Article [13] ST1300 - Audiovox CCS-100 Cruise Control Install

OP
OP
Jefro

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis
Re: My Audiovox Cruise install...

Use only switched power. Don't connect it to "hot all the time" 12volts. There is no reason to have power to it when the bike sits. But if there IS power all the time, it will remember the last set speed you used, and it will race to that speed as soon as you engage it the next time. Not a good thing.

OP
OP
Jefro

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis

Byron, I did experience a momentary chain hang a few days ago. I was accelerating hard going over an overpass when the cruise control cable got caught under the throttle linkage, as you suggested it might.
I lifted the tank and air box, and took photos of how the chain could get caught. There was a simple solution. I covered about 8 or so chain balls with heat shrink tubing which gave it stiffness, and now won't allow the chain to sag under the brackets. This completely solved the problem.
But, I decided to also add a thin aluminum cover plate over the brackets. This little plate goes well below the brackets, and will not allow any chain to slip beneath it, no matter how much slack it has. I bolted this little cover to the lower left bracket. It fits real snug, and allows the chain to slide over it easily.
I have included photos to show the chain slack before the fix, the chain stuck under the bracket, the new heat shrink tubing, the new little cover piece, and a photo showing the chain with maximum slack at wide open throttle, yet the chain is in absolutely no danger of catching on anything.
Jefro.

Attachments

Byron

STOC #

Jefro,

Glad nothing bad happened during the snag. Nice fab on the guard piece too. :D

dteel

Dana Teel
Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #

Jefro,

Thanks for posting about the snag. I too was worried, but elected not to bust your balls over it. Figured time would prove either you or Byron right. When we talked at the Julian RTE you mentioned you were considering a plate to avoid the problem, seems that even though you considered the possibility of a snag low, you were already thinking of a cure. I'm bet that saved you some time. All I can say is great save!

Jev

I installed the Audiovox this Winter and used the dip switch setting outlined in Ray's instructions. I used a vacuum canister, but from all of the reading, it does not seem to change the performance with or without it.

What I like:
Overall, works great and never want to ride distance without one again.
I use it more than I though I would even on shorter rides.
I was lead rider for a 13 bike group this weekend. It was great for setting the pace.

What I dislike:
Increases 3-4 mph after releasing the set switch, then settles in around 2mph higher than I set it.
Varies speed by 2-3 mph
Sluggish on increasing or decreasing speed

If the darn fairing was easier to remove, it would be fun the experiment.
Anyone have similar issues that you fixed with the dip switches?

Thanks
Tom
Hi Tom,

My CC behaves just as you describe. Installed this winter with a vacuum cannister. Hit SET and the speed increases a little. The UP/DOWN seems to take a lot of jabs before it really increases or decreases. Going up steep hills still have quite a drop in speed if the throttle is left untouched, but I live in the mountains. Switches will probable fix this. Highways that have a min/max grade are good - negligible speed changes. Next time the plastic is off, I plan on testing different switch settings.

Jeff

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS

Dana,

If I remember correctly, your cruise control was set to medium and you thought it took a few seconds to catch up to speed when going uphill. That's why I think I set my to "aggressive."

I find that if I engage the CC at 75 mph, it will surge to 77 or 78, and then settle down to 75. Once you learn to anticipate this, it's not a big deal.

It seems like the choice is between a momentary loss of speed or a momentary burst of speed. Okay, I know, given that choice we'd all take a burst of speed. But you have to anticipate that burst when moving in the flow of traffic. If everyone is moving along at 70 and you engage your CC, you'll run into or crowd the car in front of you because you'll speed up before settling back down to 70

I weigh 155 so your results may vary. I assume heavier riders may benefit more from the more aggressive setting.

Mandel

Last edited:

Jeff,
I am getting use to the CC, but lets us know if you make improvements. It would be nice to have it not increase as much in speed when you set it.
It got a work out through some hills this weekend. Loaded with two for camping, it still held 2mph most of the time and once varied by 3mph.

