Stinger Folding Motorcycle Trailer

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have seen a few members here have Stinger folding trailers. I am planning to start spending our long, cold Canadian winter in Palm Springs starting next winter. I will be driving our SUV 1500 miles from Calgary to California. I am seriously considering buying the Stinger folding trailer to haul my ST1300 because of its small size for storage. I won't have any space where we are staying to store a traditional trailer, so its either a small foldable one, or rent a U-Haul.

For those that have them, what are your long-term experiences with the Stinger? Are there other foldable trailers I should be looking at?

The Stinger is not cheap at CAD $2,000, but renting a U-Haul trailer is over CAD$300 one-way, so the payback on the Stinger is about 3 years.

Here is a link to the Canadian Stinger site.

https://ca.stingertrailer.com/product/stinger-folding-trailer/

Bike
2010 ST1300
With a weight capacity of 1700 lbs and one motorcycle, it certainly sounds like its well built. Never seen one, so I cannot say anything about it, but with that carrying capacity, I'd have expected a two bike trailer. Oh, and 80 mph towing speed? Good thing that is not a recommendation....:rofl1:

Bike
burgman 650/2010 st
I have been using a early model stinger for at least 25,000 miles with no problems. Travel from NJ to Fla and back. 75 mph no problem. Grease the bearings for each use. Good to go.

Bike
2006 ST1300
That looks like a nice, purpose built trailer. It'll likely haul very nicely. For those of us with less $$$, there is another alternative. Harbor Freight has a folding trailer which can be had for about 249USD. I borrowed one from a fellow forum member, and towed from here in Canton ( just NW of Atlanta) up to northern Ohio. Hauled faultlessly, and did the job admirably. I had to build a ramp for it, since it did not include one. It folds in the middle, and actually has wheels to move it around in it's folded mode. It does require a bit of work to assemble, and attach the plywood deck, but it's not bad. Just an idea!

Zaphod

“Vell, Zaphod’s just zis guy, you know?”
Bike
2016 Goldwing F6B
STOC #
Don’t know about the Stinger, but we’ve had a Kendon single stand-up trailer for a few years.
Loading and unloading is a bit fraught ‘cause of the narrow ramp, but otherwise works well for my ST1300 or wife’s GoldWing F6B.
Had a small issue with the rotating portion of the front-wheel chock touching the lower leading edge of the fairing on the ST.
We’ve towed from Florida to Ontario with it.
Folded up it stores is a very small space.

https://www.kendonusa.com/product/single-stand-up-motorcycle-trailer/

We’re now looking at a Baxley trailer so we can tow both bikes.

Bike
2007 ST1300
That looks like a nice, purpose built trailer. It'll likely haul very nicely. For those of us with less $$$, there is another alternative. Harbor Freight has a folding trailer which can be had for about 249USD. I borrowed one from a fellow forum member, and towed from here in Canton ( just NW of Atlanta) up to northern Ohio. Hauled faultlessly, and did the job admirably. I had to build a ramp for it, since it did not include one. It folds in the middle, and actually has wheels to move it around in it's folded mode. It does require a bit of work to assemble, and attach the plywood deck, but it's not bad. Just an idea!
These trailers get pretty good reviews however there is an issue bringing them into Canada The HF store in Buffalo NY has a sign up warning Canadians of this If you go this route do your homework first If it weren't for the border issue i would have bought one if the HF trailer is appealing you may want to check out hts trailers They have a simililar folding railer to the HF trailer for around $1000 ( not so similar price) they do ship

Last edited:

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
I have this model of Kendon and enjoy it. I did find it used for under $1000 and had to refurbish and repaint it.
https://www.kendonusa.com/product/dual-ride-up-srl-folding-motorcycle-trailer/
1EEC11A0-2EBD-46B1-85E5-9127D7E5E181.jpeg

I tow it with my 2007 Hybrid Camry and have over 4000 miles of towing with 0 issues. It has torsion springs and tows like it isn’t there. The only issue is loading. I use a different ramp than the one supplied with the trailer and that’s solved that issue. It’s a really fantastic little trailer and I’m happy to loan it if need be.

