Stinger Folding Motorcycle Trailer

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Just got my new Stinger trailer, ready for the 2500 km trip down to California at the end of October.
Question for anyone who has one, or similar. The manufacturer says that 15% of the total trailer+bike weight should be on the tongue. The trailer weighs 320 lbs, and the ST is around 700, so call it 1000 lbs total. I have moved the wheel chock back (from what you see in the pictures) to the furthest rear position to move the weight off the tongue and onto the axle. U243401243402sing a bathroom scale it looks like about 220 lbs is still on the tongue. Any issues with this amount of weight? I could add some gear as ballast behind the bike, and I probably will load my camping bag onto the passenger seat which will make a tiny bit of difference.
It looks like the trailer's axle is way too far aft.

Bike
VStrom 650
Just got my new Stinger trailer, ready for the 2500 km trip down to California at the end of October.
Question for anyone who has one, or similar. The manufacturer says that 15% of the total trailer+bike weight should be on the tongue. The trailer weighs 320 lbs, and the ST is around 700, so call it 1000 lbs total. I have moved the wheel chock back (from what you see in the pictures) to the furthest rear position to move the weight off the tongue and onto the axle. U243401243402sing a bathroom scale it looks like about 220 lbs is still on the tongue. Any issues with this amount of weight? I could add some gear as ballast behind the bike, and I probably will load my camping bag onto the passenger seat which will make a tiny bit of difference.
To be honest I'm amazed it's only 220 on the nose. That axle sits way back.
If you can't move the bike back anymore and I'm guessing your SO wouldn't volunteer to sit on the rear of the trailer to the destination I'm at a loss at what you could do except put ballast at the rear. But then you've got to tow that too.
:think1:.
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650
It looks like the front wheel lock will go back some more, is that the case.
If so I think the rear wheel of the bike needs to be slightly aft of the trailer axle.
Upt'North.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
That looks WAY too tongue heavy to me ! Hard on tow vehicle suspension , tires .-- I like to be able to lift tongue with one arm myself , been using trailers since early '70's , without swaying around .

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I know very little about towing a trailer so maybe someone can explain. It seems like there are two parts to the 10-15% equation – maximum tongue weight for the tow vehicle (also type of hitch /weight distribution or not) and weight distribution within/on the trailer.

Too little tongue weight affects the trailer's stability ie sway. How does too much tongue weight affect the trailer's stability? For the purpose of discussion let's assume the toe vehicle is anything from an F-350/GMC 3500 or similar – point being the tow vehicle's suspension and tires are more than up to the task. Obviously something with a fifth wheel – or a tractor could exceed 15%.

Granted being able to lift the trailer off the hitch with one hand is a plus but not always a necessity. If the tongue weight is safely within the tow vehicle's capacity then how does tongue weight exceeding the 10-15% recommendation affect the trailer's (or tow vehicle's) stability?

Last edited:
Bike
'13 FLTRX, '08 FXDL
@Jjonahjamison

Assuming your Venza has a class-3 hitch on it, you're fine as far as the vehicle/hitch combination goes. I don't see any limits posted on the tongue of your trailer but I bet it's rated limit is stamped (or otherwise noted) somewhere.

The 10-15% they're giving you is a guide-line, not a hard and fast rule. You don't want to exceed the specifications of your towing gear but you do want the trailer to stay stable at speed.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a hard time justifying a "One purpose" trailer, so I use a utility trailer and modify it to carry my bike and the ramp to get the bike on & off!

A few years ago I replaced my HF trailer with a 5x8 I found off Craig's List.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
with one hand is a plus but not always a necessity. If the tongue weight is safely within the tow vehicle's capacity then how does tongue weight exceeding the 10-15% recommendation affect the trailer's (or tow vehicle's) stability?
Too much tongue,
It'll feel very similar to not enough tounge weight, change lanes and the trailer will follow but wiggling as it goes.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Sounds like the balance was off. Not enough tongue weight without the bike.
They recommend not to tow it empty. It will haul any bike you can load onto it. Low to the ground for an easy one person load.

Here is how I roll empty...

At work...

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
It being low, helps in the loading...but just don't hit any driveways too hard! :eek:

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
It being low, helps in the loading...but just don't hit any driveways too hard! :eek:
I expected it to drag constantly, but it hasn't been much of a problem. As far as tongue weight, I assumed, maybe wrongly, that the 10-15% guidance was a min and not a max. Mine is clearly tongue heavy and it towed like a dream at interstate speeds with my light weight poverty model base Tacoma. No stability issues. The chock won't go back farther without modifying the trailer. It was built to tow a motorcycle, and they are the ones who mounted the wheel chock. I'm just going with it like it is.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I once read a trailer design book because I had the mistaken idea that building my own would be cheaper and more fun than buying one*. This book said 1/3 of the trailer's load should be forward of the axle, and suggested designing the trailer so that this would be the case. This is obviously difficult if your trailer will haul varying loads, and generally speaking, 10 to 15% of the trailer's gross weight (loaded) should be on the tongue. A light tongue will result in an unstable trailer, it will wander and weave behind the tow vehicle, a heavy tongue, as long as the tow vehicles suspension can handle the load, will have no adverse effects on the trailer. Note that for most of us towing a bike or two, the tongue weight will be well under 500#, a weight that most passenger cars can easily handle (think what passengers in the rear seat and luggage puts on the rear of a car) and one that pickups and larger SUV's would laugh at.
*More fun, maybe, cheaper, no way.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I once read a trailer design book because I had the mistaken idea that building my own would be cheaper and more fun than buying one*. This book said 1/3 of the trailer's load should be forward of the axle, and suggested designing the trailer so that this would be the case. This is obviously difficult if your trailer will haul varying loads, and generally speaking, 10 to 15% of the trailer's gross weight (loaded) should be on the tongue. A light tongue will result in an unstable trailer, it will wander and weave behind the tow vehicle, a heavy tongue, as long as the tow vehicles suspension can handle the load, will have no adverse effects on the trailer. Note that for most of us towing a bike or two, the tongue weight will be well under 500#, a weight that most passenger cars can easily handle (think what passengers in the rear seat and luggage puts on the rear of a car) and one that pickups and larger SUV's would laugh at.
*More fun, maybe, cheaper, no way.

I tested my new trailer on my way to WeSTOC in Reno Nevada. Chris insisted we go to Cedar City (this was before we bought our property in 2018) before heading to Reno. That meant we had to drive across the Nevada desert to get to Reno. First of all, there is NOTHING out there between Cedar City and Reno, except two lane highways that go for miles and miles, before finding a gas station. I had the Highlander running at 80 MPH most of that and the trailer was like it wasn't even there.

So I guess where I mounted that tire chock was the perfect place! :thumb:

OP
OP
Jjonahjamison
Bike
2007 ST1300
Thanks guys. And thanks beemerphile for showing me your Stinger setup. I agree, if they designed it that way (including for heavy bikes), and they have sold lots without complaint, it must be ok. My trailer is a slightly different unit, where the wheel chock can be moved aft by about a foot, which I have done to reduce the tongue weight. Once I load my stuff on the bike I expect the tongue weight will be about 200 lbs, which it seems should be just fine. I will also make sure that the fuel tank is fairly empty while towing. Just gotta make sure we don’t take too much heavy stuff in the vehicle, given we will be gone for 5 months and the my wife’s natural inclination will be to take everything, including the kitchen sink...

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Old thread, but it seemed like a good place to post this...

I've looked at a few trailers and the Stinger appeals to me the most. I assume I would need to register it and install plates, but I didn't see any plates in the pictures.

Are there any other legalities I should be aware of?

dhall854

Retired, ready to RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Question for anyone who has one, or similar. The manufacturer says that 15% of the total trailer+bike weight should be on the tongue. The trailer weighs 320 lbs, and the ST is around 700, so call it 1000 lbs total. I have moved the wheel chock back (from what you see in the pictures) to the furthest rear position to move the weight off the tongue and onto the axle. Using a bathroom scale it looks like about 220 lbs is still on the tongue. Any issues with this amount of weight? I could add some gear as ballast behind the bike, and I probably will load my camping bag onto the passenger seat which will make a tiny bit of difference.
I don’t see an issue with that tongue weight. It should travel fine. You do have a 3500lb hitch on that Venza, right?

By the way, great tow vehicle! I have a 2014 Venza XLE AWD V6 and absolutely LOVE IT!

OP
OP
Jjonahjamison
Bike
2007 ST1300
Old thread, but it seemed like a good place to post this...

I've looked at a few trailers and the Stinger appeals to me the most. I assume I would need to register it and install plates, but I didn't see any plates in the pictures.

Are there any other legalities I should be aware of?
The Stinger comes with papers for registration, and has bolts for a plate in the appropriate place on the underside of the ramp (which flips up while in motion). I haven’t actually registered it yet, but did put an old tent trailer plate for appearances while street testing it. I don’t anticipate any issues registering it in Alberta, but will let you know if there are any issues.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
The Stinger comes with papers for registration, and has bolts for a plate in the appropriate place on the underside of the ramp (which flips up while in motion). I haven’t actually registered it yet, but did put an old tent trailer plate for appearances while street testing it. I don’t anticipate any issues registering it in Alberta, but will let you know if there are any issues.
Thanks.

We have taken many long distance trips, but have had a few days spoiled by weather. Most recently, we went around the Gaspe peninsula. I was looking forward to the coastline road (route 132) and that was the day we had a serious storm actually forcing me off the road to wait out the worst of it.

So now we're thinking about towing the bike to a location where we can take excursions if the weather cooperates. Towing a vehicle that was meant to be ridden feels a little like admitting that we're not as tough as when we were younger, but I guess that's pretty much the reality of the situation.

Top Bottom