Sta-Lube Engine Assembly Lube with Moly-Graphite for greasing splines on rear wheel

Bike
2010 ST1300
Better too much than too little, from the perspective of your splines' needs. That being said, the loctite stuff is expensive.
Holy moley (Thank you, Radar), though I think for the purposes of this thread it should be Holy Moly! I just saw the Loctite on ebay for $77+! Sanity returned when I did a bit more of a search, Zoro sells it for $40.09. That works out to less than $1 per 5 gram application (per the HSM). Not cheap, but affordable. Lets see, 5 grams per 10,000 miles costs 0.01 cents per mile. As I said, affordable.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
It comes in two sizes, large $80 and small $40.
I go through a small jar of it every other month, but a small jar should last most folks the life of their bike.

OP
OP
SirSquid1300
Hi Everyone:

Glad I asked. Holy Moley! Talk about a picture that tells a thousand words. I applied some Sta-Lube CV joint Grease with Moly Disulfide to the splines and road the bike for about 20 or 25 miles. But after seeing those spline pictures, the bike is "grounded" until my Loctite Moly Paste comes in. Fifty five dollars was a bargain as opposed to having splines chewed through. Thank you everyone for your feedback regarding the moly paste. I should note that the Haynes manual recommends molybdenum disulphide grease OR paste. I'm starting to question whether I should buy a different shop manual at this point in time.

Do NOT use Grease (any kind) on your splines, or you'll be risking damage to your drive shaft assembly.
Get a service manual if you don't already have one, and follow the suggested recommendations on what to use, and where to use it. Your bike will thank you for it.
20180502_085504.jpg20180502_085543.jpg20180502_091338_1526924168964_001.jpg20180508_183704_1525832410849_001.jpg

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I found the Haynes, clymers, and such often outdated, and torque values all over the place.
Get a Honda service manual, you can probably get on downloaded on the forum, or find someone selling one cheap.

OP
OP
SirSquid1300
Do NOT use Grease (any kind) on your splines, or you'll be risking damage to your drive shaft assembly.
Get a service manual if you don't already have one, and follow the suggested recommendations on what to use, and where to use it. Your bike will thank you for it.
20180502_085504.jpg20180502_085543.jpg20180502_091338_1526924168964_001.jpg20180508_183704_1525832410849_001.jpg
I know, I know - you said not to use grease, but I used grease anyhow (stupid Haynes manual). I just replaced my tires and couldn't resist the temptation. I only rode the bike for 20 to 25 miles with the Sta-Lube CV Joint Grease. Do you think I'm totally screwed? Was that just enough to damage the splines? The Loc-Tite Moly Paste should be here on Friday. We'll find out then for sure.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You'll be fine.
Just be sure you clean all the grease out of everything before applying the moly paste.
I'm not sure where the Haynes manual tells you to apply it, but be sure you check the service manual first.
You need it on the male splines, female pumpkin splines, the Hub of the rim covering the O-ring, and inside the cup by the flange or driven bearings.
Do NOT put paste on the bearings or Axle.

Bike
VStrom 650
I know, I know - you said not to use grease, but I used grease anyhow (stupid Haynes manual). I just replaced my tires and couldn't resist the temptation. I only rode the bike for 20 to 25 miles with the Sta-Lube CV Joint Grease. Do you think I'm totally screwed? Was that just enough to damage the splines? The Loc-Tite Moly Paste should be here on Friday. We'll find out then for sure.
No you're not and whilst not wishing to make this thread any longer, God knows it's been covered enough already, the terminology of whether something is indeed a paste or grease is at best spurious and at worst totally misleading. Products will be advertised as pastes in some markets and greases in others. As far as I am aware there is no legislation which covers whether something is a paste or a grease. It doesn't really matter anyway because it's just a carrier for the Molybdenum Disulphide, any grease or paste will be forced out of the splines almost immediately leaving only the moly behind.
The 77 Honda product is described as paste and grease and often described as 77% Molybdenum Disulphide, I haven't got a clue what its correct description should be, but it's black, sticky and messy but then they all are. Some have said the 77 is runny or thin, this is not my experience of the product sold in the UK which can hardly be pushed out of the tube. Perhaps in other markets different manufacturers use different carriers for the same end result?
With the Loctite you have made a good choice as it appears to be a product which works well in this application and don't worry about the price, it's twice as expensive over here.
It is also worth noting that most failures are reported Stateside where your tyres tend to last 3 times as long and rear wheel maintenance is probably subsequently reduced compared to UK/EU locations.
Good luck with the Loctite.
Upt'North.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
No you're not and whilst not wishing to make this thread any longer, God knows it's been covered enough already, the terminology of whether something is indeed a paste or grease is at best spurious and at worst totally misleading. Products will be advertised as pastes in some markets and greases in others. As far as I am aware there is no legislation which covers whether something is a paste or a grease. It doesn't really matter anyway because it's just a carrier for the Molybdenum Disulphide, any grease or paste will be forced out of the splines almost immediately leaving only the moly behind.
The 77 Honda product is described as paste and grease and often described as 77% Molybdenum Disulphide, I haven't got a clue what its correct description should be, but it's black, sticky and messy but then they all are. Some have said the 77 is runny or thin, this is not my experience of the product sold in the UK which can hardly be pushed out of the tube. Perhaps in other markets different manufacturers use different carriers for the same end result?
With the Loctite you have made a good choice as it appears to be a product which works well in this application and don't worry about the price, it's twice as expensive over here.
It is also worth noting that most failures are reported Stateside where your tyres tend to last 3 times as long and rear wheel maintenance is probably subsequently reduced compared to UK/EU locations.
Good luck with the Loctite.
Upt'North.
A new tube of M-77 should be kneaded to mix it to a consistent thickness prior opening the cap and applying. That has been my experience with a couple of tubes.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Most of the grease(s) only have 3% moly solids in them, while the paste(s) have anywhere from 42% to 60% moly solids in them, so when the grease (carrier) washes out, you have a choice of 3% or 60% left. You pay your dollar, you take your chance :twocents1:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
nah, they don't "last" longer, they just keep them on till the carcass shows... ;)

