ST1100 starving for fuel?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I was not able to download the schematics The sight indicated I needed to be a "friend"
I saw your instructions to view full size and to download _ no luck
Sorry, Bob. Webshots started that new restriction recently. I'd forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder... got me off my butt - I just added them to the AOW Discussion forum at ST-Riders.net where prospective AOW Articles get vetted before final poSTing to the public AOW forum (which should happen quite soon, I expect). If you're registered at ST-Riders.net you can go direct right now and get them:
http://www.stocrallies.com/st-riders/index.php?topic=3908.0
if not, email me with your email address and the diagrams you want and I'll send them to you in an attached archive (.zip) file.

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
Goldwing
STOC #
I checked voltage on the two connectors on the tank that were not obviously ground (with the engine running)
One stayed low (I think for the fuel pump)
One went to 12 volts (I think fuel level)
Bob

Bob,

I'll attach a photo of which terminal is for the fuel pump. Ignore the extra wires attached to the pump, I still have a cut-off switch wired up on my bike. Just remember that the relay applies power to the pump for a second or two when the switch is first turned on and then again after the engine is running.

Rick

Attachments

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I just added them to the AOW Discussion forum at ST-Riders.net where prospective AOW Articles get vetted before final poSTing to the public AOW forum (which should happen quite soon, I expect).
OK, Bob. The colored wiring diagrams are now in the public ST1100 Archive Of Wisdom forum (no need to be a ST-Rider/STOC member):
[URL="http://www.stocrallies.com/st-riders/index.php?topic=3908.msg30171#msg30171"] Wiring Diagrams, colored ( ST1100) [/url]

HTH

John

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Bob,

I'll attach a photo of which terminal is for the fuel pump. Ignore the extra wires attached to the pump, I still have a cut-off switch wired up on my bike. Just remember that the relay applies power to the pump for a second or two when the switch is first turned on and then again after the engine is running.

Rick
Just a note/tip about the pump connectors. If you disconnect the white connector (arrowed in Rick's picture), connect a jumper wire to the positive battery post and touch the other end to the spade connector on the pump (the one the white connector was hooked up to), you can manually run the pump. Real handy for getting fuel out of the tank. Like before pulling the tank out, or for giving some fuel to a buddy who's run out.

Disconnect the hose running to the fuel filter and plug in a length of scrap tubing from your carry-along/emergency tool kit that you have for just that purpose (or ask me :)) to get the pumped out fuel to a suitable container. Or if you have a long enough tube, directly to your buddy's tank. FWIW Hope this helps somebody, someday...

Last edited:
Hello
Thanks again for the help and the photos.
I pulled the fuel pump and gave it a visual > looked ok
Ran 12 volts to it > seems to run fine, no load
Put a meter on the power lead and turned on ignition and run sw > no 12 volts
Removed the power connector and attached meter to lead > 12 volts
Makes me suspicious of the relay
Could not find the relay in the position that your picure indicated.
Pulled 2 relays (R-2208) - retested at the connector not connected to the terminal and got a lazy 6 to 10 volts > I must have pulled the wrong relays
I am trying to avoid removing all the tupperwear!!
Looks like I will have to bite the bullet.
Do you happen to have the part number for the fuel pump relay?
Thanks again
Bob

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Bike
Vstrom 650
My bike done this today as well,started choking like it wasnt getting fuel,seemed to free itself then for a few miles,then stuttered home the last few miles.
I recently fitted a complete new exhaust system,delkevic,and also changed the fuel filter,non oem though,from what i've read here maybe the fuel filter is the problem?
I ran seafoam through her the last tank,this could be very dangerous if it happened whilst overtaking etc.

Top Bottom