Article [13] ST1300 - Add On digital voltmeter

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Re: Add On digital voltmeter

Found my problem...after installing the VVME HID lights, I now find myself holding in the ignition then turning the key to start the bike. After I starting paying more attention to my issue, I noticed two things happened at the same time (occasionally) when I released the ignition button - the voltmeter would shut off, and my fuel gauge would start flashing (even if the tank was full). The fuel gauge issue has been happening for some time, and I found myself replacing the upper fuel level sensor thinking it was that. I saw other posts relating to the thermistor as well, so I just thought that was the source of the issue.

Well, it turns out my issues were caused by a dying battery. The OEM battery was still in the bike, and while it would start ok, doing a load test I found the voltage dropped to 7.5v on start-up, causing issues with my fuel gauge and this little voltmeter. So, I replaced the battery over the weekend and all is good again. No issues with the voltmeter or the fuel gauge.

Bike
2017 BMW R1200GSA

Please see the schematic below for wiring details, and for photos of the Momentary Button, Battery Voltage, and Alternator Voltage.

Marshal
I've got a question regarding the schematic shown in this post. How is the momentary switch energized from the battery as shown? You're going from the positive terminal on the battery to the #30 on the relay and then from the #87a (blue one) on the relay to the switch. Are #30 and #87a on the relay internally connected? I have the voltmeter and momentary switch on my bike. I took off my plastic last weekend and had to disconnect some of my wires. An electrician buddy of mine had wired it up for me differently than what is shown in this schematic. I guess my memory is not what it used to be because I'm a bit confused now. Rather than mess something up, I just figured I would use the schematic in this post. I've now got it connected as shown here but when I hit the momentary switch with the bike off, nothing happens. I don't seem to be getting power from the battery to the momentary switch with the bike off. The voltmeter comes on when I turn on the ignition. Everything was working fine before. My momentary switch has two terminals, #1 is OFF and #2 is MOMENTARY ON. I've got it connected from #87a on the relay to #1 on the switch, then from #2 on the switch to the positive terminal on the voltmeter. I also have another wire from #87 on the relay to the positive terminal on the voltmeter. The rest of the connections are dummy-proof. Any suggestions?

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #

I've got a question regarding the schematic shown in this post. How is the momentary switch energized from the battery as shown? You're going from the positive terminal on the battery to the #30 on the relay and then from the #87a (blue one) on the relay to the switch. Are #30 and #87a on the relay internally connected? I have the voltmeter and momentary switch on my bike. I took off my plastic last weekend and had to disconnect some of my wires. An electrician buddy of mine had wired it up for me differently than what is shown in this schematic. I guess my memory is not what it used to be because I'm a bit confused now. Rather than mess something up, I just figured I would use the schematic in this post. I've now got it connected as shown here but when I hit the momentary switch with the bike off, nothing happens. I don't seem to be getting power from the battery to the momentary switch with the bike off. The voltmeter comes on when I turn on the ignition. Everything was working fine before. My momentary switch has two terminals, #1 is OFF and #2 is MOMENTARY ON. I've got it connected from #87a on the relay to #1 on the switch, then from #2 on the switch to the positive terminal on the voltmeter. I also have another wire from #87 on the relay to the positive terminal on the voltmeter. The rest of the connections are dummy-proof. Any suggestions?
You did not say that you did, so I assume that you have not used terminals 85 and 86. These are necessary for the relay to function. Terminals 87a and 30 are internally connected --Normally Closed-- unless current is passed between terminal 85 and terminal 86. In that case terminal 87 --Normally Open-- becomes closed while terminal 87a opens.

If you have used a mechanical relay, you should be able to hear the relay open and close with a "click". No click means either that you have a bad relay or that terminal 85 and 86 are not powered and grounded.

Please let me know if this is not the problem.

Marshal

Bike
2017 BMW R1200GSA

I didn't mention the rest of the connections but they're the same as shown in the schematic:

negative on battery - negative on voltmeter
positive on battery - #30 on relay
from switched 12V at fuse box - #85 on relay
grounded on frame - #86 on relay
#1 on momentary switch - #87a on relay (blue)
#2 on momentary switch - positive on voltmeter
#87 on relay (green) - positive on voltmeter

I also tried another spare relay that I had on hand and connected exactly as shown above....nothing!

