ST1300 LED Headlight Bulbs?

Since the Cougar 20K LM bulbs were sold out, I ordered (and received) the 18K LM bulbs. They look . . . identical and I don't think I'll notice the missing 2K of Lumens!

Have you been happy with these? Every time I check the 20k are still sold out...

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Still awaiting installation, but . . . I have every expectation that they will be more than adequate for the task. :thumb:
When they're up and running, I'll post results at:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/transforming-igofars-st1300-to-shueys.186024/

Shuey
I went ahead and ordered a set of these. I have been trying to swap them out as my switchback LEDs really make the headlights look dingy. However, my hands are just too big to fit in and pinch the side releases on the existing bulbs. If you figure out a way to do that, I am near Orlando...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
my switchback LEDs really make the headlights look dingy.
I remember swapping out my car's 7" sealed beams with Cibié Z beams (illegal in CA at the time). They made stock sealed beams look near-amber in comparison.

One of the reasons they were yet to be DOT approved (so illegal) was that they weren't sealed units. Cibié did a workaround where the lens and reflector were a sealed unit and the bulb fit in to a transparent recess in the rear of the unit. I think DOT still had a problem with the pattern but I don't remember. spiderman302 might.

When I installed clear lenses and switchbacks in my 1300 I saw the same thing — the 55/60W halogens looked a little amber. Putting in a set of recommended G2s fixed that. I put one in to compare it with the halogen upgrade. Halogens had to go.

I've been tempted to up grade to a newer bulb but a) these work well and b) getting to and operating the spring bail was a bear. I didn't remove anything. That probably would have helped.

The position bulbs were swapped out for amber bulbs (only because I never found yellow bulbs) for a bit of contrast. I like the look but yellow would be better.

Reactions: Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
The position bulbs were swapped out for amber bulbs (only because I never found yellow bulbs) for a bit of contrast. I like the look but yellow would be better.
I did all white LED's to match the f2 led headlight bulbs, but agree that a yellow/amber/orange position bulb, matching the color of the OEM mirror running lights would look decent.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I remember swapping out my car's 7" sealed beams with Cibié Z beams (illegal in CA at the time). They made stock sealed beams look near-amber in comparison.

One of the reasons they were yet to be DOT approved (so illegal) was that they weren't sealed units. Cibié did a workaround where the lens and reflector were a sealed unit and the bulb fit in to a transparent recess in the rear of the unit. I think DOT still had a problem with the pattern but I don't remember. spiderman302 might.

When I installed clear lenses and switchbacks in my 1300 I saw the same thing — the 55/60W halogens looked a little amber. Putting in a set of recommended G2s fixed that. I put one in to compare it with the halogen upgrade. Halogens had to go.

I've been tempted to up grade to a newer bulb but a) these work well and b) getting to and operating the spring bail was a bear. I didn't remove anything. That probably would have helped.

Any chance you have a picture of your set up?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I bought a set of color changeable 194 bulbs to replace the white LED marker bulbs in STella and see if I liked having something yellow.
I just haven't got around to installing them yet so I can't tell you how they will look.

1711383405089.png

Ordered up a pair of the 18k bulbs today and some 6500k 194 bulbs for the marker lights as well as a pair of the Zmoon fogs. I'll report back once I get it put together.

Last edited:
Top Bottom