Summer Riding & How to Manage Heat

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
A friend of mine sent this video link to me. I thought that it might be of interest to many here at this time of year.
It is a video posted by Aerostitch outlining their recommendations on how to manage heat while wearing their gear.
Hopefully it helps some of you deal with extreme heat while riding whether or not you are wearing Aerostitch gear.

Summer Riding & How to Manage Heat

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The big thing in the southeast USA is dealing with the high humidity.
You can dehydrate and not cool as your sweat does not evaporate to cool you as it should.
I've tried those 'cooling vests' and about all they do is get me wet and not cool.
As Joe said, got to keep those fluids flowing in - as well as out! :biggrin:

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I rode home yesterday with a "phase change" cooling vest. I tried the evaporative type, no bueno, too humid. The phase change worked pretty well actually. I wasn't nearly as sweaty as I normally am. The downside to phase change is its good for 2-3 hours. My commute being an hour, it is an option, it was less than half melted when I got home. I'll have to ride with it a bit more to see how it works with vents open, closed, etc. It was certainly better than not having it on wearing an Aerostich. I think jeans and mesh jacket are probably cooler when moving, but the protection is certainly reduced. Riding in heat is always a challenge.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Thanks for posting this @Andrew Shadow I just ordered a one piece under garment for the race suits, will update after a test or two. Conversely, I learned about adjusting to the climate in the winter. I read about not being super warm when one sleeps so that you don’t “think” it’s so cold. I tried it a few times and when it’s toasty in the bed it’s freezing outside.

Heat wise, when traveling across Utah once, I soaked my long sleeve shirt under my mesh jacket and had to tuck my arms in because I was cold lol. I wear a neck gator that I put up over my head and wet it often as well as carrying a spare water bottle to douse the neck and shoulders while riding. Totally wet and cool lasts about 45 minutes for me. My black helmet has to go, I resorted to putting the wet gator in the helmet for a bit to lower the temp before adorning again. White helmets are cooler.

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
French Riviera a few summers ago, soaked helmet, jacket and T Shirt with cold water each time we stopped for fuel. Worked a treat every time in 40 + deg C.

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
40°C is 104°F. That is hot but ...... Some of the guys on this forum are in areas like Texas, where it was 115°F (46°C) the other day, and other parts of the South-West where temperatures over 110°F are common at this time of the year. I have ridden in many of those areas in those summer temperatures several times. I rode through death valley when it was between 110 and 120°F in the shade. It was hot but it is also very dry in Death valley, with very low humidity. I did not find it anywhere near as uncomfortable as I find it in other areas, such as here in Montreal right now, when it is 90°F coupled with high humidity. Some areas of Texas also see high humidity. I can't imagine riding in high humidity coupled with the high temperatures like Texas gets. I understand why many Southern riders stop riding for the summer, same as we do here in the winter. The weather just isn't conducive to it.

At any rate, hopefully the video will be of use to some. More information hopefully is better than less.

Bike
2000 ST1100
The ones here that are saying hydration is #1 are totally correct. I lived through the summer of 2012 when we had heat waves that lasted all summer. Left Illinois at 2am to go to a rally in Dallas TX and I was doing quite well putting the miles away until the sun came up. That big red ball of fire put a hurt'n on me. About 8 am I've gotten maybe 375 miles with temps in the high 80's already. By noon I was at Big cabin near and it was a 100 degrees and I was out of water but no I did not let that deter me. Silly mistake as I was cramping and had to stop and lay down in the shade. I remember to this day a fellow on a Yamaha Virago stopped to see if I was OK. He rode another 12 miles and got me bottles of water. It took me all day to travel 600 miles to Dallas. When I pulled into my motel I heard someone say it was 108 degrees at 7 pm. I literally put the air on high and layed in the airconditioned room all night. So my lesson was learned I had a light heat stroke but it will never happen again. I always travel with a six pack of cold water and ice in my side cases.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I can't imagine riding in high humidity coupled with the high temperatures like Texas gets. I understand why many Southern riders stop riding for the summer, same as we do here in the winter. The weather just isn't conducive to it.
Last month was tough humidity-wise... But stop riding! Bite your tongue sir!... Now, I'll take 100+ over the 30s and lower... lol

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Its not just the hydration, water is often not enough. Was in Arizona in late April, hiking not riding. Plenty of water but that wasn't enough ended up messing up the electrolytes which makes you feel really awful kinda the worst hangover ever. Pedialyte fixed it. If you aren't putting the salts back in as well you might be in for a bad time.

