ST1100 Off-Size Tires (Michelin PR2)?

New

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Can't get the Avon Storm's until end of September. Dealer recommended Michelin Pilot Road 2's, but the rear is off-size (160/60 17 instead of 160/70 17) as replacements.

Any thoughts or experience appreciated. Yeah, I know, the 1300 takes the 160/70 17's, maybe I'll pick up a 13 next year.

Thanks,

Jeff

OP
OP

New

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Previous Tire Experience

Probably should've posted this in the start of this thread.

Previously used:
Dunlop Arrowmax - 15,500 km. Handling - fine, Crashed at 40 km/h on damp, 5?C pavement after less than 1 km so tires were still cold
Metzler ME Z6 front, Z4 rear - 11,500 km (tires still had a little life left), handling at first was excellent. Crashed at 30 km/h on stupid cement on-ramp, cold tires and road again (you'd think I'd learn)
Bridgestone BT-020 - 13,300 km. Handling sucked pretty much through the entire tire life. Actually did not crash, though (but never really enjoyed the ride)
?????? - ????

I am interested in a tire that handles differently....Let it wear out in less than 10k - cost of replacement tupperware would make up for it

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Can't get the Avon Storm's until end of September. Dealer recommended Michelin Pilot Road 2's, but the rear is off-size (160/60 17 instead of 160/70 17) as replacements.

If you can get your dealer to mount a tire you bring in, you could order a set of D205's. They still make the recommended size for my '01 ST1100A and probably still do for the ST1100 Standard as well.

OP
OP

New

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
I will check on the D205's. Haven't tired them (ok, well, crashed them) yet, and the reviews seem ok.

Ordering from the States can be problematic in Canada - dealer isn't too keen on installing tires they do not order, but I might try and see if the Avons are available elsewhere. Going to Georgia (checked your Two Brothers site) to pick up tires would have been a great excuse for a ride, but I am forced to get tires now due to a rear tire flat.

I am guessing no one has tried using the PR2s on an ST1100. Could not find anything on google but was hoping someone might have tried it

Last edited:

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
I will check on the D205's. Haven't tired them (ok, well, crashed them) yet, and the reviews seem ok.

Ordering from the States can be problematic in Canada - dealer isn't too keen on installing tires they do not order, but I might try and see if the Avons are available elsewhere. Going to Georgia (checked your Two Brothers site) to pick up tires would have been a great excuse for a ride, but I am forced to get tires now due to a rear tire flat.

I am guessing no one has tried using the PR2s on an ST1100. Could not find anything on google but was hoping someone might have tried it
If you have someone in the States I can ship them to then you could pick them up.
Let me know if i can help

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
The problem I have with this is that the dealer making the recommendation is not going to be riding the bike...

If I remember my tire sizes correctly using a 60 instead of a 70 will make the rear lower.
So...
1)
The rake will change (if I'm not using the right term: I'm talking about the angle of the triple tree and forks) due to the low rear end.
2)
It will be harder to put on the center stand.
3)
I think it will lean more on the side stand too.

I wouldn't do it; but, please let us know how it handles if you do it...

Mark

OP
OP

New

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
The problem I have with this is that the dealer making the recommendation is not going to be riding the bike...

If I remember my tire sizes correctly using a 60 instead of a 70 will make the rear lower.
So...
1)
The rake will change (if I'm not using the right term: I'm talking about the angle of the triple tree and forks) due to the low rear end.
2)
It will be harder to put on the center stand.
3)
I think it will lean more on the side stand too.

I wouldn't do it; but, please let us know how it handles if you do it...

Mark
1) We'll have to see. 2 up on "proper" size tires, I had no real noticeable change in "rake" (I don't know if that's the right term either)

2) With the rear tire about 2/3 flat it was not too bad to get on the centre (Canadian spelling) stand - I had worried it would be harder

3) More lean on the side stand (at least in my opinion) would be a good thing usually - bike always seemed too straight when parked on level ground

I will post the result - I guess someone had to be the first to try this (gritting my teeth)

Bike
2002 ST 1100
STOC #
I have an ST1100 and am running the PR2. I was concerned about the smaller rear tire, but it does not seem to affect handling that I noticed. The diameter difference in the rear tire is about 1cm if I am doing my math correctly. The middle number is the % of the sidewall height compared to the width. Since the width is the same, then the side wall is 10% smaller on the 60. My concern was it would take more reps to travel the same distance and would then cause faster where, but that does not seem to be the case, maybe because of the newer technology. I have about 7k miles on the tires and the rear is looking very good, but the front has some slight cupping. Now most will say this is pretty good, but I was getting about 13k on Dunlop 205s (Dunlops and Honda's recommended tire for the 1100). I don't think the PR2 is worth the extra cost over the Dunlops. I can get a front and rear Dunlop for about the cost of the Michelin PR2 rear. I will have to see how things come out after the next 3 or 4k miles.

