st1300 darkside

Bike
2006 ST1300
All tires have slightly different profiles- some bulge more than others. I picked the Hankook simply because it had been proven to fit, and the tread pattern looked like it would work well in a motorcycle application. I have no problem going with a different brand, as more options are proven to work. If I ever get the opportunity for more actual touring, I might even consider going with a lower speed rated tire (and keep my speed down), to get a longer tire life. While the Hankook seems to be a great all around tire- good tread life, good cornering, good wet weather traction- if I ever spent most of my miles on the slab with few real corners, I'd be willing to give up a little cornering grip for tire life.

Jim

Rineyville, KY (summer) Hernando Beach, FL (winter
I noticed that I am coming out of the curves on the way home at the same speed as I did with the OEM tire. However, I don't notice my feet dragging (peg lowers) as I did with the OEM tire. Perhaps when the CT is up on its edge, the back of the bike rises a bit due to the larger circumference on that section of the tire as compared to a MT. I am running the Hankook like others but at 40 psi. Just haven't gotten around to lowering the pressure yet.

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
I've seen people say they've ridden in the rain and others that say no problems with lean. But looking at the Hankooks, the most agressive tread is in the middle. It seems like the shoulders of the tire would behave more like slicks when leaning in a corner. So, I'm not surprised that they handle corners well when dry, but how far can you lean when the road is wet? And for those who take to the twisties, do you notice any excessive wear on the tire shoulders?

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I've seen people say they've ridden in the rain and others that say no problems with lean. But looking at the Hankooks, the most agressive tread is in the middle. It seems like the shoulders of the tire would behave more like slicks when leaning in a corner. So, I'm not surprised that they handle corners well when dry, but how far can you lean when the road is wet? And for those who take to the twisties, do you notice any excessive wear on the tire shoulders?
I haven't ridden in the rain yet. Maybe today if it starts here pretty soon but the tire does have as good of siiping as a MC tire on the sides. You have to keep in mind that the profile of the tire doesn't hold up totally square as you are cornering. I can feel the tire deflecting a little and the corner gets squeezed down. Now I am only at about 50 miles on the new tire so I am not pushing it hard but from what I have read you will wear the corner off of the tire some as it breaks in. It really comes down to how you traditionally wear out tires. While I would love to say that I wear out the sides of the tires, in all honesty with the riding I do that it rarely the case. In all the tires I have put on the two STs that I have, I have only wore out the left side of the tire once. Every other tire has been squared off to the point where the middle is wore out. This is why I am a good candidate for a CT in my eyes. The one time that I wore out the side of the tire I was commuting a different route because of road construction. While I can still go that way I don't most days because of time.

From talking to others the interesting point I have read is that they use more of the front tire as they are leaning more. That the rear tire is sticking better than the front.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I rode a LOT in the rain this summer (daily commuting, 75 miles round trip) and the Hankook grips well in the rain. I don't corner as hard in the rain with it as on a dry road...but I wouldn't with a MC tire either. I had no problem going a normal speed in the corners though even in very heavy rain.

Jim

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
It seems like the shoulders of the tire would behave more like slicks when leaning in a corner.

I just looked at my 3 rear tires I have used on my ST and they all have much less grooves per inch that the Hankook tires. With just this observation I would assume that the ct would be as good or better that the MT in rain. now just have put 4 hours on wet roads a few weekends back. I will say that do as good as any MT tire I have had on the ST.. I was able to power threw corners better and with more confidence than I ever could have with the BT020. This is just my personal observation!

Top Bottom