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Last month was tough humidity-wise... But stop riding! Bite your tongue sir!... Now, I'll take 100+ over the 30s and lower... lol
You can get away with it if you can deal with the heat. Winter around here- I don't ride. Asking to be killed if you ask me.

1688665256804.png

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
When it's just too hot, I'm just wearing a T-shirt. I mean, above the belt holding my pants. :biggrin:

That's taking a huge risk. I know. But, it's also fun to feel the hot breeze on my arms.

And I'm willing to take some risks, once on a while.

Bike
VStrom 650
The best advice I've got for anyone who finds summer riding too hot, move to Northumberland.
Pffffffftttttt.
72 feels like 70 with 15 mph from the SW. And today was a "warm one".
Pffffffftttttt.
Don't forget your thermal linings.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Riding a motorcycle in mesh or short sleeves in mid 90s and up - you can’t drink enough water to keep up with the water loss. It’s best to cover up and keep most of the wind off of our skin. Solid textile clothing that effectively vents air through the suit but doesn’t carry off too much moisture is proven to be safer. If the clothing allows enough room to place a large ice pack against your chest or abdomen you’re golden. I rode like this completing a 50CC in July 2014 across MS and TX in 100+ temps then the next day across NM and AZ. 1700 miles over 95 degrees. Every tank of gas I bought an 8 lb bag of ice and poured half of it off. My Aerostich 1 pc had room for 4 lbs ice sitting against my chest which was 3/4 gone by the next gas stop. The melt water kept my clothes wet and it was like air conditioning inside the suit. Shuey told me about the practice and hot weather clothing is referenced on the Iron Butt Assc website.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I rode home yesterday with a "phase change" cooling vest. I tried the evaporative type, no bueno, too humid. The phase change worked pretty well actually. I wasn't nearly as sweaty as I normally am. The downside to phase change is its good for 2-3 hours. My commute being an hour, it is an option, it was less than half melted when I got home. I'll have to ride with it a bit more to see how it works with vents open, closed, etc. It was certainly better than not having it on wearing an Aerostich. I think jeans and mesh jacket are probably cooler when moving, but the protection is certainly reduced. Riding in heat is always a challenge.

What brand is your phase change cooling vest and at what temp do you get over 2 hr out of it?

My Glacier Tech vest is done after about 1 1/2 hr at around 100 F, But it is with a mesh jacket, which may not be the best combination.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Riding a motorcycle in mesh or short sleeves in mid 90s and up - you can’t drink enough water to keep up with the water loss. It’s best to cover up and keep most of the wind off of our skin. Solid textile clothing that effectively vents air through the suit but doesn’t carry off too much moisture is proven to be safer. If the clothing allows enough room to place a large ice pack against your chest or abdomen you’re golden. I rode like this completing a 50CC in July 2014 across MS and TX in 100+ temps then the next day across NM and AZ. 1700 miles over 95 degrees. Every tank of gas I bought an 8 lb bag of ice and poured half of it off. My Aerostich 1 pc had room for 4 lbs ice sitting against my chest which was 3/4 gone by the next gas stop. The melt water kept my clothes wet and it was like air conditioning inside the suit. Shuey told me about the practice and hot weather clothing is referenced on the Iron Butt Assc website.
I don't have the humidity experience like you have, but use a similar method. I wear my 'stich jacket, with a water-soaked T-shirt underneath, and fill my helmet with cold water like a bucket and then dump it out. I've used that in 105-115F rides, in which case it usually dries out after 45 minutes and I repeat the process.

Top Bottom