Article [13] ST1300 - Fuel Pump Circuit - Fault Diagnosis

There is no indication the bike has HISS.
I did test it in right at turn-on. I hooked up the meter, then tuned it on.
I'm looking for bad earths, but haven't really found any except at the fuel pump, where the connector was corroded.
I'm still deep into this. I did confirm that the bk/wh wires at the coils do indeed get 12v when I turn it on. It did sit for a while, and there is evidence of mice. But I don't see any chewed wires. I have the ecu out now (I told you I'm in deep) but without the specialized wire harness, don't know of any tests other than the ground/ 12v test in the manual. I'm trying to figure out a way to make that test without the test harness.
I am thinking that the ecu is not letting the bike start. But whether it's because of a bad signal from some sensor, or the ecu being bad, I really don't know.
Is there a set of tests than can be done, like with some other vehicles, such as lookinf for resistance readings, voltage, etc when one does different things?

I can't read the story on the advrider site because I don't have an account. Without knowing what is written there, my first question is- Are there any fault codes? If so, what are they?

My third question is- Did this motorcycle sit unused for any length of time? If it did, consider looking for damaged wires under the throttle bodies. These wires may have been chewed on by mice. If they have, one or more injector wires may be damaged rendering the injectors inoperative. If the injectors are inoperative, the ECM disables the fuel pump.
I just dug out the air cleaner, and looked under the housing. Actually, I didn't have to look that far. Plenty of mouse damage under the housing, and several injector wires have been chewed on.
I used the shop-vac on it, cleaned it up, but I definitely need a new aircleaner- it's been chewed on the inside. I also need to closely inspect those wires. Several will have to be replaced.
20220715_172045.jpg20220715_172130.jpg
20220715_173742.jpg

Plenty of mouse damage under the housing, and several injector wires have been chewed on.
Mice damage is what I suspected, unfortunately. This is why the ECM has disabled the fuel pump. At least you know now.

If there are many damaged wires, you might consider just replacing the sub-harness instead of attempting to repair individual wires.

No ST1300's originally sold in North America, regardless of year, are equipped with the HISS system.

Ok, it's been a while since I posted, but thanks everyone. I replaced the harness with a good one, and what a wonderful sound when the fuel pump came on with the ignition on. It started right up, too. Then it was a long time to put all the Tupperware back on. I had removed way more than I needed, because I didn't know what I needed to get to. I rode it for the first time today, about 10 miles. It's a nice bike. I'll take it to Oregon in a week or two- at least that is the plan.

Back
Top Bottom