Article [13] ST1300 - Screen Mod

Re: 1300 Screen Mod

I imported a 6" higher, 2" wider screen with vent hole a year or so ago, and didnt use it as it was too noisy, both from wind noise and it focused a lot of road and engine noise right onto my helmet, and of course it was way too high. The height issue I expected, as I intended to be able to trim the screen down by trial and error. With our Oz winter coming on and a trip south planned, I re-tried the screen with a bracket modification to kick the bottom hole of the bracket out about 5/8 - 3/4" ( it is adjustable) out from the original position. This effectively lays the screen back, lowers the top, and lets a lot more air behind the screen. It is a lot quiter, pressure neutral, and almost turbulent free. It probably lets a bit too much air in under the screen, and I aim to experiment with dampers/deflectors. I am 6'4"" on a 1300 STandard (no ABS or electric shield).

Last edited:

I bought a maximum-extra-width and height windshield last year (Not sure which brand) and of course it was way too high, too reactive to wind and truck wash, and it focused a lot of road and engine noise onto my helment. Pretty much unusable. With our Oz winter coming on, and a trip south planned, I decided on an experiment. I modified the standard attachment bracket by adding a slot at right angles to the bracket, at the lower mounting hole. This allowed me to lay the widnscreen back, with the aim of effectively lowering the top of the screen, moving the audio focal point downwards, and opening the gap under the lower leading edge of the screen. I couldnt believe the improvement first time out. The screen is a lot quiter, I can see over the top (6'4"), and the pressure is virtually neutral. I bought the screen with the optional vent, and even with it plugged I think I am still getting a bit too too much air behind the screen. Way better than standard though, and no turbulence on my helment. Ride is ST1300 STandard, no ABS or electric shield.

I bought a maximum-extra-width and height windshield last year (Not sure which brand) and of course it was way too high, too reactive to wind and truck wash, and it focused a lot of road and engine noise onto my helment. Pretty much unusable. With our Oz winter coming on, and a trip south planned, I decided on an experiment. I modified the standard attachment bracket by adding a slot at right angles to the bracket, at the lower mounting hole. This allowed me to lay the widnscreen back, with the aim of effectively lowering the top of the screen, moving the audio focal point downwards, and opening the gap under the lower leading edge of the screen. I couldnt believe the improvement first time out. The screen is a lot quiter, I can see over the top (6'4"), and the pressure is virtually neutral. I bought the screen with the optional vent, and even with it plugged I think I am still getting a bit too too much air behind the screen. Way better than standard though, and no turbulence on my helment. Ride is ST1300 STandard, no ABS or electric shield.
Got pics?

I have tried a couple of things to get smooth air on my ST1300. I have the stock windshield that is mounted in the upper position - that helps slightly. This weekend I had the opportunity to try out a Calsci X large (kindly lent to me by Drifter). During the test with the Calsci the wind was reasonably strong and I did not feel that the Calsci reduced any buffetting and there was a definite noise that came from the cutouts. This morning I made up a set of these aluminum brackets (mine are styled to lift the shield 25mm above the current position off the fairing and to lower the windshield angle by 6?). I have fitted the brackets to the bike and the windshield is went back on OK - have nothad a chance to test ride yet! I'm really hoping that this will make a significant improvement!

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

This is a very interesting thread. I apparently missed the answer on whether the mod allows rain to blow up under the stock shield. Anyone have this problem?

STOC #

Hello everyone;
I finally got around to making the spacers, almost exactly like Stuey's. Thanks for the guidance.

Only one concern, when it came time to bolt on the windshield the top bolts lined up fine. The lower 2 however were a bit off centered by a cm or so. I'm concerned that the considerable force it took to get things aligned will put undue stress on the windshield mechanism. I'm sure it is putting extra stress for that matter and would like to know if anyone has any ideas or feed back.

I guess a little bending here and there could get it all to line up, but not too sure about the long term effects though.

Thanks

Last edited:

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #

What amazes me about all this is that Mother Honda, with it's millions spent on R&D, couldn't figure out this way of improving the shield. Must be all those 5'5" tall Japanese testers they use.

STOC #

I rode to work today with the new mod and the air flow seems to be smoother and quieter with the shield in the lower positions. It'll take a few more rides to figure if the back pressure is reduced also. I think it will be.

I'm still concerned about the stress question in my post above.

STOC #

Mike, I used some stainless washers to get things lined up right and I don't think I have any more stress on the mechanisms than a stock set up. Experiment with it and you should be able to get it lined up too.

I managed to get a short test ride in after work today with the "windshield riser mod". The day was moderately windy and I would say that there is somewhat of an improvement - it's hard to really say because this is so subjective and there are so many variables that come into play. I'm going to continue to test this mod with riding in all sorts of conditions to see if there really is alot of benefit.

STOC #

Mike, I used some stainless washers to get things lined up right and I don't think I have any more stress on the mechanisms than a stock set up. Experiment with it and you should be able to get it lined up too.
Thanks Brian;
I sorta figured it was going to take some spacers, I don't want to start bending important parts. It's a shame to to have to use washers since the spacer fits so neat & securely flush against the brackets.

mike

Bike
2012 r1200rt
STOC #

i read this thread today and its hard to tell if the folks who obtained the new bracket stuck with it or went with an aftermarket windshield or both. any comments from you folks after a couple of years?

STOC #

Terry;
It won't take a couple of years. I've only used the mod with the stock shield for a week or 2 and I'm sold. It's like riding a different bike. I think I'll even use the mod on the V-Stream shield for the winter.

go for it.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #

I had/have some brackets that Earache made and they worked well. They moved the shield 1" out. I think brackets that laid the shield back some more and/or brackets that were less than and inch of space would/could work as well. I think even .5" might be enough for a shield with a stock like (constricted) middle vent. I cut my shield to open that up more so .5" would certainly be suitable. I have no way to cut the metal, and where would I buy some stock to make them.

Bike
2012 r1200rt
STOC #

ok so who has the bracket and parts etc for me to order them????

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #

I don't wanna make any cash - just postage really. The aluminum, assuming we can use 1/8" is pretty cheap. a 1.5" X 6 foot long bar is about $10.

Powder for powdercoating is like $20 for 2lbs. and I can do about 400 of them with 2 lbs. of powder. Postage at $3-4 is by far the msot expensive part.

Anyway, it'll be at cost, no profit needed (other than buying me a beer someday if our paths cross:D )

Eric
Eric:

Do you have plans to make any more of these? If so, I'll happily pay you your costs plus enough to cover a six-pack of your favorite beer. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can't struggle through creating a set of my own. I have no way to powder coat them, though.

Many thanks,

Bob

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

Bob,

We have a small coating business and I use a product called John Norrell's Moly Resin. I use both the heat cure and air dry and if you have access to a hobby air brush or small spray gun, the air dry works very well and gives a very tough finish. We also offer powder coating, but I have been using the Moly Resin more and more since I don't need to bake the part. We also use Duracoat or Sherwin Williams Polane (2 part epoxy), but it requires a 30 day cure for full hardness. Otherwise, just paint it or if you are not in a hurry, send it to me and I'll shoot them the next time I have some matte black in the spray gun. I'm thinkng about making a set the these thingys too, so it is not problem.

Joe

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #

Thanks Joe. I'll keep your offer in mind. I don't have any sort of spray equipment at all, and couldn't justify buying it just for this. I'll have to check out the Moly Resin, though. Sounds interesting.

Bob

Top Bottom