ST1300 Clutch bearing gone??

STOC #
A clutch lifter bearing (throw out bearing) failure at 20k would be a defective bearing my guess. Clutch fluid and clutch operation would would have no direct correlation to the life of that bearing. It only wears when the clutch is disengaged. If the clutch did not disengage for whatever reason (fluid leak, master or slave cylinder wear, air/moisture in fluid) theoretically there would be no wear on the bearing.
thanks!

OP
OP
shands

shands

Stuart
Bike
XVS1300 Sidecar comb
I'd go with dduelin's prognosis - it only really 'wears' when it's disengaged. Mine was worn through simply high mileage (75k+).

20k is a low figure for it to go - but seeing as it's nearly a 10 year old bike: could it have been stood for prolonged periods of time? Has it been used on short/stop journeys (given the wet clutch - before the engine oil warms up)? Contaminated engine oil, maybe? Hard one to call if it's a post-mortem.

You've probably already seen it - but an extract from the part's catalogue for reference. At the other end of #14 (bowels of the engine) is the clutch slave cylinder.

Attachments

Top Bottom