Strap your stuff on good...

I think y'all put some kind of hex on me. After saying I've used the crossover method for years, and not having any problems....on the way down to Moonshine, I had my bag, stuffed with old fluffy military sleeping bag....just to rest my back against....strapped on seat. Thinking my mirror was out of adjustment, it dawned on me I was about to lose my bag. Just barely made it into a lot before it fell off. Came loose once more in Mattoon too. On the way home I changed it over to parallel, and didn't have any more problems. Can't figure it out.

Isn't that the way it always works?? ;-) BTW, Mattoon was my old stomping grounds when I was a young man. Grew up in and around Windsor (farm) and Mattoon was where we hung out, etc. LOL

I told ya......no cross over. Only parallel. No wiggles that way. I will remove the hex now...

T

I have 100% confidence in my method:
110 litre back on back seat
Use 2 of the 18' to 60' ROK straps crossed over.
Use 2 of the 18' to 60' ROK straps parallel to the bike.
If a strap fails then OK, I still have 3 others to keep the bag in place.

I am using a large bag with a LOT of stuff in it, I'm not keen on taking any chances.
I could grab my bag and pull my bike over to the ground and the bag wouldn't move from the bike! I'm talking ROK solid here!

I also use the same bag and same straps on the large rear rack on my DR650, also 100% ROK solid!

I always use bungees to attach a bag to the seat,I figured with the top box behind it would be fairly secure,time to reconsider.

I'm going to put a rok strap giveaway on the site - 1 set every week for the next 5 weeks, to help kick off the riding/camping/traveling season.

I lost a Walmart drybag that had my tent in it returning from OkieSTOC. I had been strapping my gear to a flat rear carrier with parallel ratchet straps. The drybag probably had too much air inside it and deflated due to the tension in the straps. Try finding your gear in the twisties; it probably rolled off the side of the mountain.

Well, anyway, the main discussion in this thread was whether you should you strap your gear with parallel straps, or should the straps be crossed? Well, If you don't put your straps through the handles or loops on your gear, you will lose your gear.

It's not so bad I have another tent, so this loss did not put me out of business.

Last edited:
Well, anyway, the main discussion in this thread was whether you should you strap your gear with parallel straps, or should the straps be crossed?

Buy 2 pairs, 1 pair parallel and 1 pair crossed. With ROK straps you can tighten them and the elastic section helps to maintain tension.
I swear I could pick my DR650 up by the roll top bag strapped to my rear rack - that bag once strapped on is VERY solid!

Are you saying this is not the proper way to secure a load?

Attachments

• DSCN4585_zpsaob5khhw.jpg
    DSCN4585_zpsaob5khhw.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 53
Buy 2 pairs, 1 pair parallel and 1 pair crossed. With ROK straps you can tighten them and the elastic section helps to maintain tension.

Since I had used ratchet straps and they loosened because the dry bag had too much air inside, I suppose that ROK straps would have been better.

Your TWO-UP ride looks more like TWO-UP-UP-UP-UP-UP... :D
Or your pillion prefers "balcony" view? :D

When I flew up to Portland to pick up the new bike, I had taken my RDL with me (in a suitcase). That was how I brought the original front saddle back with me! :D

Back
Top Bottom