Stupid way to test a battery :-(

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I had a 120 mile ride to an account yesterday and needed to pull over to call another customer. I "assumed" I was in accessory mode and had the flashers on since I was on a major highway but off the shoulder. I took less than 5 minutes to make my call and the bike never started back up; not even a click. Lots of things went through my head, including many 4-letter words, since I immediately knew the battery was depleted (my carelessness was the issue, but that's another topic). :censored Time 8:15am

1) Dig in the wallet for the Honda Protection plan card...not there. Huh??? I look in my Givi where I keep the other docs...not there. Brush, spit, repeat. Nada. :censored

2) Call the wife at work to look up HPP phone number so I can get a jump. No phone number listed ANYWHERE on the web??? :censored Time 8:30am

3) Get phone numbers for dealer I bought the bike from and local one used for services...both open at 9:00am :censored

4) Start searching the web from smart phone...not so smart :censored

5) A guy pulls over to see if he can help :D He doesn't have jumper cables :(

6) Mass Highway Department rolls up just as the concerned citizen is leaving, and he can help! :bow1: I get out tools, unlock seat, remove saddlebag and panel and we jump the bike immediately :D

7) I look around at all the parts that now need to be locked using the key that's in the ignition with the bike running :confused: Got no choice...

8) Turn bike off, wait, and it starts right back up...good sign

9) MHD guy stands around and watches as I put everything back together. Try the bike again and it starts immediately :run1:

10) Hand the guy $20 for his help. Time 9:15am Total time lapse around 1 hour; probably faster than HPP or AAA

11) Bike sat for 6 hours at the account and started right up; another 120 miles home but feeling really good about everything all things considered :)

Lessons learned:

1. I have Bluetooth. Look up the number, make the call, start rolling again (I can't dial via Bluetooth)
2. Glad I pulled over on the highway or I may still be sitting there
3. 4-ways and lights suck the life out of a MC battery in short order when not running ;)
4. Keep a spare key on board!
5. Keep HPP info on board! (The card was in my desk in with some other business cards :eek::
6. Keep HPP info in phone!!!

Side note: Who carries jumper cables on the bike?

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I don't. But maybe I should. Somewhere, I have seen a "small set of jumper cables" for bikes. You have me thinking.

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
Who carries jumper cables on the bike?
I do. I got a set (from CycleNutz maybe?) that came with a SAE connector that connects to the battery posts so no need to get to the battery if I need a jump. Plus I can use the connector for a power supply for other things.
-STeve

Summer - Grand Forks, BC, Winter - Hemet CA
Bike
1999 ST 1100
STOC #
I do, I do!!!!

I made up a set of jumper cables that are about 6' long with alligator clips on either end. They roll up to quite a compact size and fit under the back seat. You don't need too heavy a wire or too much length to jump between most bikes.

Subsequently, I made a set of cables that have quick connect fittings on each end that plug into the connections that stay full time on Deb's and my bikes for the battery tender plug to go into. That set is even more compact, but doesn't work well unless the other bike has the connections fitted.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Don't feel too bad. 2 days before I left for Moonshine I installed a brand new Scorpion battery, bought directly from Scorpion. A week later, during the Moonshine SS1k I stopped for the required receipt at the half way point. I turned the key on long enough to write down the odometer reading & zip the receipt in the tank bag (what, 1 minute tops?) and the bike wouldn't start! My 6 year old original Yuasa had more capacity than that. Fortunately the dash lights came on, so there was enough charge to allow me to push-start the bike (not fun in flat Kansas!)

Jim

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I carry them.
They have clips at both ends because I never know who might need a jump... or what is going to do the jumping.

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
Ditto an the alligator clamps. They connect to the boosters battery then to my SAE plug that my battery tender hooks to.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I do too, made for MC's, got them at Fleet Farm in WI , alligator clips because I may need them for someone else in trouble.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

DixieFlyer

Terry Melton
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Yep...I keep jumper cables & a spare key on my bike. My '04 still has the original Yuasa battery on board, so I know I'm living on borrowed time. I'm now curious how long it'll last, the heat this summer will probably do it in,so I'm prepared for the inevitable .
Glad everything worked out for you and you only lost an hour.
Rgds,
Terry

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I stated caring cables after the wife had a stater fail. Also carry short keys that fit all the locks other than the ignition.

