ST1300 heat issues

Bike
2006 ST1300 basic bl
Hey, STnewbie,

I'm an " STnewbie", too!! Just got this '06 ST1300 a couple of months back. I'm in ATL and have been up into western NC the past several weekends on it trying to impress my buddies. We rode 300+ last Sat. Granted, it's not "hot" yet, and WNC is not the hottest place to ride, Highlands, Cashiers, Rosman, BRP, etc, but I have never experienced any heat from the engine. I wear ATGATT; long sleeve shirt, hard armor, armored jacket, airbag vest, and HI-VIZ vest, plus jeans, hard knee guards, and armored pants. I may switch to the "net" gear, jacket and pants, when it gets hot down here, but that's just for the commute ride.

My bike has the black foam rubber "flairs" around the mirrors and legs, not sure if that's standard or not, or if it makes any difference. I do know that the radiators on my BMW K1200RS were FULL of detritus when I got it with 30K several years back. When I flushed the rads with HP air and water as much as possible it really helped the heat on that bike. Shine a flashlight thru the radiator and see what you find. See if it has the "flairs". Heat is not something I've noticed on this bike, except on the grips., and that is adjustable or killed.

OP
OP
Thanks to all who have posted, I definitely appreciate the input. I rode it tonight and most definitely noticed the heat in the immediate area just rear of the fairing, on both sides (where my knees were). Probably around 20 degrees warmer than the surrounding air, not unbearable but most definitely noticed it (not necessarily engine overheating, just heat generated by the engine escaping the fairing). With that being said, the bike was beautiful and rode fantastic, and, it did not bother me enough to not buy it. I am the proud owner of an 07' with 28k on the odometer. It did have some sort of leak on the right side near the bottom of the cylinders (saw it by shining my light on my phone inside the lower opening of the fairing). In looking through some posts on the subject of leaks, it appears that it could be a coolant leak/gasket leak. Any suggestions on what it might be, and possible fixes/costs associated? I am pretty stoked though as I just moved to NC (phenomenal riding potential) from Florida (terrible riding--straight roads and flat terrain). Thanks again for all your input.

OP
OP
I've had two ST1300s and am hot natured. I fixed the heat problem by getting a different bike. Like I said, I'm hot natured and live in Florida. I tried most of the things that have been mentioned here on the forum. I got the most relief from aftermarket pipes without catalytic converters right under my feet and a bead rider.

Never noticed the heat when riding in NC, but that is mostly in the fall. If you are bothered by heat I would keep looking. The heat is real, it's just some people aren't bothered by heat.
You would not happen to be known by another name "Swampy", and associated with the annual Devils Creek DDS run would you? I did DC 2018 and the name sounds familiar?

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
……….. If you are bothered by heat I would keep looking. The heat is real, it's just some people aren't bothered by heat.
And others are bothered easily. Check the local sale ads. Ask to take one for a test ride and find out for yourself.

OP
OP
I've had two ST1300s and am hot natured. I fixed the heat problem by getting a different bike. Like I said, I'm hot natured and live in Florida. I tried most of the things that have been mentioned here on the forum. I got the most relief from aftermarket pipes without catalytic converters right under my feet and a bead rider.

Never noticed the heat when riding in NC, but that is mostly in the fall. If you are bothered by heat I would keep looking. The heat is real, it's just some people aren't bothered by heat.
You would not happen to be known by another name "Swampy", and associated with the annual Devils Creek DDS run would you? I did DC 2018 and the name sounds familiar?

OP
OP
Sorry, that reply was meant for "Skunkape", replied by mistake.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks to all who have posted, I definitely appreciate the input. I rode it tonight and most definitely noticed the heat in the immediate area just rear of the fairing, on both sides (where my knees were). Probably around 20 degrees warmer than the surrounding air, not unbearable but most definitely noticed it (not necessarily engine overheating, just heat generated by the engine escaping the fairing). With that being said, the bike was beautiful and rode fantastic, and, it did not bother me enough to not buy it. I am the proud owner of an 07' with 28k on the odometer. It did have some sort of leak on the right side near the bottom of the cylinders (saw it by shining my light on my phone inside the lower opening of the fairing). In looking through some posts on the subject of leaks, it appears that it could be a coolant leak/gasket leak. Any suggestions on what it might be, and possible fixes/costs associated? I am pretty stoked though as I just moved to NC (phenomenal riding potential) from Florida (terrible riding--straight roads and flat terrain). Thanks again for all your input.
Coolant leak? Fix is free......snug up the numerous hose clamps and get familiar with your new bike.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Congrats on your '07 ST.

