Article [13] ST1300 - Stebel Horn Install

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Re: Stebel Horn Install

Street,
Order yourself a single horn wiring harness with relay from Jim at www.easternbeaver.com. It is plug 'n play and you will be good to go. Even though he is in Japan, his shipments normally arrive within a week. You can also look on Jim's site and check out his wiring instructions.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #

So do I need to replace the wire going up to the switch as well... I assume the stock horn draws power through the switch as there are only two wires. Not sure where to go from here. Do the two wires from the switch plug directly into the relay, then I run heavier wire from the battery to the relay as well. I am an office guy... no experience with wiring. HELP. My bike is in the garage with tupperware all over the floor.

*picture may differ from relay used*

No, the switch wires to the button will only power the relay eletromagnet...this current draw will be low, and no problem ( marked 85-86 ).
You will pull the wires off the stock horn and put them there.

You will have to run heavier wire from the battery (fused right near battery) to the horn rely location. I use 2- 12g wires to the front. One (positive) will go to the relay (marked 30 ), then out (marked 87) to the positive terminal of horn. The last terminal of horn goes to negitive (back to battery)
As you can see, there will be a shorter jumper wire from relay(87) to horn.

So you push the horn button, the eletromagnet pulls down the contact which allow power to travel to the horn and out comes a LOUD noise.

Hope this make sense ( and I did it right... don't worry if wrong others will scream) .
You can also run a fused positive single wire from battery if there is a good frame ground near by ( the frame becomes the second wire back to battery)

BTW; I think it takes a 15a fuse as the horn draws about 10amps full on

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A Police

Thanks,

Just finished the install. I used a 20 amp fuse between the battery and the horn - grounded the horn to the frame instead of running a wire back to the battery. Works fine now.

Is anyone using a power block off the battery. I have about 4 extra wires on the positive pole now and am wondering if a power block would make more sense.

Bike
2006 ST1300

Thanks,

Just finished the install. I used a 20 amp fuse between the battery and the horn - grounded the horn to the frame instead of running a wire back to the battery. Works fine now.

Is anyone using a power block off the battery. I have about 4 extra wires on the positive pole now and am wondering if a power block would make more sense.
I wonder also. I'm not a farkle nut, but with the battery tender lead, Gerbing lead, and horn, I've got a few.

Bike
ST1300A Police

I resolved the problem somewhat today. I combined both sets of driving lights onto one battery attachment.

It is time. I've tweeked the OE horn and gotten a bit more volume out of it, but it is basically pathetic. Time to go for it. Stebel time!

Question on the wiring harness: the Eastern Beaver harness seems to be the way to go for fast, tidy installations. If you used the East Beav harness, did you find the standard kit (36" long battery leads) worked, or is the extra-long (60" leads) better??

pete

BTW, Stebel's website www.stebel.it/stebel/index2009/htm shows all their horns with sound samples. The "Brio" is a Nautilus-like horn with very cool Euro-style, exotic sportscar sounding warbles. The size might be just a tad too big for the ST but it would sound awesome!

Bike
ST1300A Police

One final question about the horn install... on the relay there is room for only one of the wires coming from the switch.. where does the other one go? I get sound with only one connected to the relay, but seems strange to let the other one just hang there.

Having some electrical problems and am going over all my wiring again.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #

Not sure what you mean by "on the relay there is room for only one of the wires coming from the switch". The relay has four pins; two (85 & 86) are for the +ve and ground connections from the switch, one (30) is for the fused hot wire from the battery, and one (87) goes to the horn. The other side of the horn then goes to ground. Do you have both the connections from the horn going to the relay?

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #

... on the relay there is room for only one of the wires coming from the switch.. where does the other one go? I get sound with only one connected to the relay, but seems strange to let the other one just hang there.
If it's the relay from Steibel, there are 4 leads... BUT, if it's another (like a BOSCH) it may have only 3.
Simple... the ground side for the button (85-86)and the ground side for the high current side (30 -87) are common. ( 86 and 87 are same ground or negitive side )

Since 87 is already grounded thru horn, the extra lead from the horn button is really mute... just wrap it up with elec tape and wire tie it out of way.