I had a 120 mile ride to an account yesterday and needed to pull over to call another customer. I "assumed" I was in accessory mode and had the flashers on since I was on a major highway but off the shoulder. I took less than 5 minutes to make my call and the bike never started back up; not even a click. Lots of things went through my head, including many 4-letter words, since I immediately knew the battery was depleted (my carelessness was the issue, but that's another topic). :censored Time 8:15am

1) Dig in the wallet for the Honda Protection plan card...not there. Huh??? I look in my Givi where I keep the other docs...not there. Brush, spit, repeat. Nada. :censored

2) Call the wife at work to look up HPP phone number so I can get a jump. No phone number listed ANYWHERE on the web??? :censored Time 8:30am

3) Get phone numbers for dealer I bought the bike from and local one used for services...both open at 9:00am :censored

4) Start searching the web from smart phone...not so smart :censored

5) A guy pulls over to see if he can help :D He doesn't have jumper cables :(

6) Mass Highway Department rolls up just as the concerned citizen is leaving, and he can help! :bow1: I get out tools, unlock seat, remove saddlebag and panel and we jump the bike immediately :D

7) I look around at all the parts that now need to be locked using the key that's in the ignition with the bike running :confused: Got no choice...

8) Turn bike off, wait, and it starts right back up...good sign

9) MHD guy stands around and watches as I put everything back together. Try the bike again and it starts immediately :run1:

10) Hand the guy $20 for his help. Time 9:15am Total time lapse around 1 hour; probably faster than HPP or AAA

11) Bike sat for 6 hours at the account and started right up; another 120 miles home but feeling really good about everything all things considered :)

Lessons learned:

1. I have Bluetooth. Look up the number, make the call, start rolling again (I can't dial via Bluetooth)
2. Glad I pulled over on the highway or I may still be sitting there
3. 4-ways and lights suck the life out of a MC battery in short order when not running ;)
4. Keep a spare key on board!
5. Keep HPP info on board! (The card was in my desk in with some other business cards :eek::
6. Keep HPP info in phone!!!

Side note: Who carries jumper cables on the bike?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Ditto on the keys, best few bucks spent. I can open the left pocket, panniers, remove the seat, etc. without shutting off the bike.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I do, I do!!!!

I made up a set of jumper cables that are about 6' long with alligator clips on either end. They roll up to quite a compact size and fit under the back seat. You don't need too heavy a wire or too much length to jump between most bikes.
:plus1: Cost me a couple bucks and 30 minutes of my time. And mine are also under the rear seat. :yes:

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Just carry a set of motorcycle jumper cables. Used mine in Dodge City last month. Stopped at Boot Hill Musium and hit the kill switch. Poked around on my GPS for a couple of mins. and then went into the Musium for a couple three hours. Came out, went to turn on the key and it was already on. A few choice words and then I got my cables out and had the car next to me give me a jump.
Remember: When jumping a motorcycle from a car battery, the Car MUST BE OFF (NOT RUNNING) or you take the chance of the car's charging system damaging the motorcycle charging system.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I carry jumper cables...

I carry a spare key...

I carry a multi-meter...

I carry a crimp tool and crimp connectors...

I carry a pretty thorough set of tools (not like Kreis Weigel, but...)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Batteries Now carries a set of jumper cables perfect for motorcycles. The set I have, I got at a truck stop many years ago, small clamps, about 6 feet long. The air compressor and multi-meter fit within the center of the loops. All in the tank bag for easy access. :D

Bike
2006 ST1300
I made a set up as well, and I have the extra key also. With the Police switch I installed ,I get in the habit of turning off the headlights for less drain. I now have to get in the habit of turning then back on when I ride.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I carry jumper cables...

I carry a spare key...

I carry a multi-meter...

I carry a crimp tool and crimp connectors...

I carry a pretty thorough set of tools (not like Kreis Weigel, but...)
I carry a credit card ...... and a spare credit card; never let me down :D.

Top Bottom