Strap your stuff on good...

No bungee or hooks of any kind for me. Quality nylon webbing and genuine FasTex buckles. Crossed straps through bags' webbing loops or carry handles, AND parallel straps on the ends. Tens of thousands of miles that way, including an Arctic Circle trip. This is a safety issue. Murphy's Law...

FWIW and YMMV of course.

John
via iPhone 4S

I lost a sleeping bag last year as well, it was tied down with two straps which I believe I put on wrong since they loosened over two or three hour ride, for good measure I put an elastic web over it. The bag worked it's way out and and the elastic web was totally destroyed luckily a fellow rider motioned me to pull over and we where able to secure the second sleeping bag before it bounced into the ditch. It happened on an expressway so the cost of the bag and the danger of trying to find it with fast moving traffic a few feet away seemed not to be worth the risks, just looked at it as the cost of education.

Gerhard

I learned years ago about the rubber straps, they develop cracks and fail completely. Was the strap gone when you got home? If you have another one stretch it out and look for cracks, then throw them all in the trash.

I've used the crossover method from the beginning. Used a type of a nylon, pull tight, straps, and I have had them come loose. I'm curious as to the reasoning for NOT using the crossover method. I haven't lost anything YET and don't want too either.

I think with the crossover method, strap connected from left side of bike to right side AT AN ANGLE means if either connection point moves forward or backwards you'll have some slack introduced.

I only connect one strap on one side, strap parallel to bike and make sure the connection points either don't move or are at a minimal position for movement, meaning slide them in any direction causes MORE tension, not less.

I put all my camping gear into a Wolfman Dry bag and then use two Rokstaps running parallel to the bike to hold down the bag. The Rokstraps are fed through the D loops in the Wolfman bag so they cannot move sideways.
2014_05_0005.jpg

2014_08_0002.jpg

If you're using the parallel straps method and one side comes loose, especially if using hooks instead of heavy duty locking buckles or caribiner locking-gate style anchor points, the bag will be levered right on off to the other side. With a cross strap you'll have the bag still secured through the center of mass and force applied across the whole width of the saddle or rack. That's my take on it. I add the parallel straps to stop all movement. FWIW

I'm an old parachute rigger and make my own straps, and know they won't fail.

John
via iPhone 4S

Last edited:
I use the Rokstraps in parallel fashion on a waterproof stuff sack. Then I tie the slack ends of each together to prevent a strap from sliding off the end. I've had that happen several times on dual sport trips before I adopted that extra knot. On most of my rides, I change locations every day and the rokstraps make it just that little bit easier every morning to strap everything on.

The cheapie bungie nets work pretty well too though I usually use one in addition to the rokstraps. The nets only last a season or so but are handy for securing wet laundry or my solar charger onto the stuff sack.

Never cross your roc straps unless you're a stunt rider. if you are then it should be OK for a 10,000 ride to the northern wildness and back.

I think some of it depends on how wide your load is across the seat. I run a very narrow soft load as shown here. No way inline straps will work.

YMMV, see what I'm saying, know what I mean, you'd do the same thing too, I smell what your stepping in.....

Raymond

Attachments

• stunts.jpg
    stunts.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 76
Rockstaps......used them crossed or parallel and have never lost a load. My mind? Well, that's another matter.
Mike

Rockstaps......used them crossed or parallel and have never lost a load. My mind? Well, that's another matter.
Mike
A----My mind is getting closer to needing one of those "I've fallen & can't get up" things.

B----Does Mellow always smile like that?????

C----The closest thing I ever came to a "strap" was when I was a little kid and my grandfather caught me coming back across the street...AFTER...he told me not to go over to the other side of the street.. Razor strap....butt....I think you're talking about something else here.

That's how I do it too:

Big%20Bend%2011-2014_5060-L.jpg

Joe,
How does the Alien get secured ?
One of the Pardeevlle Jim's

PS: I use all of the methods described to deliver the 3 or 4 pies to the Pardeeville Tech. Check before leaving, check before getting on the highway (5mi), check the mirrors often, check every time I stop, pray and check again.

I lost a Sea to Summit dry sack holding our gear liners last summer. Luckily I saw it spinning down the road behind us and I went back to retrieve it. After that I bought some 1.5" velcro strapping from Jo-Ann Fabrics in Moscow, ID to wrap around the bag and through the handle in a T configuration. I haven't had a problem with the replacement bag moving since.

I think y'all put some kind of hex on me. After saying I've used the crossover method for years, and not having any problems....on the way down to Moonshine, I had my bag, stuffed with old fluffy military sleeping bag....just to rest my back against....strapped on seat. Thinking my mirror was out of adjustment, it dawned on me I was about to lose my bag. Just barely made it into a lot before it fell off. Came loose once more in Mattoon too. On the way home I changed it over to parallel, and didn't have any more problems. Can't figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom