Stinger Folding Motorcycle Trailer

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Towing a vehicle that was meant to be ridden feels a little like admitting that we're not as tough as when we were younger, but I guess that's pretty much the reality of the situation.
Towing because you are not as tough as you used to be or ...........
towing because you are wiser now and choose to pick the the times to ride that allow the maximum enjoyment without having to suffer the less enjoyable times?
All in how you look at it.

OP
OP
Jjonahjamison
Bike
2007 ST1300
I don’t see an issue with that tongue weight. It should travel fine. You do have a 3500lb hitch on that Venza, right?

By the way, great tow vehicle! I have a 2014 Venza XLE AWD V6 and absolutely LOVE IT!
Yup, got the 3500 lb hitch. I used to haul a 2000 lb+ tent trailer with the Venza, and it did just fine. With the tent trailer it was pretty easy to manage the tongue weight, just load the heavy camping gear fore or aft, as needed. Given everyone’s comments, and the fact that my test tows felt just fine, I will drive on with the 220 lb tongue weight.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Towing because you are not as tough as you used to be or ...........
Or you bought a bike 1000 miles away and need to get it home. I swore off commercial flights since they suspended the 4th Amendment. The last bikes I have dragged home to Georgia have been from Pennsylvania (twice), Arkansas, and Tennessee. I delivered two BMW's that I sold to Valdosta, GA and Charlotte, NC.

I'm towing because I am no longer tough enough to manhandle 700 lb. motorcycles up a ramp into the back of my pickup truck solo without risking a YouTube moment.

nctater.JPG

k11tater.JPG

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
We've pretty much decided that we're going to tow the ST from NJ to Nova Scotia this coming summer, find a nice B&B and take day trips from there.

What hasn't been decided is HOW to tow the ST. I really like the looks of the Stinger, but I don't have a good place to store it so I may rent a U-Haul trailer. I'd love to hear if anyone has experience with these trailers.

I'd also love to hear if anyone know of a trailer that's lighter than the Stinger that I could maneuver into my back yard through a 4' gate. The Stinger is over 200 lbs and I don't think I can move it into the back yard. The front yard or driveway is not an option where I live,

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I used a U-haul trailer to get my ST1300 home after my accident in 2015 , from Iowa to Michigan , one way ,,, those rental trailers are made HEAVY & it was only a open flatbed . And they want you to keep your speed down using them .

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I have used the UHaul trailers a few times. As @TourNut said they are heavy and plastered with Speed Limit 55 stickers. Also, you must return them to the same location you picked them up. But they are solid, offer plenty of anchor points for tie downs, and feature an integrated "chock", of sorts, for the front wheel.

OP
OP
Jjonahjamison
Bike
2007 ST1300
We've pretty much decided that we're going to tow the ST from NJ to Nova Scotia this coming summer, find a nice B&B and take day trips from there.

What hasn't been decided is HOW to tow the ST. I really like the looks of the Stinger, but I don't have a good place to store it so I may rent a U-Haul trailer. I'd love to hear if anyone has experience with these trailers.

I'd also love to hear if anyone know of a trailer that's lighter than the Stinger that I could maneuver into my back yard through a 4' gate. The Stinger is over 200 lbs and I don't think I can move it into the back yard. The front yard or driveway is not an option where I live,
I recently bought the Stinger 112 XL. Hauled it 1500 miles from Calgary to California, and it towed like a dream going 80+ miles an hour. Pulled it with my V6 Toyota Venza. We are in a park model golf course community, and have very little parking area. This necessitated that I have not only a foldIng trailer, but one that folds vertically. For scale, the red car in the pictures is a golf cart.

You can see in the second photo that there is a small nose-wheel. It is super easy to push and move into position. If the ground through your 4 foot gate is hard and reasonably flat (paved would be best), you could easily three-point-turn it through the gate, shimmying side to side. If there is gravel through the gate, or the ground is uneven, one person could shimmy the thing, not using the nose wheel, but just balancing it upright on the two large tires. I manhandled up and down a curb this way without difficulty.

The real issue with the Stinger is the cost. All-in it was $2600 Canadian. It is well built, easy to load and if you are tight on space, it is the answer.

Having rented a number of U-haul trailers over the years, I concur that they are heavy beasts and you are limited to going about 55-60 mph, at least with something less powerful than a fullsize truck.

Attachments

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
The real issue with the Stinger is the cost. All-in it was $2600 Canadian. It is well built, easy to load and if you are tight on space, it is the answer.
Looks like a great trailer. The folding capability and the space it then takes for storage is amazing.

When I went looking for a trailer I quickly realized that the big box trailers, starting at about $900 for painted steel and then about $1,400 for a galvanized model for the 6' by 10' model I wanted were very flimsy and seemed to be cheaply made. The unit you have is a quality one that will give you many years of good service and you'll get a good chunk of your investment back when/if you decide to sell it.

Top Bottom