ST1300 heat issues

I am contemplating buying a used ST1300 and have read about the excessive heat generated. I have read some posts that state that it's unbearable and makes not only the frame but also the rear of the tank near where you sit being such that it will bake you. What I would like to know is "how unbearable is it, and ways to get around it". I have ridden for over 40 years and have never had to deal with an issue such as this, and am not sure I want to deal with it. I have owned several Hondas and have never had a mechanical issue and think that they are some of the most well built and thought out motorcycles out there, but this might be a deal breaker. I would like to hear from those who actually own the bike and what their thoughts are regarding this issue. Thanks!

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I've had my current1300 and one before that for 7 years, and over 100,000 miles, and never understood the heat issue. I can't say that I have ever noticed any undue heat on my legs. I do notice that the seat gets a little warm, but not uncomfortable. I do wear Aerostich overpants whenever I drive and maybe that protects me a bit. Others have complained a lot about it, and have tried different modifications. I'm sure some will comment here.

Bike
04 ST1300
I am contemplating buying a used ST1300 and have read about the excessive heat generated. I have read some posts that state that it's unbearable and makes not only the frame but also the rear of the tank near where you sit being such that it will bake you. What I would like to know is "how unbearable is it, and ways to get around it". I have ridden for over 40 years and have never had to deal with an issue such as this, and am not sure I want to deal with it. I have owned several Hondas and have never had a mechanical issue and think that they are some of the most well built and thought out motorcycles out there, but this might be a deal breaker. I would like to hear from those who actually own the bike and what their thoughts are regarding this issue. Thanks!
Owned an ST13 for about seven years and have driven on some very hot days almost all day. The heat issue is over blown. I do feel some heat on the left foot but only in very slow traffic (below 15 mph). I never felt I was going to get baked by the tank. Hope this helps

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Depends on the bike. I've had two ST13's. No issue on the first, I did feel some one my calf once, moved foot, it's gone. The second ST, I definetly feel heat in the top of the summer. Tank gets really warm when it's low on fuel. Does it stop me from riding to work or on 12 hour days when I want to go ona trip... nope. I've taken it across Kansas on a 100° day. But it's definitely warmer then the first steed I owned.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Welcome to the forum.
Good luck with your ST search.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I have a 2012 ST 1300, and have never thought that there is any heat problem at all with this motorcycle. Temperature-wise, it's much the same as my 2001 ST 1100 - nothing objectionable at all unless you are stuck in a massive traffic jam on a hot day.

Over the years, I've seen posts from people who complain of a heat problem, and then go to great lengths (adding insulation, etc.) to try and mitigate the problem. My guess is that at some point, these motorcycles (belonging to owners who complain about heat) have perhaps lost a few foam parts that direct airflow, or someone has installed a farkle that displaces the heat protection mat under the airbox, or some other similar disruption has taken place that has interfered with the free flow of air over the engine and out the sides of the bike or out underneath the seat.

Anyway, if you live in NC, I wouldn't worry too much about heat. Maybe you might need to be more cautious and do a bit more due diligence if you lived in Dubai. :)

Michael

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
If a ST1300 is that hot....it is not tuned properly. There is really no heat issue in my opinion..! Been riding for almost 40 years...and this is the sweetest bike out there. Balance your throttle bodies and the heat is not there.

Todd

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If a ST1300 is that hot....it is not tuned properly. There is really no heat issue in my opinion..! Been riding for almost 40 years...and this is the sweetest bike out there. Balance your throttle bodies and the heat is not there.

Todd
You mean have someone balance your throttle bodies (starter valves) :rofl1:

I have a 07 and I have never noticed anything abnormal about the heat. I read similar things when I was looking but I think it’s over blown.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Jeans and sneakers...... it’s hot and perhaps unbearable. In riding gear, not.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I had my 2007 ST1300 for five years and engine heat never bothered me. I live in the PNW, so in the winter any heat from the engine would actually be welcomed big time :) But even on our warm (90's) days where I ride in my jeans, it wasn't a big deal.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
I've had an 07 and 08 and have never really been bothered by engine heat. Sure, there is heat, but personal tolerance varies.