Bike
VStrom 650
Most of the grease(s) only have 3% moly solids in them, while the paste(s) have anywhere from 42% to 60% moly solids in them, so when the grease (carrier) washes out, you have a choice of 3% or 60% left. You pay your dollar, you take your chance :twocents1:
Larry, I'm not picking an argument, I'm firmly in the Loctite camp because I can read it's spec sheet and can see its apparently acceptable to use and I do so.
However read this if you want to get my point, it calls 77 grease and paste and 60 grease. You can't read anything into a grease or paste description because the fools that sell it don't have a clue. But I do wish Loctite was cheaper to buy over here.
And this tube of 77 clearly has "PASTE" on the tube.......NOT GREASE.
Upt'North.

HONDA MOLY 60 / M-77 ASSEMBLY PASTE GREASE 75G 2.65OZ

ITEM DESCRIPTION
HONDA Moly 60 / M-77 Assembly Paste. This M-77 paste has replaced the original Molly 60 moly grease formula. Contents are solid and will not seperate at room temperature. Recommended for gears, bearings and other high-pressure/high-temperature applications. 75g tube / 2.65oz.

MANUFACTURERGenuine Honda
SKU (PRODUCT CODE)08798-9010

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
It does appear that there is a difference between paste and grease as used in the industry, so there may be a specification in some engineering standards manual somewhere. A quick Google comes up with several links and they tend to say the same kind of thing.

Bike
VStrom 650
It does appear that there is a difference between paste and grease as used in the industry, so there may be a specification in some engineering standards manual somewhere. A quick Google comes up with several links and they tend to say the same kind of thing.

So Moly 77 is paste then?
Because it says so on the tube?
I know, who cares.
Thank god it's beer o'clock here. I'll be in the Black Bull if I'm needed.
Upt'North.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Larry, I'm not picking an argument, I'm firmly in the Loctite camp because I can read it's spec sheet and can see its apparently acceptable to use and I do so.
However read this if you want to get my point, it calls 77 grease and paste and 60 grease. You can't read anything into a grease or paste description because the fools that sell it don't have a clue. But I do wish Loctite was cheaper to buy over here.
And this tube of 77 clearly has "PASTE" on the tube.......NOT GREASE.
Upt'North.

HONDA MOLY 60 / M-77 ASSEMBLY PASTE GREASE 75G 2.65OZ

ITEM DESCRIPTION
HONDA Moly 60 / M-77 Assembly Paste. This M-77 paste has replaced the original Molly 60 moly grease formula. Contents are solid and will not seperate at room temperature. Recommended for gears, bearings and other high-pressure/high-temperature applications. 75g tube / 2.65oz.

MANUFACTURERGenuine Honda
SKU (PRODUCT CODE)08798-9010
Recommend for gears and bearings etc.
Paste is not used on those applications, and notice it does not mention splines?
In post #11 you will also read that it is called for where grease is used.
The factory service manual has several little pictures stating what to use and where. It clearly calls for the heavier paste on splines, or it would just recommend grease instead.
In several Honda car service manuals the M77 is used for the back of brake pads etc.
Like you, I like knowing what’s in it, and don’t trust marketing, as the companies making it is probably told by Honda what phrase to use for advertising etc.
I have not seen a failure yet with the old Honda moly 60, or the loctite stuff, but have personally seen several damaged splines on newer bikes that are using the M77.
On average if I see six to eight open rear wheels per month, and never used to see any spline wear, then all of a sudden, (when M77 was introduced) start seeing half a dozen damaged splines on 09 and newer bikes, in the matter of a few months, that is enough to cause concern for me at least.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Yeah, I would be concerned as well.
I'm in no hurry to buy any new rear drive components, be they hub, shaft, inner hub, pumpkin, or such.
Forgive the lack of proper terminology, but I'm sure you get my drift.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Across the big picture Honda MC shops worldwide see hundreds or perhaps thousands of wheels a month. If there was a problem with the spline lubricant Honda specifies for this application we would have heard about it.

It's good that there are other choices for this application if you don't want to use the Honda product. Across the choices to be had, Honda splined hub drive motorcycles just don't exhibit final drive spline wear problems. Statistically, it's a non event unlike that of certain BMW models.

Years ago on this forum Bel-Ray Assembly Lube w/moly had it's run in the sun and ST's survived :)

Top Bottom