ST1300 Oil Viscosity and brands recommended

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
That is quite a short interval. The maintenance manual says to change oil & filter every 8K miles and this is with conventional oil. With synthetic you should be able to go at least 8K and maybe even 10K.
Yes, In my opinion changing your oil at 5K is a bit overkill. You can easily go 8-10K with synthetic oil. But since an oil change isn't very expensive, some change it early.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I have indeed read that diesel oils do have additives specifically to neutralize acids formed as combustion by products, inherent to diesel fuels and their sulfur content. I read that a while back,on the BITOG (Bob is the oil guy), website.
Rick.
Diesel fuel has undergone three regulations (at least) on limiting sulphur. So what level was Bob referring to?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Yes, In my opinion changing your oil at 5K is a bit overkill. You can easily go 8-10K with synthetic oil. But since an oil change isn't very expensive, some change it early.
5K change intervals isn't much different than the 3K and a filter every other change maintenance that Dad grew up with - given Honda's recommendation of 8K for dino oil. I know someone who still does that and another guy who does 2K. A waste of time and money but it's 'cheap insurance'. Then at least change the filter every other change. I'd bet full synthetic can easily go >10K. But 10K is an easy number to remember. And it's cheap insurance.

I've got my ring magnet - ready for installation. If cutters weren't so pricey I'd get one and monitor my filters out of base curiosity.

Bike
R1200rt
You could have said "maybe". :) Can you expand on your precise answer.
You asked 2 questions,,, they were answered in the order of which they were asked...
#1 "Would Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil SAE 15W-40, work in a st 1300".
#2 Would there be any starting issues, due to oil thickness.
Definitive answers yes and no

It's the 21st century and we still have motorcycle oil threads?
Well, it's important to cover all aspects of oil, like brands, viscosity, diesel, blended, friction, color, additives, where to buy, change intervals, shelf life, just to name a few.

Come on over ... we've got three large couches, beer, and fresh popcorn, drizzled with butter.

I suggest we hang out and watch the oil threads on the big screen TV while talking about the different characteristics of butter, such as brands, viscosity, blended, color, additives, where to buy, shelf life, fridge vs room temp ...

:bigpop:

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
My oil change routine is pretty simple. Since I only put 2-3K miles per year on it now, I change it every spring before my group ride and I'm good until next spring.

Yes, Rotella synthetic. Yes I know it's overkill. No I don't care. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Just so I don't feel left out. I just changed the oil in my 2003 ST1300 (the fast grey one) after a 2000 km journey in 5 days at 34 degrees C (93 F) every day. I doubt it really needed it, but I feel better for it. The shifting was a little notchy when it was super hot (or I thought it was).

I did use T6 for several years with no issue. I switched to Mobil 1 0w40, European Car formula, as it has no resource conserving rating on it and seems to work as well in the bike as the T6 and costs less when bought on sale $32 CDN. I believe the oil ratings I saw on another page (Bob the Oil Guy?) had a better rating for the Mobil 1 product over T6 for some of the contents (zinc etc).

For your consumption.

T6 and costs less when bought on sale $32 CDN
So 32 CDN is 23.50 USD ...

I can buy T6 for less than 20 USD every day, and when on sale, for less.
*** EDIT: and when i check the price for the M1, it's almost $10 USD more than T6.

Sure you want to run "0"? (yea, I was joking around in above post)

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
Well, it's important to cover all aspects of oil, like brands, viscosity, diesel, blended, friction, color, additives, where to buy, change intervals, shelf life, just to name a few.

Come on over ... we've got three large couches, beer, and fresh popcorn, drizzled with butter.

I suggest we hang out and watch the oil threads on the big screen TV while talking about the different characteristics of butter, such as brands, viscosity, blended, color, additives, where to buy, shelf life, fridge vs room temp ...

:bigpop:
not enough time today... by the way, whats the best air to put in my tires? :rofl1:

Bike
R1200rt
Just so I don't feel left out. I just changed the oil in my 2003 ST1300 (the fast grey one) after a 2000 km journey in 5 days at 34 degrees C (93 F) every day. I doubt it really needed it, but I feel better for it. The shifting was a little notchy when it was super hot (or I thought it was).

I did use T6 for several years with no issue. I switched to Mobil 1 0w40, European Car formula, as it has no resource conserving rating on it and seems to work as well in the bike as the T6 and costs less when bought on sale $32 CDN. I believe the oil ratings I saw on another page (Bob the Oil Guy?) had a better rating for the Mobil 1 product over T6 for some of the contents (zinc etc).

For your consumption.

For your consumption.
I''m not comfortable using "0" weight oils on flat tappet engines. In all the newer car engines the clearances are a lot tighter and most if not all have roller rockers and that is why they went to a 0/20, 5/20 and so on. I don,t have any absolute truths about the oil just my opinion. good oil info http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/mobil1530a.htm

Bike
R1200rt
There are a lot of different opinions on what oil, what filter and how many miles to change it. What I don't see discussions over engine failures caused by wrong oil or any engine failures at all due to "lack of lubrication". So the most expensive oils work just as good as an inexpensive oil as long as you change it once in a while. * oils certified by st owners only *

Top Bottom