Stupid way to test a battery :-(

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Extra keys and cables here too - after an experience similar to yours. Now I'll never need them ... ;-)

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
Chuck, your advise "Remember: When jumping a motorcycle from a car battery, the Car MUST BE OFF (NOT RUNNING) or you take the chance of the car's charging system damaging the motorcycle charging system. " would be correct for many motorcycles including a KLR but is incorrect for all ST1100 & 1300. The ST bikes use controlled field regulation, or if one prefers, automotive type alternators which are not affected at all by having the other vehicle running. All that will happen will be that the system having the higher voltage regulator set point will attempt to carry the electrical load of both systems by way of the jumpers. In practice both tend to charge to some degree.

Your point is correct for motorcycles, power equipment and many outboard motors which use loading of the electrical system to prevent over voltage. I have posted some longer explanations on My-Mc, DSN_KLR650 and other web groups if someone is interested.

I carry jumper cables and a first aid kit (amazes me that most folks don't) but can't make space for a fire extinguisher. A dry chem extinguisher is really handy for putting out small fires, aggressive dogs and agressive drunks. I have jumped at least one automobile from my ST1100 in order to get their dead battery up. The bike has a problem in that the small bike battery may be damaged in attempting to start a much larger automotive engine so I used the bike as a fast charger which required some time. Liquid cooled ST simply sat there making "weeeeee" sound until the car would start with the bike disconnected.

HIH

Norm

Just carry a set of motorcycle jumper cables. Used mine in Dodge City last month. Stopped at Boot Hill Musium and hit the kill switch. Poked around on my GPS for a couple of mins. and then went into the Musium for a couple three hours. Came out, went to turn on the key and it was already on. A few choice words and then I got my cables out and had the car next to me give me a jump.
Remember: When jumping a motorcycle from a car battery, the Car MUST BE OFF (NOT RUNNING) or you take the chance of the car's charging system damaging the motorcycle charging system.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Seeing this thread and doing some farkle work this weekend I decided to wire in a 50 amp powerpole connector for a quick disconnect set of jumper cables. Whn not in use, tuck it back on top the battery. I have some spare connectors from dis-assembled ups batteries.

Anyone know the amperage draw for the starter on a 1300? Or another question, what gauge wire is feeding the starter? I need to make the cable and buy some clamps for the other side of the jumper.

Thanks,
T

Top Bottom