There's a schematic on the backside of the packaging that the relay came in. It says to ground #85 and #86 is for switching. I tried it that way too but same result.

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #

I didn't mention the rest of the connections but they're the same as shown in the schematic:

negative on battery - negative on voltmeter
positive on battery - #30 on relay
from switched 12V at fuse box - #85 on relay
grounded on frame - #86 on relay
#1 on momentary switch - #87a on relay (blue)
#2 on momentary switch - positive on voltmeter
#87 on relay (green) - positive on voltmeter

I also tried another spare relay that I had on hand and connected exactly as shown above....nothing!

There's a schematic on the backside of the packaging that the relay came in. It says to ground #85 and #86 is for switching. I tried it that way too but same result.
Your relay must have a resistor protecting the contacts from burning. That would require the connection as stated on the package.

You said that "....My momentary switch has two terminals, #1 is OFF and #2 is MOMENTARY ON." The momentary switch should be a make-or-break switch; continuity should be seen between the two terminals only while activating the switch. That requires a "push for ON" (Normal Open) switch. It is possible that yours is "push for OFF" (Normal Closed). Unlikely, but possible.

Marshal

Avtrician

Use a multi meter to check that you actually have 12v at the pin 30 on the relay...

Bike
2017 BMW R1200GSA

I'm pretty sure that #1 is off and #2 is momentary ON on my switch. With all the connections in place as shown in your schematic, I took a test wire with alligator clips on both ends and connected one end to the #30 on the relay and the other end to the #1 on my switch. With the ignition off, I pressed the momentary switch and the voltmeter lit up. That's what led to my original question regarding whether or not #30 and #87a on the relay being connected internally. I don't think I'm getting power between #30 and #87a on the relay. Perhaps that's why my buddy had connected it differently. I may just try to pick up another relay somewhere. Below is a picture of the relay packaging that I mentioned previously. I had purchased two of them at Advanced Auto Parts. That's the only place I found a 5-pin relay locally. As you can see, #85 and #86 are opposite of your schematic.

P6050089.jpg

Avtrician

Your friend may have had a different type of relay, there is one where 87a is a normaly closed contact (87 is open until the relay is switched) and the other type, 87a and 87 are linked and or normally open. (easy to test, use a multimeter on the continuity mode {beeper) and put one lead on 87 and the other on 87a. If connected it will beep)

There is no need to get another relay, just use another connector (either a piggy back, or put two wires in to the one connector) and power your switch from the 30 terminal.

Bike
2017 BMW R1200GSA

Alright, I'm back in business now. I stopped at a Pep Boys on the way home from work today and they had a 5-pin relay with the #87 and #87a on the shelf. Interestingly, it wasn't located with all the other electrical gadgets but rather over by the air horn section. And, it was only $2.99. Can't beat that price so I bought it. Got home and took off the relay that I had been using and connected the new one according to the schematic and it works like it's supposed to now. The voltmeter comes on when I turn on the ignition. With the ignition in the off position, I press the momentary switch and the voltmeter comes on. I just finished putting all the plastic back on the bike. I'd take the bike out for a ride but I haven't had any supper yet! Thanks for the help. I've said it several times before, this forum is great!

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #

Alright, I'm back in business now. I stopped at a Pep Boys on the way home from work today and they had a 5-pin relay with the #87 and #87a on the shelf. Interestingly, it wasn't located with all the other electrical gadgets but rather over by the air horn section. And, it was only $2.99. Can't beat that price so I bought it. Got home and took off the relay that I had been using and connected the new one according to the schematic and it works like it's supposed to now. The voltmeter comes on when I turn on the ignition. With the ignition in the off position, I press the momentary switch and the voltmeter comes on. I just finished putting all the plastic back on the bike. I'd take the bike out for a ride but I haven't had any supper yet! Thanks for the help. I've said it several times before, this forum is great!
Great news.

