ST1300 - Migsel Shelf Install

Bike
2007 ST1300
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a few farkles and thought I would share how the install goes. As of right now, the only thing I have to attach to the shelf is a Garmin Streetpilot 2820. This article may be too basic for those who have already installed some farkles, but this is meant to help people who may not have very much confidence to tackle the job. So, here goes.

The first step is to remove the windshield. Unscrew the covers with a Phillips screwdriver.

After removing the covers, use an 8mm wrench to remove the bolts that attach the windshield.

Next, there are 4 Phillips head screws in the dash that must be removed, 2 on each side.

The next step is to remove the pop rivets on the top. This is where the screws for the Migsel will be mounted. There are two more pop-rivets below and to the sides that need to be removed, but I didn't take a picture of the lower ones.

Now you should be able to slightly peel back the top. The metal threaded pieces from the kit fit inside the slots fairly snugly. I didn't take a picture of them before I put them in and I wasn't able to remove them. Sorry for the out-of-focus picture on this one.

There are several screws that come with the shelf, but the ones that are used to mount the shelf are the two hex screws.

Here is the Migsel mounted. The Migsel comes with only 1 ram ball. I had an extra ram ball from when I purchased my MCL risers.

Next, put the screws in the dash back in, then the pop-rivets. Then re-install the windshield. Here are some pics of the Migsel after the install. There are three places to mount the ram balls. Since the kit includes only one ram ball, there are also two plugs for the other holes. In the picture below, I have a plug in the middle hole.

With the 2820 installed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: Installing the Migsel Shelf

Good stuff.. moved to article section.

OP
OP
KrazyKooter
Bike
2007 ST1300

Thanks. I think this install took less than half an hour. That includes time jacking with the camera, helping the wife unload groceries, stuff like that.

Papa Brad

57 Actual - 67 Indicated
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #

Hey, John . . .

Are you going to mount anything in addition to the 2820? Let us know if you get much vibration or wobble without a stiffener.

OP
OP
KrazyKooter
Bike
2007 ST1300

At the moment, I don't have anything else to mount. I will go on a good 700+ mile ride on Friday to Coopers BBQ in Llano. I'll let you know how it goes.

OP
OP
KrazyKooter
Bike
2007 ST1300

I cut the trip short. It was only 600 miles.

The shelf worked great. It really didn't vibrate the dash that much. Usually just slightly when hitting a good bump. The GPS would vibrate a tad on rough roads, but anything on an arm will do that. It didn't last very long and definitely didn't affect viewing the GPS.

I do love the fact that the GPS is pretty close to line of sight while driving. Makes quick glances really easy. As far as viewing the GPS, the screen was just a visible as the instrument cluster, whether in day or night.

Bike
04 Honda ST1300

Is there any place in the US to order a Migsel for a ST1300? Thanks

Bike
04 Honda ST1300

Thanks for the cycle gadgets link

STill STylin

Red is ALWAYS faSTer
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #

John, thanks for posting your encouraging success.

Is your field of view of any portion of the road impaired?

Thanks,

OP
OP
KrazyKooter
Bike
2007 ST1300

John, thanks for posting your encouraging success.

Is your field of view of any portion of the road impaired?

Thanks,
Nope, not at all. I've used the GPS on a few rides and there is not abstractions. Sometimes I forget it's there and miss a turn. I guess I need to get that cable to use the audio prompts.

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #

Nice install. I have mine mounted on the riser plate and while sturdy, tends to get washed out in the bright sun. Does this position enable better viewing in bright sun?

Thanks for sharing your photos and knowledge!

Top Bottom