OP
OP
Jefro

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis

After about three weeks of use, my Cruise simply had no power.
So while we were at Turbo Toms TechSTOC last week, I tested the fuses and all my solder connections, which were good. So then I started testing the wires themselves. I found a break in the red wire that goes to the dash switch.
I sliced the wire open and found the wire was not broken, but looks like a clean cut inside the cover. Probably a poor butt splice when the wire was manufactured.
I called Audiovox, and they said they would replace the entire switch after I fax them a copy of my original sales receipt from Amazon.com. But when I asked about ordering a few small brackets and chain balls, they said no parts are available except the servo and switch.
In the mean time, I have spliced and soldered the red wire, and I am back in business till the new switch comes in a few weeks.
Here are a few photos of the offending wire.
Jefro.

Attachments

dteel

Dana Teel
Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #

Jefro, don't know why you'd even bother unless you have problems again with the switch. Looks like you have a quality splice there to me. Guess I wouldn't turn down a free switch, but I wouldn't replace it unless the one you have fails again.

Just my $.02.

OP
OP
Jefro

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis

Dana, you must be a mind reader, cause that is exactly my plan.
The new switch goes in the box for future use if needed.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

Please forgive me if I can't see my nose in front of my face, but I keep reading about "Ray's instructions" ....I have a Audiovox I would very much like to install, but...I can't find Ray's instructions....HELP!!

Bike
2005 ST1300

Been thinking about a CC for awhile. Any impressions out there on the Rostra brand? Also, I read in one of the other forums that the only way to get these to disingage is to either turn it off or activate the brake light. It won't shut off if you simply twist the throttle off? I recently rode a friend's Ultra-Glide and it hit a resistance on rolloff and then it was like a switch was turned off and I was back to normal operation. Also, is it true that you have to hold the throttle loose enough so it can move as it makes adjustments?

dteel

Dana Teel
Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #

railroadrider, concerning the Audiovox Cruise Control:

You can turn off the cruise control by using the on/off switch.

You can disengage the cruise control by tapping the brake

It will not shut off by twisting the throttle, you can speed up temporally to pass and then just release control of the throttle and the cruise control will allow the speed to decrease slowly to the target speed.

I don't think I would say that you have to hold the throttle loose, the control seems pretty positive to me. I don't fight it and I can accelerate but not decrease speed without disengaging the cruise control.

I have no information or experience with the Rostra.

Byron

STOC #

No personal experience with the Rostra. It does required an additional purchase of a VSS signal reducer because the ST1300 signal is to high for the unit to handle without a reducer.

The CCS-100 will disengage under any of the following circumstances:

Press the Off switch
Apply the front or rear break
Pull in the clutch, a rapid RPM change will cause it to disengage

If you hold the throttle tightly the throttle cables will prevent the CC from being able to advance or retard the throttle. By using a light grip on the throttle you can feel the CC move the throttle when it needs to.

Been thinking about a CC for awhile. Any impressions out there on the Rostra brand? Also, I read in one of the other forums that the only way to get these to disingage is to either turn it off or activate the brake light. It won't shut off if you simply twist the throttle off? I recently rode a friend's Ultra-Glide and it hit a resistance on rolloff and then it was like a switch was turned off and I was back to normal operation. Also, is it true that you have to hold the throttle loose enough so it can move as it makes adjustments?

OP
OP
Jefro

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis

I have gotten a few requests for specs for my bracket, so I took a photo of the drawing with the dimensions in inches and millimeters.

It is thin sheet aluminum, bent in a bench vise, and then spray painted with a semi gloss black finish.

I had to use slightly longer stainless bolts, and needed small washers as spacers behind the bracket because the stock clamp under the bracket is rounded.

Here is a photo of my drawing of the dimensions.
Jefro.

Attachments

Bike
2005 ST1300

Ray are you still out there? I would love to get these detailed instruction he was taliking about.

Top Bottom