st1300 darkside

Bike
ST1300 08
Thanks to nhdiesel and all the others that found a tire to use, mine is on and I love it. I ran a goodyear triple tread about 65,000 miles on my vtx and been looking for a tire for the st. I've had the st about a year and a half and on my third set of tires so I was ready. thanks to all involved.

OP
OP
lham
Bike
ST1300 08
I rode it about 25 miles tonite and will do 100 mile to work and back but I like it. not a bobble on the highway and corners like my old bike did.

OP
OP
lham
Bike
ST1300 08
I'm running 32 for now, it seems to work well at this pressure and it was 100 degrees outside, thanks for the welcome

Bike
2006 ST1300
You mustn't lean much in the corners.
I'll let the others chime in with their own opinions...but for me...OH, IT LEANS!!! I can corner every bit as hard as I did with the MC tire. The Hankook sticks like glue. Its time to replace my front tire (just ordered from the Brothers) and I noticed I used a lot more of the tire than I ever did before.

Most of the people who try a CT are tourers who do most of their miles on the slab, long and straight. I'm one of the few who does about half of my total miles doing local commuting on curvy country roads. This tire handles the corners great, and works in all weather conditions...I rode home from work tonight in torrential rain, and had no problems, except for watching for all the sticks and leafs blown onto the road, and the moose which was on the side of the road near home.

Jim

Bike
2006 ST1300
Contrary to the intuition of backyard physicists, it will lean with a CT and maintain a good contact patch on the road.
Even as the guy running one, I have to admit that before installing it, I thought there would be a major change in handling. I thought there was no way a CT could possibly corner anywhere near how a bike tire does. I really thought I would be giving up cornering ability for tire wear, and I was willing to try it to see if the tradeoff was worth it. I don't blame people for being skeptical of the cornering of a CT. But come try one and see for yourself.

My offer still stands- I'll let anyone on this forum with a valid MC license and proper gear try my bike with the CT.

Jim

Bike
ST1300
Have now ridden twice today after the install. I was surprised on one twisty section .. I thought I was going sedately, just trying to get a feel for the grip the Hankook gave me. Was paying more attention to the possible road debris, entrance, exit, how much lane drift I was encountering and what kind of counter steer I had to use ... about 3-4 miles into the section I actually looked at my speed and was surprised that I was feeling comfortable at 55 mph on 60 degree turns posted for 25 mph. It's great that I'm finding the tire to potentially be a great sticky performer, but as Jim says, I'm one of those touring guys that is just tired of having to worry all the time about the need for a tire change while on a road trip.

Cookies, cookies ! We need more cookies! Has anybody taken note that Sesame Street no longer allows Cookie Monster to go on a cookie rant? At least some of us still have the nuggets to try something like this ...

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'd like to ask something of someone who has installed a Hankook 110. Could you please take an accurate measurement of the tread depth of a new (or nearly new) tire? I'd like 2 locations- fairly close to the center, and off near the edge. I forgot to measure mine when it was new, and I'm curious how much its worn. It still looks about new, so I want to verify it. i realize there is an advertised depth, but I want the actual thing.

Thanks.

Jim

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
The vid of the Triumph Rocket 3 with the 245/45/18 at TWiSTAR in Wisconsin shows width isn't the issue.

(BTW, Deba and I started TWiSTAR in 94. :D)

Bike
2017 ST1300PA
2024 Miles
Love the CT! I have about 500 miles on my Hankook and it is performing great. I rode with two other ST-Owners on Saturday and at one point I was in the lead. After a ride through a twisty section of Hwy 62 in Indiana east of Madison and then stopping to take a break the other two caught up with me. The comment that I got from one of them was, " I can't believe I'm trying to catch up to a bike with a car tire!". It's amazing how stable this tire is not only on the flat straight sections but in the curves as well.

Harry

Bike
"07" ST1300
I am one of those who wonder if going to the darkside would ruin my ride or not affect it. I am not the aggressive lean with a hard throttle kind of rider, but I love laying in the curves. I am almost convinced to try this because I do ware out the middle leaving some good on the sides.:?:

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
With 1500 miles under the belt and having been somewhat skeptical when I installed the CT. I am very impressed in how they perform. At first I was a bit unsure of the performance but as I put more miles on and played with the pressures I have found the sweet spot for me. Now... It is the best tire I have had, in a long time.. The grip is unbelievable.. when leaned in a hard corner it feels really planted and you can add a handful of throttle without fear of loosing traction!
I just spent the weekend at MNSToc and was aggressively riding some twisty roads and this just confirmed how well they performed. This was a unofficial test on how well they handled in the corners and once the testing was complete I was truly happy.
I have tried pressures at 35, 32, 37. and finely settled on 42-43. this is what seems to work for me.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I am on a narrower 175 on my 1100. I don't even think about the tire any more after 1800 miles. My lean can be as extream as I want and I feel no difference at all. The only place I can feel it is in slow turns or leaving a stop and turning. Once up to even moderate speed, no difference is felt.

OP
OP
lham
Bike
ST1300 08
I settled at 37psi, seems to work best for me, great in the corners, i have 1800 miles & 100 more every commute day. finally a break on rear tires.

Top Bottom