Assuming the ST1300 has 120 HP, and 60% of the input fuel is wasted to heat, 45HP = 33.5kW=120,000 BTU/hr.

That's like sitting in front of the main air stack of your home furnace- Considering this, the bike does pretty good at keeping heat away!

Last edited:

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I clicked on this thread just to suggest Mr. Mellow create a special "heat" forum for this topic. There already is a forum thread!! HAHA.

My bike's heat is not too much, not too little, it's just right................

Truthfully, it helps to wear tall loose boots in the summer, Engineer type, to keep the engine output air moving on by your lower legs and ankles. But the bikes's no worse than many and a lot more fun for me to ride than any.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
A few months back, I rode my bike from California to Arizona, through the Mojave Desert, Palm Springs, and Phoenix, with temps of 113 degrees plus, wearing blue jeans, sneakers, and a T-shirt, and with the exception of the Sunlight beating down on me, the temp gauges on the bike never read more than 90 degrees while riding. And I was tooling along at 80 mph plus for 250 miles at a time without stopping. I've been known to ride my bike with shorts, sneakers and ankle high socks etc. As stated in a prior comment, keep the bike in good tune, with proper oil, and don't remove any body panels, drill holes, or stuff aluminum foil under the tank or bodywork, or you WILL cause more heat, and possibly damage the wire harness or parts.
I've had several folks ride in complaining about heat, and then after I sorted out their bike, on average, the heat was lowered approximately 40 degrees or more.
These bikes are strong and reliable when taken care of.....heck, all these sissy's who complain about heat (112 degrees near frame) would cry like a baby on an air cooled Harley Davidson putting off over 200 degrees in close proximity to the boy's :rofl1:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Jeans and sneakers...... it’s hot and perhaps unbearable. In riding gear, not.
I concur.
Many of the complaints of heat that I have read about were by people who were not wearing protective riding gear.
What insulates you from the cold also insulates you from the heat.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I had my 2007 ST1300 for five years and engine heat never bothered me. I live in the PNW, so in the winter any heat from the engine would actually be welcomed big time :) But even on our warm (90's) days where I ride in my jeans, it wasn't a big deal.
Welcome to the forum
I agree with mortenk. My 07-13 doesn't have any issues or get any hotter through the tank than a few inline 4s i've owned

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Welcome to the forum!

Heat? Yeah, during my evening commutes in the late Spring, Summer and early Fall, I'll have the gas tank bubbling (happens on both '10 & '12 and happened on my '04#2 before I sold it) by the time I get to the gas station, that after Lane Splitting 15 to 25 miles straight. That means riding in 85F or higher temps at a speed of about 25 to 40 mph. And trust me, that pavement gets hot, especially with all the cages creating more heat! :eek:

Most here get to ride their bikes in the open air, on mostly traffic free settings. That doesn't happen here and for the last 14.5 years and over 360,000 miles on these bikes, I can tell you, yes, there is some heat from them. BUT, As stated, it's not that bad and keeping them tuned helps a lot!

So don't let "rumors" detour you from buying one of the best bikes ever built. But when you are looking, make sure they have a good history of maintenance!

I’ve heard similar complaints about heat on other big bikes, Kawasaki put a heat management system on the Voyager a few years ago. Proper gear definitely helps! If you get stuck in traffic and the fan comes on you will feel the heat for sure! Most of the year here in NC the heat actually feels pretty good and with the wind protection it extends the riding season to year round. I don’t usually like to ride much in the extreme heat here because the humidity makes it hard to breathe.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I've had two ST1300s and am hot natured. I fixed the heat problem by getting a different bike. Like I said, I'm hot natured and live in Florida. I tried most of the things that have been mentioned here on the forum. I got the most relief from aftermarket pipes without catalytic converters right under my feet and a bead rider.

Never noticed the heat when riding in NC, but that is mostly in the fall. If you are bothered by heat I would keep looking. The heat is real, it's just some people aren't bothered by heat.

Top Bottom