dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My tip jar is full of bearings that look like that :rofl1:
I can’t even imagine how folks ride on those without knowing the bearings are toast.
You got your monies worth out of those.
I can't imagine how people can't hear or feel bearings worn like that. Mike says they went bad since the last check. There's a right way and wrong way to check them. With the wheel out of the bike lightly rest a finger tip on the race and move the bearing back and forth without pressing the bearing race down or inwards. Any gritty or notchy feel, or a catch, is trouble. Let the race 'float' as much as possible as you move it back and forth. Pressing down or into the bearing can take up play and fool you.

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
Well good thing I had another wheel, went to replace the bearings on this front wheel and the one side only the outer race was left and it will be a bugger to get the remaining part out.

PXL_20230603_210105793.jpg
An easy way to get it out is weld a bead all the way around on the inside of the race and it will almost fall out

I had a rear bearing on my Valkyrie grenade like that and weld itself to the wheel. I could NOT get it out. I took it to a local machine shop. It was literally a 30 second job for them.

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
An easy way to get it out is weld a bead all the way around on the inside of the race and it will almost fall out
I was able to remove the race off the wheel using the weld a bead onto the race. My race split and I had to weld a second set of beads onto the back half. I tried to weld a washer that fit on top of the race first but I could not get enough penetration on the race.

PXL_20230605_200719221.jpg

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I see bearings like this on low a mileage bikes, I think pressure washers.
I’ve never taken out my pressure washer to wash my bikes and never will.
Also on the ST, I make sure I top up the front bearing seals with marine grade grease as this is the first line of defence for keeping dirt and water out of the bearings.
Choose a grease with excellent resistance to water contamination for the seals.
I‘ve never repacked wheel bearings on motorcycles before, need to research what grease is best for motorcycle wheel bearings.

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
cant tell from your pictures but the weld should be a continues bead in the race where the balls run or in the center of the race if a roller bearing.

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
When I see bearings like this on low a mileage bikes, I think pressure washers.
I’ve never taken out my pressure washer to wash my bikes and never will.
Also on the ST, I make sure I top up the front bearing seals with marine grade grease as this is the first line of defence for keeping dirt and water out of the bearings.
Choose a grease with excellent resistance to water contamination for the seals.
I‘ve never repacked wheel bearings on motorcycles before, need to research what grease is best for motorcycle wheel bearings.
The front and rear wheel bearings are sealed on both sides. The only bearings you can repack would be the flange bearings as they are open on the inside. I replaced my flange bearings with sealed bearings. I have never used a high pressure hose on my ST, I mostly just take a damp rag and wipe the bike down.

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
cant tell from your pictures but the weld should be a continues bead in the race where the balls run or in the center of the race if a roller bearing.
I tried to weld a washer on first, which did not work and then ran two beads on opposite sides. The welding beads on the races works great.

Top Bottom