st1300 darkside

Bike
2007 ST 1300
YUP... I am looking for the 45 or 90 angle metal ones... not sure where to get them... I think mine are the short metal ones now, but it is a TIGHT fit with these damn bear paw hands...

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Keel Brothers, on this forum, has the Ariete valve stems. Formerly Two Brothers.
Very nice... and they come in ST silver!! Even better. Thanks a TON!

EDIT: Purchased a pair of silver... wooo hooo!!

EDIT: Must sleep... must make more $ for more farkles (tomorrow)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Side note: the 90 degree stems might interfere with the sensor if ya have ABS. Check for clearance.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Side note: the 90 degree stems might interfere with the sensor if ya have ABS. Check for clearance.
I think the ABS ring will be fine... good call to check... and I will! I ordered, but the silver ones were back-ordered from Wheelie Junkie... looking for one a bit closer to home... will be checking with the local farkle stores after the holiday weekend.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Well... finally had an evening to put on the Hankook... OH my it looks good! Took it out on a ride and ran it up to speed limit x2 with no bumping... just smooth as can be.

I can say that the Hankook went on easier than the Battlax came off. AND for you guys with ABS... the little ABS ring reader is in the way to get the tire back in the slot easily. I let the air out and put a plastic sheet on the brake side to make it a smooth slide and then eased the tire past the ABS ring reader. Once in, it was aired up to 45 psi, splines nice and covered with Molly 60 everything went together just like it should.

A quick 10 mile trip through some twisties and a long straight I now can say it handles very well.

First impressions are that turn in is a bit slow... almost like a slightly under-inflated tire... not bad, but noticeable. The only thing that I do think I will have to get used to (altho not bad at all) is that a road with a lot of crown causes a the bike to want to tip away slightly. If these are the only issues with this tire, I will take it!! I can say that my previous Battlax BT023 was so tippy that it felt a bit scary until I had several hundred miles on it.

I do ride a MC tire out to the chicken strips and while I might take it easy at first, from this first ride it felt well planted in the corners. Our paved road is chip-n-seal and while the MT danced around, the CT does not at all. Also, my driveway is chat and I felt the CT stayed firm and didn't dance much, if any.

Here are some pictures of it mounted... and yes that is a some chat in the tread... photo link

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Mine should be in tomorrow. I will likely mount it in the next day or so.
This was the first ST tire I have changed and looked at Calsci.com for hints what to look for and one thing I did was get some Molly 60 from my Honda dealer... I have had my tires changed at a closer dealer (not Honda) for a few years. I discovered that they had only used std bearing grease on the splines. While this WAS happening about every 5K miles... I have to wonder what damage/wear may have occurred without the Molly... I also noticed that they really buggered up the plastic/rubber dust ring around the spline side during one of the tire changes.

It kinda makes me angry that I take care of my bike so it will last a long time and during some standard service at a dealer, oversights and abuse can potentially negate all these efforts. I don't have a problem wrenching myself... but sometimes it is nice to ride it in and get the service done... especially when the dealer bundles service with parts at reasonable rates.

Anyway, check the splines and apply the Molly... and... many, many happy miles!

James

PS: Blues, Bikes and BBQ is coming soon to NW Arkansas...

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
This was the first ST tire I have changed and looked at Calsci.com for hints what to look for and one thing I did was get some Molly 60 from my Honda dealer... I have had my tires changed at a closer dealer (not Honda) for a few years. I discovered that they had only used std bearing grease on the splines. While this WAS happening about every 5K miles... I have to wonder what damage/wear may have occurred without the Molly... I also noticed that they really buggered up the plastic/rubber dust ring around the spline side during one of the tire changes.

It kinda makes me angry that I take care of my bike so it will last a long time and during some standard service at a dealer, oversights and abuse can potentially negate all these efforts. I don't have a problem wrenching myself... but sometimes it is nice to ride it in and get the service done... especially when the dealer bundles service with parts at reasonable rates.

Anyway, check the splines and apply the Molly... and... many, many happy miles!

James

PS: Blues, Bikes and BBQ is coming soon to NW Arkansas...
Yeah, I have been changing my own tires for years because of this. In MN I am on the tire changing services list as well. I think I have changed about 15 tires so far this year. The only thing is that I am not looking forward to trying to get the 020 off the rear wheel. That thing was a bear to mount.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
The only thing is that I am not looking forward to trying to get the 020 off the rear wheel.