The ST13 uses a 170/60 rear. So that size will be the right weight rating for the ST11. I have used two of that size on the ST11 (Z6 and currently a Dunlop Roadsmart). No advantage over the proper size as far as I can tell in terms of grip, handling. Disadvantage is a touch lower, so the sidestand needs the bike to be more upright to get it down and the bike leans less, so be careful where you park. Centre stand a bit harder to deploy. Slightly more revs for the same speed, but a bit more acceleration.

Bike
'93 ST1100
Seems like you have traction problems at times...:wink:

I have not tried many tires, but some of what has been mentioned.
The Dunflop D205's came on my '93 ST1100 when I bought it slightly used, and had less than 3000 easy miles on them. I used them for another 1000 miles, and it was the scariest 1000 miles I've rode. Rear was always breaking lose under moderate breaking. Handling sucked as well. But the rear losing traction is why I mention this to you. Still less than 1/2 worn when I yanked them off bike for safety reasons based on my riding style. (while it might not seem so, I am still a very heavy Front breaker, and use rear only lightly). Two thumbs down.

Switched to Avon Storms. These things grip like mad. After 5000 miles, I still have never been able to break lose the rear. Never lost traction, or hydroplaned even in Florida monsoon type rainstorms. Handling is awesome. Bike falls into corners, which leads me to next tire. Two thumbs up for the Storms!

Just rode brothers 2003 ST1300A close to 2000 miles the past couple weeks. Has newer BT021's, with less than 3000 miles on them when I started. Rides like a tank. You must force the bike into corners. Total opposite of Storm handling. Bike always wants to straightenup when you try to lean. Hydroplaning during rain forced me to stop under a bridge to wait out the storm. 2 thumbs down.

Just a few examples that relate to traction, since especially for you, it has been an issue :D

I would go with Metzeler or Storms in the correct size.

Last edited:
OP
OP

New

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for the responses. I had my thinking about the tire height backwards - not too happy that the side stand lean will be even less now, but at least it is something I am aware of.

Turns out it is too late for me to do anything about this - the PR2's have already been ordered.

I think Storms next, then the D205's. If I slide out again, I'm getting training wheels put on.

At least it looks like the PR2's rear is a harder compound than the front. I wear my tires out pretty evenly, but in the cases where I went down, I would swear that both tires lost traction at the same time. My old KZ750 always gave me the rear slide warning first.

Thanks to all,

Jeff
'99 ST1100
'83 Kawasaki KZ750
'95 Schwinn Mountainbike (yes, that is meant to be a joke)

I would be interested in how the PR2s go. Over here they are just so much more expensive than Z6s, Avons and the Roadsmarts that I have not bothered to try them (especially since I really like all of the 3 tyres I have mentioned and can't think of anything being better, unless a lot longer life was on offer for the same grip)

OP
OP

New

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
I would be interested in how the PR2s go. Over here they are just so much more expensive than Z6s, Avons and the Roadsmarts that I have not bothered to try them (especially since I really like all of the 3 tyres I have mentioned and can't think of anything being better, unless a lot longer life was on offer for the same grip)
I will let you know. Unfortunately I will only be able to compare them to the ti(Y)res I've run before. (yeah, we are a former British colony too, yet tire is one of many things we share with the American cousins)

Scout17's report does not bode well, however, for the PR2's - and where you are, cold weather (I don't believe) is much of a problem. RobsTV post agrees with what seems to be the best tire type (Avon Storm) for the ST1100.

Bike
2002 ST 1100
STOC #
If you were having traction issues (which I missed on the first read of your post) then Avons or the PR2s would be a better choice. I am a pretty easy rider and hardly ever loose traction for aggressive driving reasons. What I was looking for was longevity and rain traction. The PR2s are good, but for the extra money there doesn't seem (to me) to be an equal amount of gain. I am pretty new, I may just buy a pair of Storms just so I can have the experience with them as well.

- and where you are, cold weather (I don't believe) is much of a problem.

Depends on what you meany by cold. Around here the lowest I have ridden in is around -10c, during winter it is around 0c all the time. A lot of Australia is inland and gets cold once you move from the coastal areas. Even in a place like Sydney which has a temperate climate on the coastal bit, if you go inland 30kms it snows during winter.

All the more modern radial tyres I have tried on the ST11 are relatively good in cold conditions compared to older bias tyres. We also get to 30c plus a lot so warm road performance is important. Thats the benfits of living inland at 500 metres, compared to all those coastal dwelers

OP
OP

New

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
I had researched moving to Sydney at one point so knew the temps there, but had not checked out other parts. I won't ride below freezing, but everything else goes (+1?C? OK!)

I can definitely say that even the snow regions of Australia do not get as cold as parts of Canada. Not much ice hockey played here though, but there is a small national league. Except for the few snow areas all other parts of Australia are rideable within the above freezing parameters (at least after the sun comes up :)

Top Bottom