Article [13] ST1300 - Valve Adjust, Left Side

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #

21655.jpg
While performing the 48,000 mile valve check, I discovered one valve out of tolerance on the left side of the bike. Data from the prior two checks indicated the valve was moving tighter at a rate of 0.01/mm per 16,000 miles...and yes, it had moved out of spec by the time the 48,000 mile check rolled around.

I proceeded with the adjustment of the valve(s) on the Left side of the bike. Luckily, this is the 'easy' side to adjust since you can easily get to the Cam Chain Tensioner. While I was in there, I nominalized any other Valve that was getting close to the edge of tolerance.

Attached is an overview of the Valve adjustment on the Left side of the ST1300.

EDIT 5/28/13 - Photos of the right side adjustment can be found in my picture album (https://www.st-owners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=4010). Right side is performed essentially the same as left side with exception of accessing the cam chain tensioner screw (detailed in photos).

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
'89 Transalp
STOC #
Re: ST1300-Valve Adjust, Left Side

Mark, beautiful photography! Excellent write up... Wish we'd had it when we did my shims. Nice work; thank you.

Rod

RCS

Mark:

Great job and great pictures! The right side is just as easy.

I'm overly cautious when removing cams and like to put a felt tip pen mark on the cam chain and cam to ensure I realign them precisely on the exact teeth when re-assembling.

Great stuff!

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES

Very impressive write up. I should have stayed and learned first hand.........

Bike
'89 Transalp
STOC #

Mark:

Great job and great pictures! The right side is just as easy.

I'm overly cautious when removing cams and like to put a felt tip pen mark on the cam chain and cam to ensure I realign them precisely on the exact teeth when re-assembling.

Great stuff!
:plus1:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Now that is a nice write-up and some great pictures to go with it. This should make the job a lot easier for others to perform this. Thank you for posting!!! :wave1:

:usflag1:

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #

Mark, great writeup. I would only add a couple of things. First, as long as you have everything apart, write down the shim values for each valve. That way, if you ever need to change a shim in the future, you can determine what replacement shim you are going to need before you take things apart again. This can really be helpful if you don't have a shim kit to work with.

The second thing is that I don't think it is really necessary to replace the flange bolts like Honda would like you to. That's over $32 in cost for bolts that are just fine. I have even reused the copper sealing washers at times, just flipped them over from the position they were in. YMMV.

OP
OP
okmurdog

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Mark, great writeup. I would only add a couple of things. First, as long as you have everything apart, write down the shim values for each valve. That way, if you ever need to change a shim in the future, you can determine what replacement shim you are going to need before you take things apart again. This can really be helpful if you don't have a shim kit to work with.

The second thing is that I don't think it is really necessary to replace the flange bolts like Honda would like you to. That's over $32 in cost for bolts that are just fine. I have even reused the copper sealing washers at times, just flipped them over from the position they were in. YMMV.
You're right, I probably should have explicitly stated to record the shim values, even though I take this as a given once you're in there. I certainly recorded the 'old' and 'new' shim values.

Also, I didn't personally replace the flange bolts either, given the low torque values and distribution density of the bolts (low risk of the bolt being stretched and weakened IMO). However, I did replace the sealing washers. When writing the article, I felt obligated to put the info re the bolts and washers in there...notice in the article I stated 'as recommended by the service manual' :D

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #

Oustanding article Mark...If I still had the ST I'd be confident that I could change at the the left side Shims if needs....:headbang::headbang:

Bike
2007 ST1300

Thanks! have it on the list to check my valves over winter, 22K on the bike...

OP
OP
okmurdog

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #

I seem to remember when I adjusted the valves on my BMW F650 that someone came up with the idea to zip tie the cam gears to the cam chain and that made it easier. Does this make sense for the ST13?
Not really. The cams and cam gears need to be removed as an assembly away from the cam chain.

As someone suggested earlier, you could mark an index on the cam chain and cam gears with a sharpee before removal (might need to spot clean with alcohol to remove the oil before marking). As long as you were careful not to let the cam chain fall off the bottom drive sprocket, the index mark method would be a reliable way to ensure the timing was correct upon re-assembly. However, if the cam chain happens to fall off the bottom drive sprocket as you're pulling the cams, this method goes out the window.

On the other hand, the tooth spacing on the cam gears is coarse enough that it is easy to see if the timing is/is not correct if you follow a method to remove the chain slack from the drive side...which is the method I used. If the cam chain happens to fall off the bottom drive gear, this method would still work.

Bottom line, use any method you desire and double-check the timing before firing the engine!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

I seem to remember when I adjusted the valves on my BMW F650 that someone came up with the idea to zip tie the cam gears to the cam chain and that made it easier. Does this make sense for the ST13?
Yes but it depends on whether or not you have to pull both cams on one side at the same time. I recently went in to reshim 5 valves. All of them were exhaust valves so I placed a small zip tie through a hole in the intake cam gear and pulled it tight. I did not have to remove the intake cams for my job and left them zip tied like this while the exhaust cams came out. I don't think it is possible to do both cams like this at the same time - you kind of have to lift the back end of the cam up and move it slightly forward in order to lift the cam chain off and free the cam for removal. But it does work for one cam at a time. Like many prior threads and posters have advised, take the time to index the gears to each other and to the chain with a sharpie pen so you have multiple back ups to keep everything in time when reassembliing. I still got one gear one tooth off when reassembling but it was easily noticed and rectified because the gears and chain links were marked as well as the Honda stamped marks.

OP
OP
okmurdog

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #

You know what...I think the idea was to zip tie both cam gears to the chain and UNBOLT the gears from the shafts. Then remove the shafts. Maybe I think...

Yeah Im looking at the picture of the sides of the gears in the instructions. You would loosen the two bolts holding on the gears. Zip tie the chain to the gears. You would have to turn the engine so the marks dont line up but you could get the bolts out. That it wouldnt matter... as long as the chain doesnt slip off the crank gear!

Actually you could move the engine to remove one of the bolts from the gear. Then move it into position so the marks line up. Zip tie the chain to the gears. Then remove the last bolt. To do this it would have to be possible to turn the engine with one bolt in the gears.
IMO, if you zip tie the gears to the cam chain and unbolt the cams from the gears, you're creating more problems than just pulling the cams out as an assembly.

The factory index marks work without any problems...no need to go thru this trouble (IMHO).

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #

Great writeup! So do you guys really replace the flange bolts when you adjust valves?

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #

Great writeup! So do you guys really replace the flange bolts when you adjust valves?
checked/Adjusted 3X never replaced yet.
Last check had to reshim 7 exhaust valves. They were in spec last check at .009. There at 10 now.
Go figure used up shims 165 in kit. My kit now has Honda shims like 168, 160.

Last edited:
OP
OP
okmurdog

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #

I didn't replace the flange bolts (even though the service manual recommends). The torque values are relatively low, and the spacing of the bolts is relatively close - low risk of the bolts being stretched and damaged IMO.

I did replace the flange sealing washers. The old ones had a lot of score marks, and I didn't want to take the chance of leakage. The sealing washers are fairly soft, and you might be okay re-using them...I just chose to err on the conservative side for these.

Top Bottom