ST1300 Oil Viscosity and brands recommended

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
It's the 21st century and we still have motorcycle oil threads?
Well, it's important to cover all aspects of oil, like brands, viscosity, diesel, blended, friction, color, additives, where to buy, change intervals, shelf life, just to name a few.

Come on over ... we've got three large couches, beer, and fresh popcorn, drizzled with butter.

I suggest we hang out and watch the oil threads on the big screen TV while talking about the different characteristics of butter, such as brands, viscosity, blended, color, additives, where to buy, shelf life, fridge vs room temp ...

:bigpop:
And...... this is why I went radio silent for 20 years... :p

Anyone up for an argument, uh, I mean discussion, about the 1100's steering head shake?

The collection of hard drives holding such threads on Steiner's old site could've been used to moor a cruise ship.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Why does anyone buy Bitron?
(Not that I have any idea what bitron is besides an additive, just scanned your example).

I read it (online or offline) so it must be true. I've been told by somebody who knows all about these things because they knew a relative friend that had a story of someone in a similar thread.

A company invented it so they are the original and most knowledgeable, anyone that copies and improves won't be as good. I know this! I have proof, I can tell you aren't knowledgeable about this but my father knows more then your grandpa.

It worked well for many years and set a standard over two generations in the century previous.. Why would modern technology improvements think they can deviate my oil change interval. If it's not 10w40 it's not oil.

10k change interval are good for you, but 5k are twicw as good for everyone in the sales department and my 2k intervals are 5x better for my motor since it can't be proven its not.

I'm confused...

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
There would be no issue using a 0W 40 oil. Most new cars call for it and they don't want you to change the viscosity when the engine gets 100 ,000 miles.
You would have a hard time finding a "bad" oil these days.
People that change their oil early, only "think" it's better after . :) Lab results are the only real evidence of oil condition.

Bike
R1200rt
You mean you don't use nitrogen!
used R12 but can't find it any more , Tires ran cooler:rofl1:,,, everyone uses nitrogen but don't know it The air in Earth's atmosphere is made up of approximately 78 percent nitrogen and 21 percent oxygen. Air also has small amounts of lots of other gases, too, such as carbon dioxide, neon, and hydrogen. :headbang: :thumb:

jbird24

Is there any K&N oil filter that works for the 1300 that does not have a hex bolt tightener?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Is there any K&N oil filter that works for the 1300 that does not have a hex bolt tightener?

No, but does if matter? If you don't like it or afraid it'll break don't use it.

Hand tight is all you need, on and off.
Or if weak of hand, a regular oil filter wrench grabbing the outside of filter housing will still function.

I picked up a 5 qt jug of supertech Walmart brand 10w30 and a Honda oil filter. I will be storing my bike for a while and don’t want to use a $33 gallon of Honda GN4 oil while it is sitting, not being used. So, I will replace the oil and filter, let it run for a while, add oil to the cylinders, start it without wires connected and leave it until I am going to ride it again.

Bike
04 ST1300
start it without wires connected and plugs not screwed as a safe precaution. Some oil may come out but you can wipe it off. It will still get lubricated. I once did what you are saying with my CB 750 and broke the starter chain. The plugs were screwed in loosely, not even tight and I barely cranked for two seconds.

start it without wires connected and plugs not screwed as a safe precaution. Some oil may come out but you can wipe it off. It will still get lubricated. I once did what you are saying with my CB 750 and broke the starter chain. The plugs were screwed in loosely, not even tight and I barely cranked for two seconds.
Etalors, Thank you for letting me know about this. I suppose it is just physics. Fluids are not compressible. I think I would have made this error without you replying to this. Seriously, thank you.

Top Bottom