Article [13] ST1300 - Stebel Horn Install

Re: Stebel Horn Install

I wanted to say thanks to Dano also, installed mine today just as he described. Worked out great.

I went to alot of trouble to get one of these installed in my (now gone) 03 vfr. I made a special bracket to allow it to be put in place of the original horn. It was a real bear. I took lots of pics and helped others to get it done on vfrd.

So I guess what goes around comes around. Thanks again Dano! I would have spent alot of time finding a good spot, but didn't have to this time!
Hank:

I'd really be interested in seeing some pics of how you mounted it on your VFR in the stock location. I just installed one on my '02 VFR and the only way I could get it to fit to my satisfaction was to seperate the compressor from the megaphone/horns, mount the compressor vertically in one place, then mounted the Stebel megaphone/horns way up under the lower triple tree. Had to make a special bracket to mount it. I connected them together with a 5/16" PVC line.

One of the more challenging farkles I've ever done.

Pete

If install the horn at the location showed in the first post, can still install speaker?

Bike
2008 VStrom 650

That is the weak point of the Stebel system. The relay they supply with their horns is not a sealed relay. Get a good sealed one from Jim Davis at Eastern Beaver.
You are right... the relay cover is not sealed and water will get in.
I had the original relay crap out after a year and a half due to water ingress.
I sealed the replacement relay with some silcone and have not had any problems since.

Have I ever mentioned I HATE you guys. Another 40 bucks gone to a good cause. Horn is on order.

RocketMan

so many roads...
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #

Hi,

I just got my Stebel horn and am wondering about the mounting as outlined in this thread.

Where did the little piece come from that is in this picture?

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6133&d=1136764323

The darker piece with the sawtooth edge? Between the horn and the frame?

Should that have come with the horn or was it bought somewhere else?

Thanks.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Hi,

I just got my Stebel horn and am wondering about the mounting as outlined in this thread.

Where did the little piece come from that is in this picture?

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6133&d=1136764323

The darker piece with the sawtooth edge? Between the horn and the frame?

Should that have come with the horn or was it bought somewhere else?

Thanks.
I didn't use that when I installed mine. Well, because mine didn't come with it, might have been why.

RocketMan

so many roads...
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #

I didn't use that when I installed mine. Well, because mine didn't come with it, might have been why.
OK.

As long as it fits without it.

This will be my project this weekend.

Met up with member Kirbybikes while in Vancouver last week (him and his wife and me and my wife had a nice ride together, lunch, and good conversations) and he has a Stebel.

Honked it for me once.

Once.

Can't wait to get mine on.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #

Stebel changed the length of the mounting lug and the plastic thingamajig is no longer included.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #

After being almost run off the road by cagers changing lanes without looking, I have ordered a Stebel. The info provided in the forum will make the install go a whole lot easier. Thanks all.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #

As testimony as to how loud the Stebel is, I'll share a quick anecdote...

I installed the Stebel on my ST1100 two weekends ago. My older son and his girlfriend rode it when we went out to dinner this past Sunday night. After dinner, they rode past a friend’s house, saw one of them outside, and he decided to blow the horn to say “hello” on the way by. As you might guess, he had forgotten that I had installed the Stebel and about messed his pants!

He and his girlfriend laughed about it all the way back to our house...

Thank you Dano. My installation was sweet because of this thread and your terrific photos.:bow1::bow1::bow1:

BluesRider

Rick
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

Dano,
I know this is an old post but I installed the Stebel on my '06 today and the pictures helped out immensly. Just wanted to say thanks to you and everyone else thats posts how-to's with lots of pics for us visual learning wanna-be mechanics. I has no issues with the install and it works like a champ. Well one issue, I have an extra tupperware pin I have no idea where it came from. Word of advice, don't test the stebel in a garage if you have issues with hearing loss. The thing is LOUD!
Rick

Bike
ST1300A Police

I also mounted my horn as per the instructions... very helpful. I did a plug and play using the existing wires, relay, etc. Got great sound. Just wondering why others are using the relay that came with the horn?

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie

I also mounted my horn as per the instructions... very helpful. I did a plug and play using the existing wires, relay, etc. Got great sound. Just wondering why others are using the relay that came with the horn?
I think it draws more amps than the stock horn?

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

I did not use the relay that came with my Stebel either. I used a wiring harness with relay from easternbeaver and wired it directly to the battery.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #

does anyone know where the horn relay is on the bike...
Don't think it has one... just the button switch. WHICH is why the relay is added for the 10a draw ( it would burn out the button is short time not to mention the wire is prob undersized too)

Bike
ST1300A Police

So do I need to replace the wire going up to the switch as well... I assume the stock horn draws power through the switch as there are only two wires. Not sure where to go from here. Do the two wires from the switch plug directly into the relay, then I run heavier wire from the battery to the relay as well. I am an office guy... no experience with wiring. HELP. My bike is in the garage with tupperware all over the floor.

Top Bottom