ST1300-PA mystery leak

I both hear your admonitions/advice and appreciate the love.

So as we speak, ive just returned from doing an onsite inspection and interview with the mechanic (Mark) who was on Team Honda for 10 years. We went into the shop and there were 1/2 dozen 1300PAs invarious states of repair and maintenance. They are contracted by local San Bernardino LE who still use the PA. (And probably why i get respects when i ride it).

I explained the leak situation along with my pictures. Also bought a bottle of coolant type2 to hold things off until my service reservation after the holiday. He showed me with his iphone as a flashlight how to read the jug hi/lo marks by only removing the tilt bar cover. He also showed me which and how to remove the correct panel.

Whilst in the parts department, i ordered a new jug lid ($4) and took this picture off his screen
95BB8CE7-6EF7-439B-9DCB-FBB58779CA36.jpg

Where does Larry live and maybe ill just go meet him
Partzilla.com is a great place for parts. . .oem Honda factory parts, but at a discount.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AV8R said:
ive just returned from doing an onsite inspection and interview with the mechanic (Mark) who was on Team Honda for 10 years.

I congratulate you on finding a solid wrench. Doing so is not a given.

My ST buddy had the local super-store work on his bike (he pulled the Tup prior) to fix a leak. He also bought all hoses prior to having the work done. He ended up with a new water pump and ancillary parts for which he was charged $1600. He wasn't happy and they knocked some $$ off. Not much if I read his poker face correctly.

About a year later he develops another coolant leak. The shop 'warranty' is done and I say 'I know a guy...' He's reluctant to see a non-pro but ultimately relents. We to the OCD Garage and Larry takes him to Pro School. He finds all the relevant hoses look a lot older than one year. ST buddy is not happy.

Leak solved throttle bodies synced SMC replaced and pre-load reservoir filled and pre-load adjusted. ST buddy is very happy. Just about 2 years now and STill no leaks.

It's good that you found a great shop. A lot of us aren't that fortunate. Fortunately I know a guy.

I congratulate you on finding a solid wrench. Doing so is not a given...... We to the OCD Garage and Larry takes him to Pro School.....It's good that you found a great shop. A lot of us aren't that fortunate....

I hear ya sir, and I've lived long enough to not count my chickens until they are sizzling on my plate next to the little piggies. Still, as a Vette guy, trust me when I say that I do my homework before a mechanic throws wrenches at my rolling fiberglass!

As as for me, aka prissy-pants, I didn't buy just any ST1300PA, it had to almost as clean as the day she rolled out. Vette guys are OCD like this. Ya, we are the nut jobs that will walk extra steps to park by ourselves, no door dings please (hence don't park sideways or take two slots). A lot of awe goes from me to the Huntington Beach PD and service guys for the outward appearance of this 2005 69k Police bike. I saw the ones in the shop from San Bernardino and they were beat up.

Then I turned to Mark (aforementioned hot mechanic), looked him eye to eye and asked if he would be extra careful with my bike's plastics because it is nearly perfect and as a Vette fanatic, it means a lot to me. He didn't scoff or get defensive, he assured me he would. That is when I was sold enough to give them my new baby.

......Fortunately I know a guy.

so Larry and his “OCD Garage†is this “guyâ€, and he's way way up there near you in San Fran Sourdough heaven?

Last edited:
OCD.....you don't know what OCD is....you can't handle OCD.......You probably would need a couple valium if you met someone with real OCD....
Prissy-pants Vet guy.....:rofl1:
Looked him in the eye and asked huh....and you believed him :rolleyes:
Now I know an OCD guy, who owns a ferrari 512 that he trusts me with to work on AND to take out for a test drive for the day!
I also know a guy that gets calls from a couple of these big pro dealerships monthly asking for advice :shrug1:

Last edited:
Now I know an OCD guy, who owns a ferrari 512 that he trusts me with to work on AND to take out for a test drive for the day!

I'd be willing to bet you don't drive it like Ferris Buheler drove Cameron's dad's Ferrari in Ferris Buheler's Day Off.

@IGOFAR,
um OK, thanks for that. Dont know how that's helpful, but im sure it was all in good spirits.

Back to the issue at hand, after peeking into the tipover bar slot back at the overflow jug with my iPhone flashlight as shown, Yes indeed i can inspect the lower and upper level markers respectively without any other panel removals. Guess he was spot on.
A0EC62DA-D2CF-42F5-B9D5-001C2E9656BB.jpg 4A6089F2-157A-4037-AE46-3935A7052B18.jpg

And so, to buy some riding time, i started to funnel some coolant into the bottle/jug
01DEDC7F-6763-4C12-8E88-166C34BF2FCE.jpg

Then it happened, coolant came straight out to the floor. I must have missed the funnel to jug mouth, right?
i double check and am more careful, but it does it again.

Yup, you guessed it, I may have stumbled upon the easiest ST leak of all time. See for youself....

7A47318E-249F-4C93-A4D8-72F0C1ED1176.jpg

Too bad i couldnt take off the panel earlier, but no worries. I may get out of this with the price of a jug alone.

Last edited:
Yep, I was just having some fun :rolleyes:
As far as being helpful, why don't you PM me a contact number and I'll call you tomorrow on the white courtesy :call: and discuss how to keep your bike in service and explain a couple little tidbits that will be very helpful to you.
...Like checking the coolant tank attachment points, where they always crack from over tightening and heat, etc.

Yep, I was just having some fun :rolleyes:
As far as being helpful, why don't you PM me a contact number and I'll call you tomorrow on the white courtesy :call: and discuss how to keep your bike in service and explain a couple little tidbits that will be very helpful to you.
...Like checking the coolant tank attachment points, where they always crack from over tightening and heat, etc.

Are you the famous “I know a guy...” Master Jedi Lightsabre Wench “Larry” who others ST padawans speak of in hushed tones?

Lucky me that I stopped working on Ex-PD bikes, with electrical accessories from China added :rofl1:
I hate working on P motors due to all the extra crash bars, lights, accessories, and crap, not to mention always finding damaged threads on everything and cut wires etc.

Lucky me that I stopped working on Ex-PD bikes, with electrical accessories from China added :rofl1:
I hate working on P motors due to all the extra crash bars, lights, accessories, and crap, not to mention always finding damaged threads on everything and cut wires etc.

Sure a lot of them coming up on Craig's List lately! :eek:4: (thinking to myself...NO THANKS!)

Oh sure, diss my X-wing Vette, my mech picking Jedi mind tricks, and now my Honda Air speeder...
you assume too much Master Jedi

If Obi-Wrench here is this much fun in text, I bet he’s even better live!
why I outta reach out in the Force and.... and... (resist the Dark Side)

back to the present,
off to Huntington Beach Honda (Where my dissed Honda served and was born), to pick up the bottle, hose, flange bolt and tube clips.

Last edited:
Snagged one of the last bottles in stock....
Had to drive an hour each way to get today versus waitng until next week from a warehouse.

B6167370-0350-41A1-9F97-41159E00F9D8.jpg

When you replace the tank, you will notice a hole up/down in the frame, near the bottom of the coolant tank, and to the rear of it, this is where the the overflow tube is inserted, you know, the same place the folks at the dealerships always miss.

Ok I'll make note of that. I did notice this beastie has a few drip tubes hanging under her belly. Time to degrease it too. No like grime.

Other cogitations:
- Thinking of adding some Whalen linear LED modules on the radio hood sides.
- Also considering a PvP hood with a lid to replace stock version.
- ordered a BT adaptor for the 8180 radio
- installing a radio hand mic hanger bracket onto left brakes handlebar clamp bolt

Last edited:
This chap does a good job explaining how to remove the tupperware and access to the coolant jug. First 18 mins.

[video=youtube_share;wP9CtGJbdwg]https://youtu.be/wP9CtGJbdwg[/video]

Purchase a spare Alternator and keep it on the shelf for a spare when you'll need it.
With all the electrical stuff your adding, you'll also want to address the ground wire melt down issue before it becomes a problem.

This chap does a good job explaining how to remove the tupperware and access to the coolant jug. First 18 mins.

[video=youtube_share;wP9CtGJbdwg]https://youtu.be/wP9CtGJbdwg[/video]

At 1252 into the video you'll see the hole where the overflow tube should go....the one he missed :rofl1:
On a used/dirty tank, its easier to use CLR/Vinegar and a bunch of aluminum nuts to shake everything clean. Just plug the overflow tube into the top fitting to seal the tank while you clean it.

Back
Top Bottom