Article [13] ST1300 - Add On digital voltmeter

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Re: Add On digital voltmeter

Joe, last week I looked at the photos of your install and ordered a volt meter, today I went back to the install and the photos are gone, only the name of the image is there, this is since the new site. How do I open your photos ?
I have noticed this a lot lately. I would think that the issue is with the links to the photos. I am sure Joe knows about this and will be working on resolving the issue as it is just one of the left over bugs from the upgrade. I have looked at the install and the directions when the photos were still there a couple weeks ago and there wasn't much to the photos. Basically showed him using a mini cutting wheel on a dremel tool to cut the black fairing below the left storage pocket where he mounted it. Then him running the wires and hooking them up to the back of the meter. The rest is pretty well spelled out in the verbage of the directions.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I have noticed this a lot lately. I would think that the issue is with the links to the photos. I am sure Joe knows about this and will be working on resolving the issue as it is just one of the left over bugs from the upgrade. I have looked at the install and the directions when the photos were still there a couple weeks ago and there wasn't much to the photos. Basically showed him using a mini cutting wheel on a dremel tool to cut the black fairing below the left storage pocket where he mounted it. Then him running the wires and hooking them up to the back of the meter. The rest is pretty well spelled out in the verbage of the directions.
I believe the photos are lost. There was a conversion step in the upgrade that was suppose to convert albums/attachments. It looks like it did some but not all of them.

As for the article, yes nothing very complicated at all. I'll take a pic of what it looks like now if that will help.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #

I believe the photos are lost. There was a conversion step in the upgrade that was suppose to convert albums/attachments. It looks like it did some but not all of them.

As for the article, yes nothing very complicated at all. I'll take a pic of what it looks like now if that will help.
Dang that sucks. It isn't that big of a deal in this thread as there wasn't muck to it. I have noticed other threads that seem to be missing images as well. Some of those had photos that were more valuable to the article. Oh well. Maybe we can redocument some of them in future projects.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Okay, I updated the 1st post... I don't think we lost pics, I think it converted some of the album pics as attachments. If you see the interface that comes up when you try to attach a file - it has a list of all your attachments on the site - you can organize them by the folders showing on the left of that window.

Bike
2017 BMW R1200GSA

I installed one of these on my bike today. I just followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread. I took it a little further by adding the bezel (top cover) on the voltmeter. I think it looks better with the bezel. I also added a waterproof momentary switch (OFF - MOMENTARY ON) that I connected directly to the battery. That way, I can check the condition of the battery without turning on the ignition. This is good, for instance, if I don't use the bike for a week or two and want to keep an eye on the battery. I just press and hold down the switch for a second or two and the voltmeter lights up. It was a tight squeeze adding the bezel and the switch below the left pocket but I think the finished product looks pretty good IMO :)

DSC01466 (Large).JPGDSC01472 (Large).JPG

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I installed one of these on my bike today. I just followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread. I took it a little further by adding the bezel (top cover) on the voltmeter. I think it looks better with the bezel. I also added a waterproof momentary switch (OFF - MOMENTARY ON) that I connected directly to the battery. That way, I can check the condition of the battery without turning on the ignition. This is good, for instance, if I don't use the bike for a week or two and want to keep an eye on the battery. I just press and hold down the switch for a second or two and the voltmeter lights up. It was a tight squeeze adding the bezel and the switch below the left pocket but I think the finished product looks pretty good IMO :)

Very nice!

Bike
2012 GL1800 III

Where did you get the bezel ?

Bike
2017 BMW R1200GSA

I ordered it with the voltmeter. Don't recall where I ordered them from but I'll look for the receipt when I get home. I'm pretty good about keeping receipts. I think the bezel was $6 or $7. I bought the voltmeter and bezel last summer but I put off installing them right away because it's scorching hot in my garage in the summer time. So, I decided to make it a (south Florida!) winter project. Winter and spring came and went so I figured I better get them installed before summer rolls around again. I'll post again when I find the receipt.

Bike
2017 BMW R1200GSA

Got it....I ordered my meter and bezel together from digitalmeter.com (also bikemeters.com). Both links take you to the same site. The bezel is $6. Wow, the price of the meter has gone way up, it shows $50 for the red one now. The blue one is $59. I paid $30 for the red one last summer. I guess they're becoming popular.

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie

Can you tell us which momentary switch you used? Have a link or part number and source, or such?
Thanks! Nice job.
Jim

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #

I followed this a few years ago and installed the same voltmeter Mellow did...and I'm just starting to see my first issues. Every once in a while, the meter will not come on when I turn the key on, and won't come on during the entire ride. Next ride works fine (no intermittent operation during rides). Not sure why because I checked and double checked my connections all the way to the fuse block, and on the third time looking I replaced crappy connectors with soldered connections to try to retain some sanity.

Has anyone else experienced this? I can help but think "operator error" but I'm out of ideas where to look!

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I followed this a few years ago and installed the same voltmeter Mellow did...and I'm just starting to see my first issues. Every once in a while, the meter will not come on when I turn the key on, and won't come on during the entire ride. Next ride works fine (no intermittent operation during rides). Not sure why because I checked and double checked my connections all the way to the fuse block, and on the third time looking I replaced crappy connectors with soldered connections to try to retain some sanity.

Has anyone else experienced this? I can help but think "operator error" but I'm out of ideas where to look!
I'm thinking... maybe it's a case of you get what you pay for and it either started out as a poor quality unit or just needs to be replaced. Mine has been working fine since I've installed it but I don't ride daily and probably don't put it through the ringer as far as many here that commute a lot. Any chance the switched wires on your fuse block are loose?

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #

I think anything is possible at this point. I''ll have some time Sunday to take another look at it...

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

So far, I haven't had any problems with mine, and I installed it not long after Joe did and I do ride every day...well, during the week anyway!

Top Bottom