ST1300 lighting project done, for now...

Bike
2003 ST1300
I've been chipping away at improving the stock lighting on my ST1300 since I got it a year ago. A few things I've done:

* LED replacements of all the stock incandescent bulbs
* Rear brake bulbs replaced with LED strobe bulbs ( although these cast a red glow on to the license plate - I need to fix with the addition of a white license plate light )
* Clear lense conversion and switchback for front signals and running lights.
* Fork mounted always-on driving lights
* Fork mounted LED strips that are white running lights, then amber for turn signals. These are visible from the front, and the side of the bike. Hoping they increase bike visibility from the side.
* Red LED strips mounted under the pillion handles, always-on in the hopes it increases visibility from the side of the bike.
* Red LED strips mounted on the rear box mount, always-on and not tied to the brake in any way.

All in all, I'm happy with the improvements and hope they give me a leg up on visibility during my daily California freeway lane-splitting commute.

As always, a huge thank you to this forum, I would never have attempted any of this without the help of so many of you, I appreciate it so much. A special thank you to @SMSW who has taught me so much about how bike electrics work, and has put up with many silly questions from me.

Stay safe out there, everyone!

Attachments

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
Good job! I did all of mine too. You can put white flashing LEDs in your brake lights instead of the red. That will simplify your tag light issue. No need to mount another light. What type fork lights did you install & price? Did you have to take the L/R faring off to access the marker bulbs? The only ones I haven't changed yet.
Ride safe and stay well!

OP
OP
HondaInTheSun
Bike
2003 ST1300
Well done!
I love all the lighting upgrades.
You've given me some ideas.
Don't hesitate to let me know if you have questions about the parts I used for any of it, Jim, I'm happy to help if I can. Almost everything ( if not all of it ) was from Amazon and I can provide links.

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
Don't hesitate to let me know if you have questions about the parts I used for any of it, Jim, I'm happy to help if I can. Almost everything ( if not all of it ) was from Amazon and I can provide links.
What type fork lights did you install & price? Did you have to take the L/R faring off to access the marker bulbs?

OP
OP
HondaInTheSun
Bike
2003 ST1300
What type fork lights did you install & price? Did you have to take the L/R faring off to access the marker bulbs?
The LED fork spotlights are these ( $34.99 ):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018FM5D0Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The LED strip fork running / signal light are these ( $12.99 ):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8YZ0GU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@Obo these have double sided tape on them, but I also zip tied them at the top in case it fails.

CELarson

Looking forward to my next ride....
Site Supporter
Fork mounted always-on driving lights
What were the lights and mounting for these lights.

I put on a Whelen Ion T Series Linear Super LED as flasher mounted under the luggage rack. Tied it into the break so it goes off when the break is pulled. Really bright in the day and eve brighter in the early morning. If I had a top box, I would have mounted it higher.

Bike
ST1300@2009
Nice results, congrats!

I've added some Rigid Industries LED spots in my ST1300, pretty happy with the results:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If I had a top box, I would have mounted it higher.
Your light and many others are used as emergency lights on authorized EMS type vehicles. I've got a similar 3-LED flasher in place of the bike's rear reflector (which was relocated to the bottom hole in the fender).

I notice cars very often stop back 3 or 4 lengths then creep up after a bit. I assume this is to get the flasher below their sight line. I stay off the brake as much as possible. I've thought of wiring the light so that only the brake pedal or lever activate it. I want get the attention of riders/drivers behind me but there's no need to piss them off in the meantime.

Mounting it higher than the luggage rack puts a very bright flashing light in the line of vision of drivers overtaking you. That's not really a good idea. There are plenty of basic brake lights that would work well as a CHMSL but an emergency flasher isn't one of them - especially in the early morn' or at night.

OP
OP
HondaInTheSun
Bike
2003 ST1300
@ATA I forgot your question about the marker bulbs! I didn’t have to remove any fairing to replace them. I do remember you have to be careful not to “squirt” them out of the sockets and into the light housing, I came close and can’t imagine what a pain it would be to rescue them.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I came close and can’t imagine what a pain it would be to rescue them.
I have it on very good authority that a stiff piece of wire that can be shaped as needed with some tape rolled inside out can fish the bulb out as long as you're not afflicted with St. Vitus' Dance.

It's possible it might get pushed out of its reflector area down into the headlight reflector area. If that happens it's easier to remove. Just remove the appropriate headlight bulb then use the same wire and tape and back it out. DAMHIKT.

Last edited:

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
@ATA I forgot your question about the marker bulbs! I didn’t have to remove any fairing to replace them. I do remember you have to be careful not to “squirt” them out of the sockets and into the light housing, I came close and can’t imagine what a pain it would be to rescue them.
How long did it take you to do it & how? Just no room in there for hands!

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
How long did it take you to do it & how? Just no room in there for hands!
The easiest way is to take off the side fairings. The bulbs are right there and you don't have to worry as much about dropping them into the lens housing.

Reactions: ATA
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
In Missouri you are limited to 4 forward facing white lights. Can't imagine that CA law allows more.

Top Bottom