Article [13] ST1300 - Valve Adjust, Left Side

Re: ST1300-Valve Adjust, Left Side

What ever happened to hydraulic lifters. :think1:
:please1:
:tools1:

The way I basically understand it is that if you spin a motor to high rpms, solid lifters provide better performance and more precise control over the valves. Low rpm motors can use hydraulic lifters - high rpm motors benefit from solid or mechanical lifters.

The ST's V4 only spins to 9,000 rpm or so max but that is 3 or 4,000 more than V twins of similar displacement.

I adjusted the right side valves about a year ago, and stumbled across the photos on my computer a couple of days ago (forgot to upload them last year! LOL) - I uploaded the photos in my photo album (https://www.st-owners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=4010). The photos are numbered, along with a brief description about what is going on...although I don't think the photos are in order in the album.

Great photos, and sure appreciated your help when we adjusted mine! BTW, I still have the other half of your shim kit, which I can never remember to get back to you :eek:: .

Great photos, and sure appreciated your help when we adjusted mine! BTW, I still have the other half of your shim kit, which I can never remember to get back to you :eek:: .

Glad I could help! No sweat re the shim kit...I forgot about it too & obviously haven't missed it. Julie's bike is almost due the first valve check, although I doubt if any will need to be adjusted.

Back
Top Bottom