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I have been looking for an enclosed , one-place aluminum or fiberglass trailer , just big enough for a GoldWing or ST1300 inside . I saw one years ago but do not remember the ( U.S. ) Mfg. name . I was hoping someone on this forum might have a lead . ( I have seen a lot of the much larger "cargo" trailers in aluminum but this was a minimal size with decent ( like 15" ) diameter wheels )

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Thanks for the lead , this guy is in process of moving & merging with someone else , not sure if this trailer will be continued in production , would be shame if it doesn't - $7500 previously. Pennsylvania

Another I found today , nice looking aero one(s) is from www.ironhorsetrailers.com about same price , singles & doubles , in Tennessee , older steel & ~150 lb lighter - newer aluminum framed.

Bike
CTX1300
STOC #
My son had a Stinger trailer. always towed it with a bike on it with no problems. Had no more use for it and gave it to me . Went up to NC to pick it up with my F150. Hitched it up and got on I40. At 55 mph it swayed so bad nobody would pass me. checked everything, nothing wrong. Gave it back. He had never towed it without a bike on it. Double checked everything and hitched up to his Ram truck. Same results. Put his Wing on it and it towed perfect at 80mph. Just sayin.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Hitched it up and got on I40. At 55 mph it swayed so bad nobody would pass me. checked everything, nothing wrong.... Put his Wing on it and it towed perfect at 80mph. Just sayin.
Sounds like the balance was off. Not enough tongue weight without the bike.

OP
OP
Jjonahjamison
Bike
2007 ST1300
Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't need to buy until September, so if anyone else wants to chime in on their experience with foldable trailers, please share.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Thanks for the lead , this guy is in process of moving & merging with someone else , not sure if this trailer will be continued in production , would be shame if it doesn't - $7500 previously. Pennsylvania

Another I found today , nice looking aero one(s) is from www.ironhorsetrailers.com about same price , singles & doubles , in Tennessee , older steel & ~150 lb lighter - newer aluminum framed.
Bought this one the other day , top pivots up to allow you access when you ride up the rear ramp . - IronHorseTrailers.com - McMinnville , Tenn. , Single bike model is about 900 lbs empty ,
14 " wheel rims. ----- ( they took the Harley sticker OFF for me ! ) ----- My Outback pulled it easily back to Michigan.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Bought this one the other day , top pivots up to allow you access when you ride up the rear ramp . - IronHorseTrailers.com - McMinnville , Tenn. , Single bike model is about 900 lbs empty ,
14 " wheel rims.
Trailer 1 c.jpgTrailer 2 c.jpgTrailer 3 c.jpgTrailer 5 c.jpg
Very nice trailer, congrats. :thumb:

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
14 " wheel rims. ----- ( they took the Harley sticker OFF for me ! ) ----- My Outback pulled it easily back to Michigan.
Trailer 1 c.jpgTrailer 2 c.jpgTrailer 3 c.jpgTrailer 5 c.jpg
Now THAT is a slick looking rig! I like it!

Pete

OP
OP
Jjonahjamison
Bike
2007 ST1300
Just got my new Stinger trailer, ready for the 2500 km trip down to California at the end of October.
Question for anyone who has one, or similar. The manufacturer says that 15% of the total trailer+bike weight should be on the tongue. The trailer weighs 320 lbs, and the ST is around 700, so call it 1000 lbs total. I have moved the wheel chock back (from what you see in the pictures) to the furthest rear position to move the weight off the tongue and onto the axle. Using a bathroom scale it looks like about 220 lbs is still on the tongue. Any issues with this amount of weight? I could add some gear as ballast behind the bike, and I probably will load my camping bag onto the passenger seat which will make a tiny bit of difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom