Article [13] ST1300 - Screen Mod

:04biker: Hi, How are the windshield brackets working?

Do they make a big difference in the backpressure the

stock screen exhibits?? Thanks, Dave

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
DesertFox said:
:04biker: Hi, How are the windshield brackets working?

Do they make a big difference in the backpressure the

stock screen exhibits?? Thanks, Dave
Dave, I don't know who you are addressing but..My screen has the Lam Lip so it isn't really STock but I notice the backpressure but don't have a problem with it. I feel it is less with the STuey STruts. Maybe the LL is the diff?
My kids live in Corvallis, where are you?

STOC #
Apologies

My apologies. I received the brackets (Stuey Struts?) from Earache (Eric) but had NO TIME to install them yet. I have a three-day weekend and plan to test them sometime this weekend. I plan to test them with the stock shield and my medium-size Clearview. I'll definitly let everyone know what I find out.

David

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
The new version aka STuey STruts II are inSTalled and have passed the 100mph "honeST officer I was juST teSTing a new Farkle" teST with flying colors! :03biker:

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
With more air getting in under the screen, how does this work when it rains? Are you still in a relative cacoon of dryness (I currently am with the screen virtually fully raised and in the upper brackets on the stock mounts), or does water come under the screen and splatter back?

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Re: 1300 Screen Mod

Yeah, I think I am interested in a set of these, too. Is Earache still around and making them or does someone have the final template??

Bike
BMW GS

I'll make a batch - no problem.

But I won't be back from vcation until May 18th, so it'll be just after that.
PM your shipping addresses to me and I'll send them out upon my return.

Eric

Calling all aerodynamic experts............ I have a + 6" wide stock height C bailey screen with a laminar Lip. I like the shield down almost all the time. With my SO on back she insists that the screen be all the way up due to head buffeting. I also have the Honda fairing deflectors. If I understand this long thread, some of you would probably say that a major portion of the buffeting control with the screen up may be due to the increased gap at the bottom and not the height of the screen when up. I will experiment with homemade brackets if I think this may be the case. Unless I am sure I do not want to impose on the more than generous offer of free brackets from a fellow rider.

Any thoughts ??????????

I made a set of spacers as suggested by this discussion and gave them a try. I have to say the actually made things much WORSE! The spacers moved the stock shield out 1 inch creating a bigger gap for air to move under the shield. There was indeed more air coming through as it was blasting me right in the face when looking just over the shield. (BTW: I installed the shield in the high position brackets.) Moreover, I raised the shield all the way up and the back pressure became WAY worse than normal :confused:

The theory of letting more in air in the pocket to reduce back pressure makes sense but for whatever reason the spacers made things far worse. I know others state they have had positive experiences with this modification but no luck for me here. Oh well, the search continues...

Bike
2005 ST1300

Dond-

I just joined the forum and would like to buy a set of these brackets, if you have any left. Or you can email the specs and I can make a set - whichever is easiest on you. I realize this thread is 2 years old, so things may have chagned since then.

Regards,

Steve

Don't know if you are going to find a medium for yourself for all seasons with modifying the stock screen. I have read all the threads on several forums as you probably have. Seems a lot of ST folks have tried all sorts of different shields. I asked for comments between the Clearview and CalSci and received little input except for the Calsci. Although owner testimonials are on both sites. I am leaning toward the Clearview since it is 3 inches wider than the OEM. The hands take a beating in cold weather because of the width of the OEM shield. In addition, they offer the GW 5 position center vent. What do you think? Additional windshields aren't cheap but based advice from forums and buffeting experience think a better windshield is the way to go.

Top Bottom