ST1300 - Migsel Shelf Install

OP
OP
KrazyKooter
Bike
2007 ST1300
Re: Installing the Migsel Shelf

I haven't mounted it any longer, so I can't really compare it. I don't seem to have any trouble seeing it.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #

As far as the sun goes, it really depends on the angle. If the sun shining directly on the screen, it's going to be hard to read. I think the advantage of this mounting, compared to the riser plate mount, is that the screen is pretty close to vertical, which means the sun will only be shining directly on the screen when it's low and behind you. With the riser plate location, you need to have the screen aimed up towards you, so there's a much greater chance the sun will be shining directly down on the screen.

I have the Migsel, and there are very few times when the screen is washed out by the sun.

HTH.

Bike
None For Now
STOC #

Just finished installing the Migsel (thanks, John for the very useful "how to" instructions!). This is the first time I've removed the windscreen and the first time I've gone exploring inside the space under the ST shelf.

It turned out to be a pretty uneventful project though, until I tried securing the Migsel to the ST shelf. Migsel only sent 2 screws and both were about 1/8 inch too long for the threaded bolt blocks they sent. The screws bottomed out well before the shelf was tightened down. It would have wobbled and flopped and vibrated all over the place once the GPS was mounted. I had to fab a thick water resistant "gasket" to fit between the ST shelf and the Migsel in order to take up the slack.

Otherwise, nothing to it if you follow John's instructions.

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES

That's odd-- I have an '08 also and the shelf and screws fit correctly. A few things to look at if you want to get rid of the gasket. Were the screws threaded to the head? Are the nuts thru threaded? Or maybe the screws were to long and went all the way thru the nuts into the plastic under the nut cage.
Jim

Bike
None For Now
STOC #

That's odd-- I have an '08 also and the shelf and screws fit correctly. A few things to look at if you want to get rid of the gasket. Were the screws threaded to the head? Are the nuts thru threaded? Or maybe the screws were to long and went all the way thru the nuts into the plastic under the nut cage.
Jim
The threaded "nut blocks" as I'd call them were not through threaded but the screws were threaded all the way to the head. They were just plain too long for the amount of thread provided in the blocks. I read in an earlier post that Migsel included "a bunch of screws" in the assembly pack, but apparently not any more. You get two. Period. Or, maybe I should say I only got two with my kit.

I don't have a problem with the gasket. It's virtually invisible and everything is as snug as it's supposed to be. I can't see a downside to living with it. If anything, it might even prevent marring of the ST's shelf surface if the Migsel did manage to work its way slightly loose over time. To me, it would not even be worth the minimal effort that would be required to take the shelf off again just to get rid of it.

If I hadn't had a suitable material on hand to make the gasket from I would have been really annoyed though. :)

OP
OP
KrazyKooter
Bike
2007 ST1300

So, here it is in 2014. I haven't been on this forum in quite a while. I still have the ST, and I must say the Migsel has performed great all these years. Definitely a great product.

Bike
2012 ST1300
Is the Migsel mount pretty solid? From you description it is only mounted to the plastic dash?

Top Bottom