ST1300 lighting project done, for now...

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
In Missouri you are limited to 4 forward facing white lights. Can't imagine that CA law allows more.
I was pulled over in Missouri once for speeding. The nice lady State Trooper just gave me a warning and didn't say a word about the 8 forward facing white lights that I was running at the time. 2 headlights, 2 under mirror lights, 2 position lights and the 2 white switchback turn signal lens.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was pulled over in Missouri once for speeding. The nice lady State Trooper just gave me a warning and didn't say a word about the 8 forward facing white lights that I was running at the time. 2 headlights, 2 under mirror lights, 2 position lights and the 2 white switchback turn signal lens.
They won't count the position lights, so you have six. Of course it depends on the trooper and how much of a prick they want to be. My solution was to slip the yellow covers on my clearwaters adn fork lights. Not I have 4 white 4 yellow, and just as blinding as before.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
In Missouri you are limited to 4 forward facing white lights. Can't imagine that CA law allows more.
Really?
Never had someone say a thing. Not inspectors and not LEOs. Maybe I just haven't run across any having a bad day yet.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Nope.. trust me... you can still drop them in the housing...
:rofl1: :rofl1: I was just going to post "no it's still pretty easy!"

jodog said:
As you mentioned the position / parking lights don't count. Small conspicuity lights don't count but it has to be made clear that's all they are. Otherwise - illuminated we can have:

1) up to four headlights
2) two aux driving lights - used with high beams only
3) two aux passing lights - used with low beams only
4) two aux fog lights - used with low beams only
5) up to eight headlights - off road type only - those must be covered and off on highway

With 1 and 2 that's up to six white lights and 1 and 3 or 4 that's up to four white lights. So obviously you want them wired and switched however you want with the proviso you can be compliant in the face of red and blues.

Bike
2006 ST 1300A
I've been chipping away at improving the stock lighting on my ST1300 since I got it a year ago. A few things I've done:

* LED replacements of all the stock incandescent bulbs
* Rear brake bulbs replaced with LED strobe bulbs ( although these cast a red glow on to the license plate - I need to fix with the addition of a white license plate light )
* Clear lense conversion and switchback for front signals and running lights.
* Fork mounted always-on driving lights
* Fork mounted LED strips that are white running lights, then amber for turn signals. These are visible from the front, and the side of the bike. Hoping they increase bike visibility from the side.
* Red LED strips mounted under the pillion handles, always-on in the hopes it increases visibility from the side of the bike.
* Red LED strips mounted on the rear box mount, always-on and not tied to the brake in any way.

All in all, I'm happy with the improvements and hope they give me a leg up on visibility during my daily California freeway lane-splitting commute.

As always, a huge thank you to this forum, I would never have attempted any of this without the help of so many of you, I appreciate it so much. A special thank you to @SMSW who has taught me so much about how bike electrics work, and has put up with many silly questions from me.

Stay safe out there, everyone!
Very nice job. Looks like your visibility problems are solved. Where did you purchase your LED's?

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
. The bulbs are right there and you don't have to worry as much about dropping them into the lens housing.
Wanna bet?? ;)

Just this morning, I managed to pop off one of my position lights, and down in the housing it went. I duct taped a piece of surgical tubing to my shop vac, fished it through the hole, and managed to get it out after four failed attempts.

I was going to pat myself on the back for my creativity, until I saw someone suggest that you could just take the headlight out and remove it through the bigger hole. So I was too clever by half, I guess. :doh1::biggrin:

OP
OP
HondaInTheSun
Bike
2003 ST1300
Very nice job. Looks like your visibility problems are solved. Where did you purchase your LED's?
@Lyall I'm pretty sure that absolutely all of the various lights and bulbs were bought on Amazon. I can probably dig up links if you're interested in something specific.

Bike
2006 ST 1300A
Any specific instructions on removing the plastic to access the headlights? Did you trim the tabs on the new headlight bulbs to install them?

I've been chipping away at improving the stock lighting on my ST1300 since I got it a year ago. A few things I've done:

* LED replacements of all the stock incandescent bulbs
* Rear brake bulbs replaced with LED strobe bulbs ( although these cast a red glow on to the license plate - I need to fix with the addition of a white license plate light )
* Clear lense conversion and switchback for front signals and running lights.
* Fork mounted always-on driving lights
* Fork mounted LED strips that are white running lights, then amber for turn signals. These are visible from the front, and the side of the bike. Hoping they increase bike visibility from the side.
* Red LED strips mounted under the pillion handles, always-on in the hopes it increases visibility from the side of the bike.
* Red LED strips mounted on the rear box mount, always-on and not tied to the brake in any way.

All in all, I'm happy with the improvements and hope they give me a leg up on visibility during my daily California freeway lane-splitting commute.

As always, a huge thank you to this forum, I would never have attempted any of this without the help of so many of you, I appreciate it so much. A special thank you to @SMSW who has taught me so much about how bike electrics work, and has put up with many silly questions from me.

Stay safe out there, everyone!
How did you mount aux lights to your forks? Is there a kit? Thank you

Top Bottom