I think the factory approved method includes a saws-all:D
I just had the 020 taken off and a PR2 installed on my spare front wheel. It hope it plays well with the Turanza

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I think the factory approved method includes a saws-all:D
I just had the 020 taken off and a PR2 installed on my spare front wheel. It hope it plays well with the Turanza
My Father-in-law was using my HF changer the other day to take a tractor tire off the rim. He didn't see all the parts for the changer like the handle that acts as a lever for the bead breaker and the parts for securing the tire. I come home from work and the door is open on the pole barn and a box fan set up airing it out. I think, hmm that is strange and look around. Then I see the grinder sitting on the back of the 4wheeler, the tractor tire and a deep cut in the rubber. A few minutes later he walks in. I asked "Did it get a little smokey in here?" He just laughed and said yes. He went on to say that he couldn't get the tire off. Then I grabed the bar in the corner. Broke then bead, and popped off the tire in a matter of 5 minutes with no lube. He just stood there and said. "Well you make that look easy!"

I will have to try and recruit him when it comes time to pull the 020. They are a bear to get on/off. I hope the Hankook is easier, though it isn't like I will be changing many of them.

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
Question for you current DarkSiders,

I know from other threads the reasons you went to the C/T, but what made your decision on the actual brand of CT you purchased and installed. Was it price, limits due to 205/50zr17, cause someone you know is using one and tested it out . Just asking, the 07 DMV rebuild is about finish, and getting ready to be inspected to cert for the road again. I've already decided, its going to the Darkside.. but I'm considering the following tire: ... BFGoodrich Tires g-FORCE T/A KDW 205/50ZR17 due to reviews on cagers, apples and oranges.... its the lateral and wet weather performance that has me interested, with the side wall stability.. I maybe way off base here with this tire, but its what's caught my DarkSide attention...
Thanks

Enjoy..

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I went with what has been used because it has been used. Well I have been trying to get the tire. I should have it tomorrow but that is another story in another thread.

The concern that I would have with other "untested" tires is that there isn't much clearance with the rear tire between the swing arm. We know the Hankook fits. Others in the same size should fit, but ???? Watch the speed rating the Hankooks are Z rated so good to 149+MPH I think. Personally I would watch the tread patern. I haven't looked at the tires that you are considering but some have one type of tread for one side and different on the other side as they try and push the water out and away from the cage. On a cage that is fine but may be an issue on a MC. If all else is equal, give it a shot.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
It really comes down to fitting the swingarm. so far only 2 tires have been found to actually fit, other may but have yet to to be tested. I know the Michelin Exalto that the FJR guys like so much is a tad to wide in the body to work when mounted and tried.

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
Sennister & Gene ,

Thanks.. Are the clearance issues from the sidewall rubbing or the clearance of the center or the tire rubbing on the front portion of the swing arm.. Thanks again..

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Sidewall was my understanding. The Hankook appears to fit but the little nubs are rubbing. That won't hurt anything but it is tight. Others have mentioned that even with the Hankook that you have to deflate the tire to get it on the bike then inflate. Other have mentioned that by using some wax paper or a plastic bag it separates the rubber from the swing arm enough to slip it on. It is a tight fit though.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
LOL
I just plan to cut my hankook tire off when the time comes,,,
As hard as it was getting on i laugh at the guys that say "It will pop off the rim going down the road"" ha ha ha
Mike
Grrr. I was hoping that it would be easier than the 020. Well I doubt that it is possible that it is harder to mount than the 020.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
BFGoodrich Tires g-FORCE T/A KDW 205/50ZR17
I just looked at this tire on Tire Rack. Tread wise it looks like it should be fine if it is accurate. Their user rating is 8.2 where the Hankook that we know fits is $50 cheaper and has a rating of 8.3. So you will have $50 more tied up in it which isn't a huge amount but it is more of a gamble as no one has tried it yet.

Hmm. I already ordered mine but maybe someone should look at doing a group by. I see TireRack has a $80 discount if you buy 4 of them. Basically buy 3 get one free. They would be dry rotted before I got through 4 of them though. If you knew of 3 others in your area that want to go to the Darkside that could work out well. That works out to $70/tire vs $90.

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
I just looked at this tire on Tire Rack. Tread wise it looks like it should be fine if it is accurate. Their user rating is 8.2 where the Hankook that we know fits is $50 cheaper and has a rating of 8.3. So you will have $50 more tied up in it which isn't a huge amount but it is more of a gamble as no one has tried it yet.

Hmm. I already ordered mine but maybe someone should look at doing a group by. I see TireRack has a $80 discount if you buy 4 of them. Basically buy 3 get one free. They would be dry rotted before I got through 4 of them though. If you knew of 3 others in your area that want to go to the Darkside that could work out well. That works out to $70/tire vs $90.
I was looking at what the GTO guys where saying about them and how they drive them.. When you get yours in can you measure the width across. I'm thinking the difference between those that work and don't are they are just over the 205/50 size to be labeled that , but not close enough to be label 215/50's .

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Sidewall width and rub is the known trouble with a Exalto not sure about others that wont work , until tried we just dont know for sure and advertised spec can sometimes be off compared to what the real measurements are

Top Bottom