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
I had the heat issue on mine, do a search of the forum. Best thing to do is to take a good test ride on one to see if it has the issue or not. I had mine tuned etc., changed types of oil etc. and was still hot. Good luck on your search.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Nope, not me, don't even know where or what that is. Congrats and enjoy your new bike.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I noticed the heat when I owned both an ST1100 and ST1300. The 1300 is hotter, but I've learned to live with it. Many big bikes have heat issues; the ST1300 is definitely not alone in that regard. What makes the biggest difference for me is wearing the right gear. With one pair of riding pants I have (which are loose around the legs), I notice the heat quite a bit. With those I wear "Heat Out" under garments which helps a lot. With the other pair (which are tighter around the legs), I hardly notice the heat. Also, in the cooler weather, the heat is welcome. When it's over 90 degrees, I mostly ride my other bike (2017 naked SV650), so not an issue for me.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300
Free-flowing aftermarket pipes also help a lot. With my Staintunes, the heat issue is greatly reduced so as to be a non-issue. Plus you get an aggressive snarl when you roll on the throttle.

Tommy P
If a ST1300 is that hot....it is not tuned properly. There is really no heat issue in my opinion..! Been riding for almost 40 years...and this is the sweetest bike out there. Balance your throttle bodies and the heat is not there.

Todd
Does the starter valve adjustment AKA TB sync help minimize the heat across the board or just at idle?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Tommy P

Does the starter valve adjustment AKA TB sync help minimize the heat across the board or just at idle?
Tommy, I just did the adjustment on Todd's bike for him, and it will help with the heat across the board. When the adjustment is off, it causes the engine to run hotter etc.
If you are comfortable with tools, its not that hard of a job, and all you will need are a few common tools, a JIS screwdriver, and a Morgan Carb Pro to get the job done.
You'll be rewarded with not only less heat, but better MPG and smoother running.
PM me if you have any other questions, or need assistance.
Igofar

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My bike has the black foam rubber "flairs" around the mirrors and legs, not sure if that's standard or not, or if it makes any difference. ...
Having the "Air Deflectors" do make a big difference. Without them even my legs will get toasty when moving along in slow traffic for an extended length of time.

That said, it would be great to take my 2010 to Larry and see what he can do better than me (which would probably be 75% better than me) with the throttle syncs, but I have a feeling in my traffic situation, there will still be heat!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Having the "Air Deflectors" do make a big difference. Without them even my legs will get toasty when moving along in slow traffic for an extended length of time.

That said, it would be great to take my 2010 to Larry and see what he can do better than me (which would probably be 75% better than me) with the throttle syncs, but I have a feeling in my traffic situation, there will still be heat!
I hear ya Bob, I was commuting 51 miles each way when I was working, and it would take me almost 2 hours to get to and from work. I found the Heat off the pavement, the sun, and off the cars was worse than the heat from the bike when putting along at 25 mph on 90 degree days, however, I was able to dial the bike(s) in to make it better. :shrug2:

Tommy, I just did the adjustment on Todd's bike for him, and it will help with the heat across the board. When the adjustment is off, it causes the engine to run hotter etc.
If you are comfortable with tools, its not that hard of a job, and all you will need are a few common tools, a JIS screwdriver, and a Morgan Carb Pro to get the job done.
You'll be rewarded with not only less heat, but better MPG and smoother running.
Igofar

Igofar
That is great news! Thanks Igofar for the quick and thorough response. I just bought my first ST (2004 ABS) a few months ago and as summer approaches here in Central Florida the heat off that engine is becoming a serious distraction. Other than that she's a fine machine and a pleasure to ride.

I've owned well over 70 motorcycles and I gotta tell you this ST 1300 I have is the hottest ride in motorcycle I've ever had. The only other bikes that stand out in my mind that were hotter than hell Was a BMW R100 Airhead with full fairings And A Suzuki RE5 Rotary Now look that Summer's coming To Houston today was 86゚ and my legs were burning. I ride at 21 miles on the beltway to work and even the gas tank was really Hot. I've gotta do some work to get Something else that Will not incinerate my legs. I read where people say it's a not a Hot riding bike and if it's below 80 it's not too badd and when it's cold it's wonderful. I wrote a Honda Valkerie To West Texas And that was like riding a Weber barbecue Grill. I took some temperature Readings when I got home the Frame next to the foot peg was over 120゚

Attachments

I've owned well over 70 motorcycles and I gotta tell you this ST 1300 I have is the hottest ride in motorcycle I've ever had. The only other bikes that stand out in my mind that were hotter than hell Was a BMW R100 Airhead with full fairings And A Suzuki RE5 Rotary Now look that Summer's coming To Houston today was 86゚ and my legs were burning. I ride at 21 miles on the beltway to work and even the gas tank was really Hot. I've gotta do some work to get Something else that Will not incinerate my legs. I read where people say it's a not a Hot riding bike and if it's below 80 it's not too badd and when it's cold it's wonderful. I wrote a Honda Valkerie To West Texas And that was like riding a Weber barbecue Grill. I took some temperature Readings when I got home the Frame next to the foot peg was over 120゚
I just realized the pictures little blurry I didn't have my glasses on When I took the pictures sorry

Top Bottom