Marshal

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #

Really want to add a Voltmeter, this sure looks nice! I wonder if it could go on the right (under the locking pocket as I have an aux socket on the right, and would like to add another), and run the wires over to the other side. I am also contemplating adding another fuse box, does it matter if the voltmeter is connected directly to the battery or is just any circuit that is always on (so it could be hooked into the fuse box?) I have a 93 ST11.

Bike
ST1300 ABS 2005

Volt Meter Installation inside speed display - location
I purchased this tiny little voltmeter 0-24V LED display for $12.00 at an electronics market today.

it looks exactly like this one on listed on fleabay below, but measures up to 1-24 volts not 3-10 volts

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-3-5V-9...item3f24121642

It came w/o the box, new, no manuf description, but I liked the fact that it really is small and compact.

Initially, I was tempted to cut into the Left side fairing just blelow the lockable glove box (just like the OEM heated grip controller) but decided, if the unit fails at any point, I would need to source the exact size replacement and may end up with a rectangular hole in my fairing....

I installed this nifty unit, INSIDE the dash, with 3M double sided mounting tape, directly on top of the ST1300 logo. (if I can't remember what model bike I am riding, I probably shouldn't be riding...)

To do this farkle;

remove windscreen
remove 2 bolts located above the glove boxes on ea side
remove mirror covers
remove 1 bolt above ea mirror, holding the dash corners
remove all poppers of top dash cover
remove 2 screws ea side of dash R and L
unplug main dash plug by pressing tabs in and carefully jiggling the plug out (2 seperate white plugs)
lift the dash unit off the bike and place on clean terry towel face down
remove 4 large screws that hold dash unit to panel / facia
carefully remove headlight adjusting knob, with 2 flat bladed screwdrivers, easy-does-it, it can be seized.
remove rubber switch cover for on-board computer, carefully pry off simmilar as above
remove all screws on outer perimiter dash (not small internal screws!)
remove 2 screws that hold the headlight adjuster switch (failure to do this, may result in tears and big $$$)
now, carefully pry the dash front cover off the base.
important, do NOT attempt to clean, adjust or otherwise play with the face of the speedo, especially the needle it is VERY delicate!
now you can stick the voltmeter over the ST1300 logo, drill a 2.5 mm pilot hole on the outer rim of the housing, for the positive and negative wires and close it all up!
I wired it direct to my custom made, switched auxillary fuse block located in the tail.

hope you like it, took about 3 hours and looks stock!

...see pics below:​
Attached Thumbnails

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

Really want to add a Voltmeter, this sure looks nice! I wonder if it could go on the right (under the locking pocket as I have an aux socket on the right, and would like to add another), and run the wires over to the other side. I am also contemplating adding another fuse box, does it matter if the voltmeter is connected directly to the battery or is just any circuit that is always on (so it could be hooked into the fuse box?) I have a 93 ST11.

I'd hook it to something that is only on while the bike is on so it doesn't drain the battery.
You really care about the battery voltage but any supply that doesn't sag too much under load would work.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

I'd hook it to something that is only on while the bike is on so it doesn't drain the battery.
You really care about the battery voltage but any supply that doesn't sag too much under load would work.
To me, the main thing I want to know is if my alternator is charging (I had it go out on me once... not pretty, those batteries die real quick). And hooking it up so it is only activated when the ignition is on, is a smart way to do it!

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #

Hooked it up through the Fuzeblock on a switched circuit. Works great. Nice little meter but it does wash out in the sun.
Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

90210brandon

Be a Zero
Bike
07 Silver ST13
STOC #

Has anyone tried to take a Powerlet basic plug and add Mellow's voltmeter to it?

That way you can plug it in when you want or just leave it in the Powerlet socket you have already. Does this seem silly or do I have a good idea?

90210brandon

Be a Zero
Bike
07 Silver ST13
STOC #
Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Since that type of installation is basically temporary using a Powerlet to cigarette lighter adapter and a commercial DVM like the top pick would be my choice. An an LED for night and LCD for daytime since LEDs are often hard to read in bright light.

My preference would be for a wired in meter and that would probably end up being LED.

Top Bottom