Test the relay with a meter or continuity (sp?) checker to verify ( you should also BE ABLE to hear the relay click if working right(without horn sounding of course))

Last edited:

PeterC

Repete
Bike
ST1100

Tried to reply and the thread just vanished. Can anyone tell me a good spot to put the stebel nautilus on a year 2000 ST1100 so that the horns can reach the outside from under all the fairing? Also does anyone know about the stebel smaller horns - the TM series specifically the paired TM 80/2LC electromagnetics- do they produce enough sound to wake up dopey cardrivers- there are everywhere especially in Australia and cannot see bikes. Any advice would be appeciated. Seems to be a great and helpful club. Repete

VFR

"Uncle Larry"

One final question about the horn install... on the relay there is room for only one of the wires coming from the switch.. where does the other one go? I get sound with only one connected to the relay, but seems strange to let the other one just hang there.

Having some electrical problems and am going over all my wiring again.

Come on guys, this isn't that difficult. Connect the original horn wires to 85 & 86 on the relay - doesn't matter which way. The fused power wire from the battery connects to 30. The horn connects to 87. Ground the other terminal on the horn. Use a tie-wrap to secure the relay to something nearby.

Stand Waaaaay back & push the button.

You also don't need to buy a kit from someone else to install this. All you need is a length of 14 ga wire, fuse holder & some terminals.

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

What is the minimum amount of fairing (plastic) that has to be removed for a typical install?

Bike
ST1300A Police

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I re-checked the wiring and it appears I grounded both the horn and the relay, that is why I was a prong short on the relay and had a leftover wire. Sometimes we make the simplest instructions more complicated than need be. All is fine now.

Yah, dont blast the horn in the garage.... ouch.

Bike
ST

Thank you for the great insight .I just finished puttin one in its easy to wire and it's a GREAT horn! Better than loud pipes to get attention.

The wiring diagram is simple and straight forward.My old horn came off and the very wires the came off the stock horn plugs into the relay for the new LOUD stebel.The kit come with a Horn, Relay and wireing directions.

I didn't remove all the tupperware just moved it aside enough to bolt the new horn behind the mirror. Thanks again! JIM:

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

I printed the pictures from the horn install, fairing removal and Eastern Beaver. Almost went smoothly. Using the Eastern Beaver harness instructions, Jim wrote that there was no polarity on the trigger (original wires from button) wires. My horn sounded absolutely anemic until I reversed the wires. It works!!

Bike
2005 ST 1300

Last night I followed Dano's instructions to the letter to install a new stebel horn on my ST. Thank you so much for the photos from your install. I set my laptop up beside the bike, and just followed the instructions. The tricky part was getting all the plastic off the right side, but once that was done, no problem.
And, good grief, that Stebel horn is loud! That's what I wanted!
I also installed my new Russell seat and took it for a spin. Wow! I love it! I'm getting ready to ride to the Ozark mountains next month. The seat will help me maintain my sweet disposition.
Thanks Dano!

Crossroadsrider
Odessa, TX

Bike
I do not have a bike
STOC #

I installed my horn last weekend. I needed new set of eyes to read instruction, they should have printed it on the postage stamp, and at least I could have used it later to mail my bills. I read all the tread here, not too much on mounting on ST1100, so I improvised on making the bracket and shoehorning (pun) it in. I used the Stables? relay, just mounted inside the router bit case I had in the garage, for protection. Rest was the history. I am happy on the sound, I hope it last, and I have not seen much on reliability of the unit itself. I hope some riders have it for many years of good service.

Petar :D

I installed my horn last weekend. I needed new set of eyes to read instruction, they should have printed it on the postage stamp, and at least I could have used it later to mail my bills. I read all the tread here, not too much on mounting on ST1100, so I improvised on making the bracket and shoehorning (pun) it in. I used the Stables? relay, just mounted inside the router bit case I had in the garage, for protection. Rest was the history. I am happy on the sound, I hope it last, and I have not seen much on reliability of the unit itself. I hope some riders have it for many years of good service.

Petar :D
The realibility is with the relay; DON'T USE IT, get another one.

Bike
ST1300

Dano,

I tried to fit the Stebel, but found nigh on impossible....then I remembered your post Woo Hoo!

Great pictures and instructions. Hardest part was the panels, job done in 2 hours.

Thanks, mate, :bow1:
Chris

Top Bottom