ST1300 heat issues

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I found the Heat off the pavement, the sun, and off the cars was worse than the heat from the bike when putting along at 25 mph on 90 degree days...
I've only ridden the ST in approx 23C (73F) so far. I sweated so much that it took a day for my textiles to dry....

... Really should have removed the thermal liners out of the textiles before wearing them. Had nothing to do with the bike. More to do with my bikes idiot rider wearing 3 layers of clothes...

Checkout the ST1300 articles for ways to lower the temperature ! Welcome to the forum from Cornwall UK!
I've gotten some great information from the website lot of smart people post well documented Tech articles. Looking at ways to mitigate the heat... Thank you for the reply

I'm having a lot of fun with my 03 1300 but here in AZ when it gets around 100 degrees or more and you're on the freeway or stuck in traffic my legs get very hot. But I have highway pegs that help and I wear shorts which doesn't help any.

I'm having a lot of fun with my 03 1300 but here in AZ when it gets around 100 degrees or more and you're on the freeway or stuck in traffic my legs get very hot. But I have highway pegs that help and I wear shorts which doesn't help any.
I live in Houston and I can identify with heat. The ST In the summer is like riding a barbecue grill. I can imagine how The Honda engineers did not design better cooling into the Bike. I'm selling mine I don't wanna deal with the heat. I rode in 86゚ weather in the frame was well over a 120゚ I checked with a thermometer. The storage compartment where you put your phone wallet except for a was over a 100゚ I don't think it's worth while spending all the time to mitigate to heat but I like the way the bike rides AI don't like these screaming Detroit Diesel sound but the low speed maneuverability is a really excellent a plus in Houston

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Welcome to the forum.
The Phx heat can make the summertime rides a bit uncomfortable.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I've only ridden the ST in approx 23C (73F) so far. I sweated so much that it took a day for my textiles to dry....

... Really should have removed the thermal liners out of the textiles before wearing them. Had nothing to do with the bike. More to do with my bikes idiot rider wearing 3 layers of clothes...
Funnily enough I have started wearing the liners in my textile suit whenever I ride the 13, as I find the extra insulation makes for less heat from the bike.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I have never experienced any heat problems on my ST 1300. Possibly this is because the air temperature in Canada doesn't often rise above 80°F, but I think more likely it is due to the following 3 reasons:

1) I wear leathers, and they provide pretty good insulation against "momentary" heat increases, such as what would be encountered at traffic lights or stop and go traffic.

2) I took the bike apart (removed the throttle bodies) and made sure that the black rubber heat mat was properly positioned - most especially aft of the engine, where it disappears below the frame. I didn't do this because of heat problems, I just did it as part of the re-assembly work after fixing some coolant hoses.

3) I have the OEM Honda wind deflectors installed on either side of the motorcycle. I also have these installed on my ST 1100. I think they do a remarkable job of improving hot air extraction from the vent openings at the side of the motorcycle.

I kinda-sorta suspect that owners who are experiencing heat problems might have dirty radiators (that would reduce air flow over the engine, and reduce heat transfer out of the coolant), poorly performing fans, and/or possibly improperly positioned rubber heat mats below the throttle bodies.

Michael

Warming oven, works good for lunch on road trips! :burger: :food1: :pie1:
Not in Texas it was well over a 100 in less than 20 miles. Consistently in the summer it'll be 95 to a 105゚ Degrees burning hate is not something you want more of especially when The humidity is 70 to 85%

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Not in Texas it was well over a 100 in less than 20 miles.
Back in the days when the ST was new to me, I picked up quarters in the pocket to pay a toll. I was wearing gloves but of course the toll booth lady wasn't. Couldn't pick up all the choice words she had for me through my ear plugs, but it sure didn't sound very pleasant. Didn't do that again!

Top Bottom