ST1300 Front Wheel Bearings

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
It must goes fast to this state of deterioration when the cage is coming apart, no subtile transition, one day they are a bit noisy and the next day they are howling death.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I can’t even imagine how folks ride on those without knowing the bearings are toast.
My sentiments exactly... those rigs must wiggle like a lamb's tail... :oops:

My GF's NT700VA had a worn front wheel bearing (barely clicking when trying to wiggle the unladen wheel), scared the crap outta me right in the first turn... "DANG! IT MOVED!!" :biggrin:
Turned out the old ones were pattern parts + the PO was a fan of pressure washers... bad combo...

I check them bearings on every occasion the wheels come off, they're out if only the slightest resistance or roughness can be felt...

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
What lead you to check them.
Where they noisy?
Front wheel wobble?
Tire change time?
I was changing the tire and found this. There was no noise that I could tell or no wobble yet. I check the bearing for smoothness every time the wheels are removed.

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
My sentiments exactly... those rigs must wiggle like a lamb's tail... :oops:

My GF's NT700VA had a worn front wheel bearing (barely clicking when trying to wiggle the unladen wheel), scared the crap outta me right in the first turn... "DANG! IT MOVED!!" :biggrin:
Turned out the old ones were pattern parts + the PO was a fan of pressure washers... bad combo...

I check them bearings on every occasion the wheels come off, they're out if only the slightest resistance or roughness can be felt...
There was no noticeable movement in the wheel prior to removing it. All wheel bearings are checked every time I remove the wheels.

I had a front bearing that was suspect. A faint steady howl would occur at 55-60 mph and not changing with engine RPM change. New rubber last Nov and with wheel off could feel a very slight studder on one front bearing. Told the shop new rubber and bearings, and the howl was gone. Bearings are a sealed oil bearing and shop saw a slight oil seep on the questionable bearing on the inside. The side you cannot see until removed. Check them closely at rubber changes.

The pictured bearing must have been screaming :eek:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
It is the race cage that has gone, the ball bearings look fine !

In the days before race cages were commonplace, I'd regularly change the bearings in my bicycle bottom bracket. 11 balls would fit snugly. When one broke - which they often did in the late 60s - it would leave a gap which the other bearings would spread out and fill. No wobble or anything like that. Just an occasional loud knock.

But I bet that bearing has been kept in line with the clamped spacer. Are there any score marks on the outside of the spacer ?
I always assumed that there would be some sensation when the bearing collapsed. Its interesting that you didn't feel anything.

My first ever solo bike after 20 years away from biking the ST 1100, came with a built in twitch when cornering. A bit like leaning beyond the corner of a squared off tyre. When I took the bearings out, they felt fine, but new bearings cured the problem.

Of course that could have been an incorrectly installed wheel, sliding an its axle. But I didn't know that was possible at the time.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
The rear wheel bearings on my 83 V45 Interceptor disintegrated like that during a Cape Cod tour back in the late 80s. It came on suddenly without much warning. Trying to find bearings from a motorcycle shop at 4pm on a Saturday around Taunton wasn't easy.

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well good thing I had another wheel, went to replace the bearings on this front wheel and the one side only the outer race was left and it will be a bugger to get the remaining part out.

My recommendation is to replace your wheel bearings before they get like this.

PXL_20230603_210105793.jpg

Top Bottom