused the hose to rub on the corner of the top bridge, so I used that brake hose stay that you removed to secure the clutch hose to the upper fork. Adjust its position carefully, as it can conflict with the edge of the top shelter ( faux fuel tank).

Last edited:
Bike
1999 Honda ST1100
Bringing that brake hose in behind the top bridge gives more play. Can be done without breaking the line, but I had all the plastic off when I did my riser install. My pics are on that other thread you have linked to.

Also, you appear to have routed the clutch line same as I did, but I found that turning the bars full lock either way caused the hose to rub on the corner of the top bridge, so I used that brake hose stay that you removed to secure the clutch hose to the upper fork. Adjust its position carefully, as it can conflict with the edge of the top shelter ( faux fuel tank).
Good advice..... I'll be doing a bit more adjusting to get things secure....

OP
OP
sjsavin

Michael

Followed your advice, top clamps were ordered and came in this week. Just put them on, oh what a genius you are, it is so much better. I'll play with it a bit more with a few washers and the angle of the bars... but Oh so good now...

Bike
1997 ST 1100
STOC #
Here are the images of my ST 1100 with the 3-1/2" Rox risers. I did have to remove both the clutch and brake levers and move the cables down and under the handlbars. Also, for the clutch side, I had to fish the lever down between the fairing and the the handlebars, between the forks and back up on the inside. A bit tricky but it works. I also had to disconnect the little bracket that hold the front brake line to the fork to allow for enough slack. I think for peace of mind I will have to order a longer brake line or make a modified bracket to reconnect the brake line.
I have Helibar first gen and fully extended with them leaned back I am still on my wrists. (short arms) I like the way this looks and am hoping mine turn out as good!!

Michael

Genius solution, mine just needs to come back an inch to take the pressure off my elbows and a bit of height will make it nicer as well. Just bought second hand ones on eBay. Now just need to find the longer bolts with the correct tensile strength.

Top Bottom